The Advice Corner

David

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

5 of Reading's 12 most used players are academy graduates.
3 of Derby's 14 most used players are academy graduates.

Reading are 7th, Derby are 20th.

My point still stands. We’ve burned out Knight, Buchanan and Bird. Binned off Lowe, Bogle, Bennett and Whittaker and look silly by chasing this nonsense. 

The championship is a very physical league. We often produce young players with lots of talent but who physically remain 'boys' into their twenties. 

Perhaps we're a bit soft as a club? I'm not sure how we go about changing that. 

Rooney seems keen to pack his team with more robust types. However we now have a team short on pace and skill. 

The transfer window will give an idea of his priorities and style of play. 

I hope we can find the right blend of youngsters and more experienced professionals. 

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The championship is a very physical league. We often produce young players with lots of talent but who physically remain 'boys' into their twenties. 

Perhaps we're a bit soft as a club? I'm not sure how we go about changing that. 

Rooney seems keen to pack his team with more robust types. However we now have a team short on pace and skill. 

The transfer window will give an idea of his priorities and style of play. 

I hope we can find the right blend of youngsters and more experienced professionals. 

We need more young 'uns out of the "Steve Powell" mould.

Just now, Grumpy Git said:

We need more young 'uns out of the "Steve Powell" mould.

Ebosele fits that. He's like a computer game figure, moving really fast and bashing anything in front of him out of the way. 

He's still a bit raw tactically and positionally but I think he'd make an excellent impact sub off the bench if you could play him in front of Byrne. 

The two of them together would give any left back a hard time. 

22 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

My point still stands. We’ve burned out Knight, Buchanan and Bird. Binned off Lowe, Bogle, Bennett and Whittaker and look silly by chasing this nonsense. 

How does your point stand? Reading are proof that a team made up of 50% academy graduates can compete at the right end of the table once they have a bit of experience behind them. Barnsley and Brentford are proof that a very young team can compete at the top end of the table, having the youngest and 2nd youngest squads in the league.

How do we look silly?
What "nonsense" do you refer to?

"Burned out"? It's typical of young players to ebb in and out of form.
"Binned off", by selling 2 of those two a PL club, another to a side which was chasing top 2, and a large percentage of people wanted rid of the 4th player asap.

We have named the 11th and 28th oldest starting lineups this season, with Birmingham and Sheff Weds naming 20 of the other 26. We picked up 1 point in those games against lowly Wycombe. 
Isn't it clear that the older players in our squad aren't good enough?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How does your point stand? Reading are proof that a team made up of 50% academy graduates can compete at the right end of the table once they have a bit of experience behind them. Barnsley and Brentford are proof that a very young team can compete at the top end of the table, having the youngest and 2nd youngest squads in the league.

How do we look silly?
What "nonsense" do you refer to?

"Burned out"? It's typical of young players to ebb in and out of form.
"Binned off", by selling 2 of those two a PL club, another to a side which was chasing top 2, and a large percentage of people wanted rid of the 4th player asap.

We have named the 11th and 28th oldest starting lineups this season, with Birmingham and Sheff Weds naming 20 of the other 26. We picked up 1 point in those games against lowly Wycombe. 
Isn't it clear that the older players in our squad aren't good enough?

Our failure this season is nothing to do with the young players, it is poor performances and injuries to senior players coupled with a mentality of stopping the opposition first. That and wafter thin squad!

There was nothing wrong with the vision of 50% academy players. The problem is, we decided to do it at a point where we couldn't bring in the reliable experience we needed. 

I will be quite disappointed if we decide to flood the squad and leave no space for the young players.

Employ a good manager who recruits well and wins football matches. Don't ask anybodys advice on how to do this though as it is pretty much pot luck. If this works then take full credit for it as an affirmation of the "culture" and "identity" that you have created. 

If you do that then you don't need to respect the fans in any way whatsoever. Fans forums, transparency, communication, free coach travel/scarves, season ticket price freezes, academy development, DCCT etc. count for nothing unless you win.  

On 08/04/2021 at 19:43, Cool As Custard said:

First & most importantly piece of advice don't read this forum!

Wise words, even if in jest. The owner should have a PA who prints out selected (positive) posts for the owner to gloat over. And should not look at the rest. Same goes for the players. Lest we forget, they are all only human. 

And on a selfish note, if the owner read this forum he’d probably recruit ghost of clough as his FD and then, where would we all be ?

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wise words, even if in jest. The owner should have a PA who prints out selected (positive) posts for the owner to gloat over. And should not look at the rest. Same goes for the players. Lest we forget, they are all only human. 

And on a selfish note, if the owner read this forum he’d probably recruit ghost of clough as his FD and then, where would we all be ?

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago