Rooney’s Style of Play/Identity

David

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

A certain style of play is only effective for a while and has to be fluid to some extent. e.g: It was great under Mac1 until teams found us out and then it wasn't again. No plan B.

Lack of plan B is a poor analysis of Mac 1, and it isn't why we fell away. We fell away because we got key injuries and couldn't maintain our level without the two most important positions being filled. A certain style of play if done well enough is all you need. I don't remember Leeds and Bielsa being fluid. Or Wolves with Nuno. Or Leicester with Nigel Pearson. I can keep going. In fact, I can't think of a team in this league that is good at multiple styles. 

For me if WR keeps us up this season it will be a successful job, Next season I always said will be the season to judge him, to see what players he brings in and what style of football he plays ( more adventurous). I wasn’t in the WR manager camp, but he is our manager and will back him, but next season we have to see a lot more imo 

Its easy to say that you need new players and time to implement your style without hinting what that might be.   As others have said, there has been too much change from game to game and this  from the guy who identified the need to simplify things after Cocu.  Having said that, Wayne hasn't even been free to bring his own backroom staff yet and if he stays I kinda hope he changes it up.

20 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Its easy to say that you need new players and time to implement your style. So he hasn't said anything interesting  really.   As others have said, there has been too much change from game to game and this  from the guy who identified the need to simplify things after Cocu.  Having said that, Wayne hasn't even been free to bring his own backroom staff yet and if he stays I kinda hope he changes it up.

Most worrying thing about young Wayne is that when it becomes clear that the plan is not working, it takes him a long time to change it up. Still not really sure to what extent his coaching ‘team’ have influence over the strategy. 

6 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Study how our opponents play, then match it like for like. We then lose, as we've only trained in these tactics for 3-5 day's, not all season. Im not saying we have many, but i can't wait for us to play to our strengths,give the other team some problems.

you might be waiting a long time...

5 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Yes we want each player to put their best foot forward, put their shoulder to the wheel, their nose to the grindstone, and bend over backwards for the team. But try not to do themselves a mischief in doing these

.....kock on the block too!

16 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Just FYI, playing is totally different to coaching. It doesn't matter what he did in his playing days, its about coaching badges and experience which he has neither.

A lot of top coaches didn't even play at the highest level.

Thanks

That is kind of what I meant by 

These younger men who get these opportunities are perceived to have earned the right through there playing exploits, it does not mean they will be successful but it does help to open doors as they are proven winners.

16 hours ago, Andicis said:

Lack of plan B is a poor analysis of Mac 1,

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's the easy meme.

15 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's tiring seeing people lazily repeat it. 

I remember well at the time - going by most of the criticisms levelled against Mac1 when we stopped blowing teams away, the lack of Plan B was top of the list according to the consensus on here & elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I remember well at the time - going by most of the criticisms levelled against Mac1 when we stopped blowing teams away, the lack of Plan B was top of the list according to the consensus on here & elsewhere.

At least we had a plan A ?

23 hours ago, David said:

I know this has come up a lot on the forum over the last few weeks, today it was addressed in his press conference. 

I must admit,I thought winning each game was the whole idea for every manager Wayne?

Will be great to see an actual football style being developed and shown next season but I don't really understand why this development hasn't been very evident this year.

As it stands I have absolutely no clue as to Rooney's preferred style of play other than in trying emulating part of rowetts 'running around a lot' system (but without the counter attack).

It will surely improve.

I don't really understand the argument that adapting to our own style would cost us points but constantly re-adapting to beat the opposition won't? I understood the keep it tight philosophy when he immediately took over and we needed points badly but he's had plenty of time to stamp his mark on the team. If he had done so maybe we'd have taken more than 11 points from the last 12 games leading us back into significant peril of relegation. 

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

If he had done so maybe we'd have taken more than 11 points from the last 12 games leading us back into significant peril of relegation. 

Yeah, the small squad is free-scoring and exciting, full of confidence - no worries about them!

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I don’t think there was a Plan B,I thought the plan was that we were so good at the way we played that was it.

All sorts of factors spoilt it,injuries,kicking the crap out of Martin etc.

Just go out to score as many goals as you can, don’t worry about the opposition, enjoy and entertain. That’s all I’d like Wayne, nothing else, no fancy tactics. Actually just the exact opposite of what we’ve had to endure this season ?

Archived