Rooney Out!

Birdyabroad

45 minutes ago, Bororam 57 said:

In reply to macca taking the reins for the last 3 games, good shout because if I'm right when he sat in the stands prior to taking one of his jobs with us, wasn't we 3 0 down at half time against Ipswich I think and he entered the dressing room, gave the players the hairdryer treatment and we came back and drew 3 3 correct me if I'm wrong 

4-1 down at HT and drew 4-4

Can't believe its 10:25am and Rooney is still in place. Owners must be resigned to relegation.

If it was my club I'd be on the blower to Burton Albion doing a deal. Lend us Jimmy Floyd for 3 matches - if he keeps us up he can pick any player to have on loan at Burton next season. In fact he can have as many as he wants.

8 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Largely agree. When people say we've got a poor squad they're right, but only in comparison to our own squads of previous seasons. Compared to other squads in the Championship this season it's no way as poor as others. Wycombe, Rotherham and Coventry aren't better, and the likes of Luton, Preston, Huddersfield and Birmingham are no great shakes either. No way is our squad in the bottom three in terms of quality.

Yep exactly what we are missing is a goal scorer if we had another player that scored 7/8 we’d of been safe but players like Waghorn haven’t stepped up, yes we’ve had injuries issues but this squad definitely has enough to survive

10 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Largely agree. When people say we've got a poor squad they're right, but only in comparison to our own squads of previous seasons. Compared to other squads in the Championship this season it's no way as poor as others. Wycombe, Rotherham and Coventry aren't better, and the likes of Luton, Preston, Huddersfield and Birmingham are no great shakes either. No way is our squad in the bottom three in terms of quality.

Rubbish we have no quality that’s why we’re in the bottom 4 the league table doesn’t lie.

5 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Can't believe its 10:25am and Rooney is still in place. Owners must be resigned to relegation.

If it was my club I'd be on the blower to Burton Albion doing a deal. Lend us Jimmy Floyd for 3 matches - if he keeps us up he can pick any player to have on loan at Burton next season. In fact he can have as many as he wants.

He has done well at Burton but having had to sit through his QPR and Northampton sides it's a no from me

16 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

But they’re not producing quality for whatever reason. Some of our players have ability occasionally but consistency is needed. The last few matches I’ve seen players giving away cheap free kicks naively, not bothering to mark attackers from a corner, not picking up men running into the box, slowing down calling for offside when there’s none and failing to clear basic crosses which lead to goals. This isn’t right. It’s more than tactical, it’s either desire or quality or both. 
Also we must have one of the thinnest squads in this league and have loads of injuries. How many fit strikers do we have ? Bet those clubs have more than 1. 
Rooney and the coaching staff need to go today because it isn’t working and many of these players need to leave ASAP. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

1 hour ago, Bororam 57 said:

In reply to macca taking the reins for the last 3 games, good shout because if I'm right when he sat in the stands prior to taking one of his jobs with us, wasn't we 3 0 down at half time against Ipswich I think and he entered the dressing room, gave the players the hairdryer treatment and we came back and drew 3 3 correct me if I'm wrong 

You're wrong.

If sales and purchase agreements have been signed, as seems to have been alluded to, the selling party is not able to make material differences to the 'goods' being sold without the permission of the buyer.

I would presume sacking a high profile manager (and the financial consequences thereof) would constitute a material change!

Once again, the club's over-arching strategy from the last 18 months (at least) of a change in ownership leaves us between a rock and a hard place.

What if the buyer has a clause that reduces the purchase price if we are relegated; he might actually want Rooney to stay!

22 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

There's a follow up on his twitter feed, to the effect that he "understands the board are disappointed with the run of results", but careful to point out that there is "no official statement from the club yet..." 

That's just about covered all the bases...... 

Is it Barry?

16 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Rubbish we have no quality that’s why we’re in the bottom 4 the league table doesn’t lie.

Thanks for your considered response. We absolutely deserve to be in the bottom 4. The point I was making was that that position is due to a combination of factors: poor coaching, underperforming players, lack of a cutting edge, basic errors, continued poor recruitment, financial problems, etc., unless you think that this squad of players (many of whom finished 10th last season) can't possibly hope to compete with the Galacticos of Luton.

Edited by Olton Ram

1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

I am not sure how that can be determined other than results on the pitch and where we are in the table. Who knows what an experienced Manager might have got out of these players rather than the novice currently in charge?? Would Cocu have turned it around without the Rooney influence? I wanted Paul Cook but Ipswich have gone 8 hours now I think without scoring a goal. I think we have very average players that an inexperienced, rookie Manager could not get sufficient out of to enable us to compete and stay in the division.....

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am not sure how that can be determined other than results on the pitch and where we are in the table. Who knows what an experienced Manager might have got out of these players rather than the novice currently in charge?? Would Cocu have turned it around without the Rooney influence? I wanted Paul Cook but Ipswich have gone 8 hours now I think without scoring a goal. I think we have very average players that an inexperienced, rookie Manager could not get sufficient out of to enable us to compete and stay in the division.....

I agree with most of that; it's fine margins. We'll never know what a different manager could have done with the same players, so it's down to personal opinion really. But a lot of these players finished 10th last season, and I don't remember many posters (if any) claiming back in September that we had one of the worst squads in the league and were in serious danger of relegation. As I posted further up, we absolutely deserve to be where we are for a whole host of reasons, but most of these players should be able to compete with the teams around and immediately above us. Stating that they're not good enough in comparison to the players at the likes of Huddersfield or Luton is almost letting them off the hook; they've massively underperformed. 

1 minute ago, Olton Ram said:

I agree with most of that; it's fine margins. We'll never know what a different manager could have done with the same players, so it's down to personal opinion really. But a lot of these players finished 10th last season, and I don't remember many posters (if any) claiming back in September that we had one of the worst squads in the league and were in serious danger of relegation. As I posted further up, we absolutely deserve to be where we are for a whole host of reasons, but most of these players should be able to compete with the teams around and immediately above us. Stating that they're not good enough in comparison to the players at the likes of Huddersfield or Luton is almost letting them off the hook; they've massively underperformed. 

To be fair, the end of the previous season, when we lost 5 out of our last 6 games, led me to think all wasn't rosy in the garden. I predicted a 15th place finish this season at the start and thought we might struggle. I didn't honestly believe we would go down though....

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

To be fair, the end of the previous season, when we lost 5 out of our last 6 games, led me to think all wasn't rosy in the garden. I predicted a 15th place finish this season at the start and thought we might struggle. I didn't honestly believe we would go down though....

Again, agree. Many posters on here would have predicted another underwhelming season given the shortcomings of the squad, but not a relegation struggle. And yet both last season and this the team were at the top of the form table for a period; last season Cocu's team went on a run of only three defeats in 18, before going on that late-season losing streak. Trying to predict what Derby County will do next is a hiding to nothing! ?‍♂️