Relegation watch

Spanish

Rotherham play five games in 11 days. Two of those are Coventry and Birmingham. If anyone thinks they have a big enough squad to play a game every two days and the players will be full of energy and injury free then you are seriously optimistic.

There other three games are QPR, Boro and Barnsley. Both Boro and Barnsley are pushing for the play offs so they won’t give them easy games.

Oh and then on the 27th they go to Brentford.

My view is that we have enough quality in our attack to survive but the coaching and management isn't bringing out the best of that talent.

The drop in goals isn't purely down to individual dips,it's illogical for them all to have suddenly become so unprolific at the same time without there being a central external cause.

The problem us that it's sadly too late to positively change anything to alter it this season.

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

My view is that we have enough quality in our attack to survive but the coaching and management isn't bringing out the best of that talent.

The drop in goals isn't purely down to individual dips,it's illogical for them all to have suddenly become so unprolific at the same time without there being a central external cause.

The problem us that it's sadly too late to positively change anything to alter it this season.

How is Rooney not good enough? He was arguably the best in his generation for forward play, scoring and creating goals. If he cannot teach or coach the forwards on this subject and gain results either the players are not good enough and he isn’t.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Look at our striker situation and you can see why we don't score it isnt Rooneys fault imo. Kazim is not fit and is playing like the overhill player people expected because of it, Gregory is out and Waghorn is bang average and injured half the time or poo the other half of the time with the odd good performance sprinkled in. Jozwiak scores at a rate of 1 goal for every 100 shots its simply the fact we have attackers performing at league 1 quality in the final third. 

Once Gregory gets playing again with Sibley on as well and hopefully Roberts gets a run in the team where he creates some goals we should have just about enough to stay up. 

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think it’s shown now since lockdown we don’t have enough quality. Under two management teams now, we have been poor and we have not had enough competition for places over the season. Compare our bench before we got the new loanees with the same time last year and it’s weaker this season. This is more than management, it’s a substantial lack of quality or inconsistency with the players and a lack of depth and competition for places which means players can keep playing to an average standard and keep getting picked. Before we had Mount Wilson Hughes Ince Bryson etc, we just don’t have the players anymore and some of our team will need that quality around them. 
Goals this season have come from set plays and recently when Kazim has had service. Our players aren’t bold enough to get into the box and the finishing generally isn’t good enough for this league. They obviously need the crowd as well, COVID seems to have affected us more than other teams. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I meant that Rooney doesn't seem to set his team out to try and win games so the default outcome is nul goals and an invariable defeat. 

All those attacking players to choose from and still we can't score goals. I mean WTF is going on?!

2 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I think it’s shown now since lockdown we don’t have enough quality. Under two management teams now, we have been poor and we have not had enough competition for places over the season. Compare our bench before we got the new loanees with the same time last year and it’s weaker this season. This is more than management, it’s a substantial lack of quality or inconsistency with the players and a lack of depth and competition for places which means players can keep playing to an average standard and keep getting picked. Before we had Mount Wilson Hughes Ince Bryson etc, we just don’t have the players anymore and some of our team will need that quality around them. 
Goals this season have come from set plays and recently when Kazim has had service. Our players aren’t bold enough to get into the box and the finishing generally isn’t good enough for this league. They obviously need the crowd as well, COVID seems to have affected us more than other teams. 

No, no, no. This is too obvious it can't be that straightforward!

5 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Look at our striker situation and you can see why we don't score it isnt Rooneys fault imo. Kazim is not fit and is playing like the overhill player people expected because of it, Gregory is out and Waghorn is bang average and injured half the time or poo the other half of the time with the odd good performance sprinkled in. Jozwiak scores at a rate of 1 goal for every 100 shots its simply the fact we have attackers performing at league 1 quality in the final third. 

Once Gregory gets playing again with Sibley on as well and hopefully Roberts gets a run in the team where he creates some goals we should have just about enough to stay up. 

I think Gregory is out for remainder of season, sadly. We have very few options in the central striker role.

Edited by angieram
Spelling!

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Rotherham have 9 matches left. I think it’s between Derby Coventry and Huddersfield but I’m starting to think we’ve had it after watching our last few matches. 

It doesn’t matter how many games they have left if they don’t win them and teams at the bottom don’t tend to win many. Rotherham are averaging less than a point per game all season, over the last five games and over the last ten.

Let’s hope that rate continues.

1 hour ago, minesahartington said:

Norwich never got out of second gear. Didn’t need too. Should. Have had a pen. Roberts made a couple runs and they stood off us a bit but we created nothing really. I don’t think that will be enough against teams that are playing for something. I look for real passion and can’t see it.

Norwich didn’t have anything to play for then? I. saw plenty of desire and effort in the second half but insufficient ability.

I can see Rotherham at best picking up 10 points for the rest of the season looking at their games on paper (not counting in fatigue and injuries etc)

Sheffield Wednesday may well also pick up 10 points in their final games if we include a pessimistic 3 points against us, but it would be a monumental effort for them to do so.

Wycombe seem like they are now dead and buried and may only pick up 4 points at best looking at their last five fixtures.

I'm not saying at all that things are done and dusted but it's looking realistic that two wins should seal it for us... ?

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It doesn’t matter how many games they have left if they don’t win them and teams at the bottom don’t tend to win many. Rotherham are averaging less than a point per game all season, over the last five games and over the last ten.

Let’s hope that rate continues.

It does matter how many they have left and I think they will win at least once before next weekend. Derby should play from now on expecting Rotherham to win all their games in hand. Of course I hope they lose them all but I think they will put up a fight. 

The most frustrating thing this season is that if you literally flip two results (Sheffield Wednesday and one of the Rotherham wins) we are pretty much home and dry. Why do Derby always have to do things the hard way?

46 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Rotherham play five games in 11 days. Two of those are Coventry and Birmingham. If anyone thinks they have a big enough squad to play a game every two days and the players will be full of energy and injury free then you are seriously optimistic.

There other three games are QPR, Boro and Barnsley. Both Boro and Barnsley are pushing for the play offs so they won’t give them easy games.

Oh and then on the 27th they go to Brentford.

Yes, they have a small squad and yes, injuries and fatigue could play a part.

No one has said it will be easy for Rotherham but they have a chance.

No one is saying that they are going to go out and win five in a row. The thing is they don’t even have to win every game to put us under pressure.

Say they perform modestly and win 1, lose 1, draw 1 in the next 3 and we lose v Blackburn, that still puts them within 3 points of us with six games still to play to our four.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

There's not a point this season where we've been prolific though. There was a brief period where we scored a few from set pieces, but our ability to score from open play has been consistently terrible all season.

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

It does matter how many they have left and I think they will win at least once before next weekend. Derby should play from now on expecting Rotherham to win all their games in hand. Of course I hope they lose them all but I think they will put up a fight. 

Of course we should be playing expecting them to win every game in hand but I doubt they will.

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Im sure he knows that already,the problem is that wayne is unable for whatever reason to achieve that aim.....We will know next season for sure whether it's his lack of ability as a coach or not,when he has the funding to create a squad in his image.

image.jpeg.86ead34c5ccc7acf979616abbbfda8b5.jpeg

Edited by TigerTedd

2 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Rotherham have 9 matches left. I think it’s between Derby Coventry and Huddersfield but I’m starting to think we’ve had it after watching our last few matches. 

Wow, so you’re saying Rotherham are safe because they have 9 matches to play. 

they’ve just lost 2 and drawn against a very poor Huddersfield. I honestly doubt they’ll even get the points they need to catch us now. 

we’re the Newcastle of the championship. We’re close enough to the bottom to keep it interesting but ultimately, Fulham don’t have it in them to catch Newcastle, and Rotherham don’t have it in them to catch us. Too many games in too short a time, all against superior opposition. 

we all like to create a bit of drama, but ultimately the most predictable result is normally what will transpire. Saying that Rotherham aren’t even in the ‘it’s between x, y and z’ list is just daft, when they’re clearly the favourites to go down. 

Rotherham could have a great week, beat QPR and Cov, but then lose to an in-form Birmingham next Sunday we beat Blackburn the gap is 4 points still. Then they’ve got to ramp up for tough games against teams at the top end of the table where they’ve struggled. 

I can’t see Rotherham getting more than 47-48 points at best. Wednesday ( if they have a good run ) could be on 45 points going into the last game with us. 

It’s completely down to us. The only way we go down is we don’t win another game this season. 2 wins will make it certain, 1 win could be enough but it will go to the last game. The way we’ve played in the last three matches, IF we continue that we WILL win one of the next 3 games and SHOULD win 2 of the last 5.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

The most frustrating thing this season is that if you literally flip two results (Sheffield Wednesday and one of the Rotherham wins) we are pretty much home and dry. Why do Derby always have to do things the hard way?

That Wednesday game sticks in my mind because it was a travesty we lost, we absolutely battered them and should’ve been 3-0 before they scored