Who shall we buy then?

IslandExile

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Will Mel sell the ground back to himself again to stay within FFP????

Wasn’t it said FFP will be relaxed over the next season or so because of all the losses due to the pandemic? Sure I read that somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm not sure that the EFL have addressed this at all yet. They are too busy in the process of trying to ruin it's members. The hypocritical set of cNuts. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/football-financial-fair-play-rules-to-be-ripped-up-after-covid-crisis You’re right it’s UEFA looking into it but you’d hope EFL will follow if they do.

3 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I'm not confident they will tbh with you. Personally I think it's time for a shake up in the hierarchy and structure of the EFL. The way they are acting will eventually contribute to their downfall. Mel saw that it was time for a change long before covid hit and that seems to be driving why they are continually targeting us. 

I hope that we don’t do any thing stupid. For every Wolves, there is are a dozen that fail with a quick fix.  Brentford who have also been mentioned have bought cheap and sold for profit but have also taken the time to build a team. 

I think challenging for a play off place next season is realistic, we should aim for the same the next year but billed as promotion. 

lets try to do a bigger version of Brentford rather than a cheaper version of Wolves.

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Back to the topic, if possible I wouldnt mind Clarke being made permanent, seems realistic if the take over goes through and we stay up.

Meh. He cost Brighton £3,000,000 from League One. He’s now got two Championship seasons experience behind him, at least one Player of the Season award at this level and Brighton don’t need to sell. 

Plus, I think he’s better than Ben White. 

No chance we can afford him. 

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Might be worth reading/listening to his whole interview before writing the guy off.

Basically said if we needed to spend 20m on a player he would but if a player on a free improves us he would do that too, so basically of it improves us be is willing to do it, isnt that what we all want? He also said he wont just throw cash around etc. Dorsett has picked a highlights reel for his tweets but with little context.

Back to the topic, if possible I wouldnt mind Clarke being made permanent, seems realistic if the take over goes through and we stay up.

The trouble is, people are too lazy to do that.

29 minutes ago, cannable said:

Meh. He cost Brighton £3,000,000 from League One. He’s now got two Championship seasons experience behind him, at least one Player of the Season award at this level and Brighton don’t need to sell. 

Plus, I think he’s better than Ben White. 

No chance we can afford him. 

If he was better than Ben White he would be playing in the premiership and not scrapping around at the bottom of the championship - he’s ok but lacks pace so he will never survive in the premiership 

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If he was better than Ben White he would be playing in the premiership and not scrapping around at the bottom of the championship - he’s ok but lacks pace so he will never survive in the premiership 

Dele Ali went from playing in League One to making his England debut in about four months. A player’s circumstance is by no means reflective of their ability. 

On pace, Lewis Dunk literally plays for Brighton.

This will be interesting - might even get a few players from overseas? Can't find a comprehensive list of his clients but I imagine that will be where we start.

He's obviously not a bad agent, was looking at Payet (one of his) and thinking at 34 he might be an option, but he's Marseille's highest earner (reported 100k per week) and is contracted until he's 37. In spite of which he refused to take a pay cut during lockdown.

I'd imagine we will also be looking at youngish players elsewhere that are tipped to step up. So maybe Dembele, Lewis-Potter, Curtis, Jephcott, Clarke-Harris. Buy from league one for minor gambles in the hope of them a) continuing to develop, and b) multiplying in value.  To be honest that also sounds very enticing.

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our amortisation policy means it's not a problem to sign a player for £1b up until the moment he leaves the club

Hasn’t that been abandoned because it wasn’t compliant as well as ducking stupid 

12 minutes ago, Jram said:

We could spend £150 million but it depends if Mbappe is right for the club 

I thought Tom Ince’s mum had ruled him out.