Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

15 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I'd argue that they've not been good the last 2 seasons because the managers have been rubbish.

It's not perceived ability, they've proven they can perform steadily at the top end of the table. Lawrence got 9 goals, 11 assists for Ipswich. Waghorn got 16 goals 13 assists also for Ipswich.

I honestly think if you put Lawrence in Brentford's team he'd be one of the best players in the league.

That’s only 2 players, the squad is positioned at the level of its competence which is my whole point. FWIW I agree totally on Lawrence  

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Considering Rotherham seem to be our main rivals this season, how many of there players would you actually put in our team? 1 or 2 if that? There squads so bad they were even happy to take Jozefzoon of us.

Does this not suggest that we should at least be above Rotherham's level? does this not suggest that either the players aren't playing to there ability? or (more likely in my opinion) the coaches aren't getting the best out of them?

I don't know, there's more to a team than it being the sum of its parts. We have the more gifted individuals, but do they/can they play as a team? You may argue, and quite rightly, that they appeared to do so when Bielik was in the side. We have got some of our better results against the better sides. Rotherham haven't beaten a side ranked 10th or higher. Yet they have beaten the sides in/around them when it mattered including a double over us.

Your comment skirts dangerously close to complacency. There are plenty of sides who remain in divisions as opposed to sides with better players/bigger budgets, precisely because they function as a team. It was a miracle that Wycombe got promoted in the first instance as they already possessed one of the lowest budgets in L1.

There's a view that we are one of the biggest underachievers in the division alongside Forest and the likes of Blackburn. I actually think our squad and players are not as good as we think they are or some of them think themselves to be. Some are carrying injuries (Wisdom), others are talented & young but inconsistent, we have scored 31 goals, the lowest in the division. That is a combination of a lack of creativity (the amount of chances created) and clinical finishing. We have failed to score in 20/42 games (48%). Bielik perhaps was the only midfielder able to offer a different outlet, switching the play.

Apart from the top six, most sides in this division are evenly matched. The fact is that we haven't performed against sides in/around us at times and the points dropped against the likes of Coventry may come to haunt us. We haven't been always professional when it was required or ensured we at least left with a point. 

Rooney has been a big disappointment in how he has managed this side over the past couple of months, but I don't think anybody else would have extracted a whole lot more out of this squad - and I include Paul Cook who I wanted as manager. He's struggled to turn Ipswich around, 2W in 11 and failing to score in 5 of the last 6. They are one of the lowest scorers in L1 & Cook tends to have a reputation as a manager who likes to play attacking football.

I think others described Rooney's impact well @Rammy03. Rooney got us to be more solid and nick wins. But once this gave way, and CKR became less effective (injury), the old problem of lack of goals came back to haunt us. Six in 10 games tells it own story.

13 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Waghorn was Ipswich’s leading scorer with 16 goals, Bird, Knight and Sibley have all attracted the attention of Prem clubs, Joz looks good on the international stage, Byrne is a very solid Champ RB, Marshall a solid Champ keeper, Lawrence can be one of the better players in the division when his heads right.

Waghorn maybe I agree he could do it at a higher level to where we are now. Bird, Knight and Sibley have “allegedly” attracted prem clubs if you believe the press however none were sold in Jan when we were absolutely desperate for cash and none can keep a regular place in a team fighting for relegation. I keep hearing how good Joz has been at international level vs Armenia, however vs the likes of Watford, Swansea and Rotherham he’s been dog poo so doesn’t it wash for me. Byrne and Lawrence I agree with you, Marshall been relegated with every club he’s been at except Celtic, saved a peno for the Jocks and he’s the next Gordon Banks.   

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How do you know that? I think comparing squads is very subjective...

For me it’s a reaction to the players are  useless and solely to blame for our position comments.

Yes the players should shoulder some responsibility as a collective they've been poor. That said there is talent in our squad and experience, they haven’t performed to their potential and/or previous performance levels. They haven’t been helped by management and the injury to Beilik.

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Waghorn maybe I agree he could do it at a higher level to where we are now. Bird, Knight and Sibley have “allegedly” attracted prem clubs if you believe the press however none were sold in Jan when we were absolutely desperate for cash and none can keep a regular place in a team fighting for relegation. I keep hearing how good Joz has been at international level vs Armenia, however vs the likes of Watford, Swansea and Rotherham he’s been dog poo so doesn’t it wash for me. Byrne and Lawrence I agree with you, Marshall been relegated with every club he’s been at except Celtic, saved a peno for the Jocks and he’s the next Gordon Banks.   

Nah......he’s a solid champ keeper though!

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

For me it’s a reaction to the players are  useless and solely to blame for our position comments.

Yes the players should shoulder some responsibility as a collective they've been poor. That said there is talent in our squad and experience, they haven’t performed to their potential and/or previous performance levels. They haven’t been helped by management and the injury to Beilik.

Not sure there is anyway of coming up with anything definitive, management not great, players not great is my take on things...

29 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

That’s only 2 players, the squad is positioned at the level of its competence which is my whole point. FWIW I agree totally on Lawrence  

These 2 + Clarke, I'm not talking about winning the league, I'm only on about being better than the likes of Rotherham and Coventry. Wisdom, Roberts, Gregory, Byrne, Marshall have all shown they are average Championship players, or at least better than mostly League 1 level players our relegation rivals have.

Edited by DCFClks

9 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Maybe so. The thing we’ll never know is what would another management team have done with this squad.

Probably not much more in truth, but possibly ground out the win or draw here and there that would have us feeling a bit safer.

I not mad keen the Rooney is working wonders against impossible odds, but he's not working with that much. There's copious blame to go round this season, and I'd only want to place some of that on Rooney's shoulders.

The thing that is bugging me is there seems to be a lack of heart in the team. If we go down I don't think it's because we didn't have "good enough" players, but because we weren't a good enough team.

32 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I virtually guarantee you'll watch Jozwiak tear up some game playing in a different team, and you'll just remember him being crap for us instead of wondering what we weren't doing to unlock the player we needed.  It's almost a certainty he'll move on next season, and I can recognise there's a good player in there.