Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

Did anyone else notice that macs disappearance from the stands during games coincided with rooneys statement that if the club had wanted steve as manager they would have hired him....

And that his disappearance coincided with our massive dip in fortunes( together with a lack of beilik)

Perhaps waynes over confidence during his brief period of success led to him dismissing macs input.

If it was the case then its about time that wayne asked him for a little assistance again,preferably in the coaching dept.

To my mind its madness that one of the best coaches in the country isnt on the coaching field every day with wayne doing what he does best.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Did anyone else notice that macs disappearance from the stands during games coincided with rooneys statement that if the club had wanted steve as manager they would have hired him....

And that his disappearance coincided with our massive dip in fortunes( together with a lack of beilik)

Perhaps waynes over confidence during his brief period of success led to him dismissing macs input.

If it was the case then its about time that wayne asked him for a little assistance again,preferably in the coaching dept.

To my mind its madness that one of the best coaches in the country isnt on the coaching field every day with wayne doing what he does best.

If you're right and Mac has taken umbrage, then it's on Mac to continue to offer assistance, if he thinks that that would help.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Sadly that’s baalocks, you can support the team 100% whilst at the same time recognise we are in the poo and mistakes have been made...

Utter baalocks I'm afraid..I would agree if people were supporting the team 100% but they are not are they?

Of course mistakes have been made but when some fans are actually gleeful when other results go against us that isn't supporting our club..

3 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Utter baalocks I'm afraid..I would agree if people were supporting the team 100% but they are not are they?

Of course mistakes have been made but when some fans are actually gleeful when other results go against us that isn't supporting our club..

What do you mean by supporting the team 100% exactly? Not voicing opinions about team selections, substitutions, tactics? Isn’t that the point of this forum? Who has been gleeful that other results have gone against us, a few examples???

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I couldn’t disagree more. If McClaren feels his input was surplus to Rooney’s requirements it’s on Rooney to eat a bit of humble pie and ask Mac if he could help him out. 

My attitude to Rooney in that instance would have been “You know best big shot, get the duck on with it”

You may be right, and I may be out of touch, but Rooney has to be in charge, and his players need to see him as being in charge.

Experienced and senior directors shouldn't be thinking, "That young whipper-snapper needs to eat some humble pie, and beg me for my help."

The director should find the best way to continue to offer support.

If a subordinate of mine isn't doing well, and think that they know best, I don't seek to undermine my organisation until I get an apology.

Indeed, isn't Mac's role to advise Rooney - not to be the manager - so wasn't Rooney correct in what he had to say?

Maybe Rooney was voicing a frustration about the managerial structure. But, again, surely that was something for the directors to resolve.

But, if the claim is that Mac has thrown his teddies out of the pram - and won't watch matches - because that nasty Rooney said mean things - then surely it is not the job of the less experienced, and junior member of staff, to massage the ego of the more senior one!

Personally, I think that it is far more likely that Mac was sitting in the stands to keep the Dubai consortium happy in some way, and stopped when that was no longer necessary.

22 hours ago, DCFClks said:

But why do you automatically blame the players for this? Is it not the tactics and setup which create chances as well?

I think the players available at a manager's disposal also dictate tactics. You can't make players do things they can't do (their limitations), you try to play to their strengths. Here, some criticism may be levelled at Rooney at how he has deployed Knight. There's a lack of pace in the side, for instance. (I certainly agree with your comment about recruitment) The likes of Jozwiak may indeed look better in another side, but that's because he'd probably receive better service (if playing in a side with more creative midfielders) rather than feeding off scraps.

I pointed out the BBC stats because it highlights the deficiencies in our squad. 

As for managers, football is a small world, I'm sure clubs make overtures (via agents) to out of work/available managers even when the present manager is in situ; they sound each other out, or say, in the case of Cardiff, a good relationship continues between the owners & the former boss, Warnock, they ask his advice and he may point them to McCarthy.

The point I'm trying to say is that while there are a limited number of jobs, & managers can't be choosy, how is anyone to know that Wilder would have wanted to manage us in our current situation (on & off-field)? The same with McCarthy. Both may have passed up the opportunity to wait for something better.

I'm not arguing with your point about regression and hints of desperation, it has been immensely disappointing. It may be that the manager cannot do anymore with what he has. I feel Rooney is counting/gambling on Rotherham running out of gas which is dangerous. We need to start helping ourselves.

Edited by Asanovic70

21 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

...I feel Rooney is counting/gambling on Rotherham running out of gas which is dangerous. We need to start helping ourselves.

I agree with what went before this, but cannot agree that Rooney was counting on anything other than us getting enough points and it being in our hands. I think his reaction after the Blackburn game (penalty claim) shows that, he's normally quite anodyne in what he says.

Edited by RoyMac5

11 hours ago, Yani P said:

Lame response from you ... anyone who is a long time fan will know that however we might despair or be out of sympathy once a match starts we can do no other than support the club. Fans like you simply can't take any criticism of the club and have to rationalise by 'deciding' some fans want the club to fail.

5 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Lame response from you ... anyone who is a long time fan will know that however we might despair or be out of sympathy once a match starts we can do no other than support the club. Fans like you simply can't take any criticism of the club and have to rationalise by 'deciding' some fans want the club to fail.

Spot on, if we don’t bury our head in the sand like them we are somehow not true supporters....load of baalocks ?

On 17/04/2021 at 14:45, Jimbo Ram said:

Davies has been out for most of the season, not sure any of those, other than perhaps Gregory, would have started yesterday. This is no Steve Mac 2 injury crisis, nowhere near. Wazza was dealt an incredibly difficult hand that he has played pretty averagely....his inexperience has also showed too.....

Any of Davies, Edmundson or Mengi would have started over Clarke - Clarke was simply the least injured out of the 4.
Any of Waghorn, Gregory or Stretton would have started as a CF - Kazim didn't start as he is battling through his own niggles. Even Lawrence had to play longer than he should have because we have no-one else at the moment.

1 hour ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think the players available at a manager's disposal also dictate tactics. You can't make players do things they can't do (their limitations), you try to play to their strengths. Here, some criticism may be levelled at Rooney at how he has deployed Knight. There's a lack of pace in the side, for instance. The likes of Jozwiak may indeed look better in another side, but that's because he'd probably receive better service (if playing in a side with more creative midfielders) rather than feeding off scraps.

I accept our squad has limits but were talking about having enough to merely avoid relegation, not win the league. I believe there's enough ability to at least play better than they are currently. I watched Birmingham vs Rotherham and Rotherham play better football than us with a lower quality squad. It's not just Jozwiak. Sibley, Knight, Bird, Lawrence, Clarke. Even Waghorn. They'd all probably be better in other teams. When the lists that long surely it can't be a coincidence that they're all underperforming individually.

2 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

how is anyone to know that Wilder would have wanted to manage us in our current situation (on & off-field)? The same with McCarthy. Both may have passed up the opportunity to wait for something better.

They may well have but they could have got someone, anyone with at least some experience would have been better. Even in just the assistant manager position. Someone like Wassall for example. 

19 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What do you mean by supporting the team 100% exactly? Not voicing opinions about team selections, substitutions, tactics? Isn’t that the point of this forum? Who has been gleeful that other results have gone against us, a few examples???

Possibly he means being at least even handed in voicing opinions. Some seem very keen to criticise but not so keen to offer support. Surely as Derby fans we hope for the best even if we fear for the worst. Personally I'd rather keep quiet than moan. Takes all sorts though I suppose. 

9 hours ago, DRBee said:

Ummmm...

... I do hear the occasional piece of criticism shouted from the stands during matches. ? lol