Players best position

Donegal Ram

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And that the players 'are good in parts' mate!

My take on the situation is Rooney is constantly trying to address the players inability to play consistently well in any formation .

I think the main problem is only Clarke plays well consistently and now he is injured. 

All the other players are either injured or knackered .

People say Rooney plays wrong formations and puts players in wrong positions ie Sibley should play 10 etc

We need consistency and the players are a big part of that as is the manager .

You see a player do well one game and poorly next game and than we get Rooney out etc 

What if the next manager can’t sort the players out what then. 

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

People say Rooney plays wrong formations and puts players in wrong positions ie Sibley should play 10 etc

You see a player do well one game and poorly next game and than we get Rooney out etc 

Yes as I said in my original post - it appears chicken and egg, which comes first. My overall take is that the poor squad in depth and skill is causing constant change in formations, mostly. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes as I said in my original post - it appears chicken and egg, which comes first. My overall take is that the poor squad in depth and skill is causing constant change in formations, mostly. 

We are on the same page then mate. 

I misunderstood your point .

So much Rooney out and New manager needed stuff it’s hard to keep track on here  

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

We are on the same page then mate. 

I misunderstood your point .

So much Rooney out and be manager needed stuff it’s hard to keep track  

?

If we gave the 'famous player' Cocu at least a season then we shouldn't think that 'famous player' Rooney should get less. I'm not sure what most fans are expecting with the pitiful squad we have - no real striker, Bielik injured, bench full of youngsters, experienced players not performing - there was unlikely to be consistency.

I don't even think the midfield 3 have been individually bad in and of themselves. We seem to have 3 players being told to protect the back 4 and give it to players in more 'creative' roles when the trouble is we haven't got any players who are being allowed to be more attacking. Take one of Shinnie or Bird out, tell Knight to be more box-to-box like he was when he was playing better, even give hime some freedom to pull wide and link up with Byrne if needed. Then fill the last spot of the 3 with either Sibley told to play forward and press high or Lawrence behind the strikers. Might as well have a go at teams because chopping and changing and setting up not to lose is the reason we're where we are atm in my opinion

I think this sums up why we look our best when we play in a 4-4-2. 

It is simple. Get the ball out wide and get crosses into the box for the forwards. 

I would go with this for our next match:

Marshall

Bryne  Wisdom Mengi   Forsyth

Jozwiak Knight Shinnie Roberts

Kaz    Lawrence

Lawrence can drift back and play in a more No.10 role. Keep it simple, use more senior players and see what happens.

Obviously consider players like Waggy and Gregory if they can get back fit.

48 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I think this sums up why we look our best when we play in a 4-4-2. 

It is simple. Get the ball out wide and get crosses into the box for the forwards. 

I would go with this for our next match:

Marshall

Bryne  Wisdom Mengi   Forsyth

Jozwiak Knight Shinnie Roberts

Kaz    Lawrence

Lawrence can drift back and play in a more No.10 role. Keep it simple, use more senior players and see what happens.

Obviously consider players like Waggy and Gregory if they can get back fit.

I don't think I would ever play Wisdom and Mengi together again. 

There is no chemistry there. We saw how Wisdom shouted at him in his first game. 

Yesterday Reading worked out very quickly that a long ball over the top would confuse the pair of them. 

I don't think I've seen centre halves get the wrong side of their man so often. 

Wisdom and Clarke is our best pairing but even they look a little shell-shocked at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

We don’t have any really poor players anymore. Over the years I can think of Camara, Blackman, Butterfield, Shackell when we were trying to play out from the back and Christie as players that were either clear weak links or simply didn’t fit the way we played. We also don’t seem to have a “scapegoat” like we normally do, one player for whom we almost unanimously agree we would do much better without.

This thread hits the nail on the head. Every player is competent and comfortable enough in playing in different positions, but that’s not enough. I used to say of Bryson that we never played well because of him, but when we did play well, he was often out best player. His neatness, tidiness and stamina transformed into influence, technique and energy.

We have a team of Brysons now, but we have no catalyst and no clear plan A. It seems we move on to plan C before we even looked at plan A or B. We’re a team of decent players who would look good in a great side but there is no magic formula to transform them into something special with this combination of players.

If only we had a team of Brysons. 

A really good thread this. We are blinded by fitness & technical ability as key measures of what makes a good footballer these days. I’m not saying those things are not important but what seems lacking for lots of teams, not just ours, is the ability for players to think for themselves and adapt to the game as it changes around them. You see glimpses of it every now and then but nowhere near enough as you’d like. It’s seems to be an accepted fact that football automatically improves with every passing year but I think I’m in a minority in thinking that isn’t true. The ability of knowing where to run, what space to occupy, when to pass and when to standstill has been more evident in lots of Derby team’s that have preceded this one. You can’t prove it but I truly believe if you could transport Cox’s late eighties team to play against our current crop they would walk it, as would the Smith promotion team, Billy Davies’ poohouse mob and Mac1 or 2. The point that was made about having a team full of technical players is great but you need those players who just have that something else, not genius but a bit of guile and know how to react to the game they’re in.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

There is no chemistry there. We saw how Wisdom shouted at him in his first game. 

Yesterday Reading worked out very quickly that a long ball over the top would confuse the pair of them. 

Wisdom and Clarke is our best pairing but even they look a little shell-shocked at the moment. 

I'd prefer Wisdom and Clarke, but Wisdom and Mengi are our only fit centre backs at the moment.

Clarke will be out for a couple of weeks, as will Edmundson, and Davies is obviously out for the season.

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

My take on the situation is Rooney is constantly trying to address the players inability to play consistently well in any formation .

I think the main problem is only Clarke plays well consistently and now he is injured. 

the problem is not the formations for me. It's to do with the constant worrying about the opposition and setting up every game to stop the other team. We should be focusing on ourselves. We easily have players good enough to get us out this relegation battle. We need to be playing faster tempo, quick passes into feet, more intense football. Not this boring, slow, long ball into CKR, defensive style we're seeing at moment. 

I am less bothered losing games than i am seeing us play like this. 

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

to answer your question, if the next manager can't get anything out these players then he is probably not the right man either. 

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

to answer your question, if the next manager can't get anything out these players then he is probably not the right man either. 

I think you must massively overate our players they are average at best sorry 

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

unfortunately that confuses Wisdom even when he's got Clarke alongside him. 

Just now, Chris_Martin said:

even if their average at best that should see us mid table, not where we are now.

We have no strikers, bar a limited goal scorer and Waghorn who has only just decided to be bothered and a now injured Gregory.

Archived