Rooney Out!

Birdyabroad

Hasn't he gone yet???

As stated previously I was on the fence about him, hoping he'd find the right combination to steer us clear and set us up for next season, but last night that performance tipped the scales.  Both Preston & Blackburn were sides in mediocre to terrible form, cruising til the end of the season with naff all to play for, and we rolled over like an eager puppy wanting a treat, and a "Good boy!" pat on the head.

Wasn't particularly impressed with his comments on the Super League either.  That was a response from someone not wanting to annoy prospective employers.  I say what I like about Fwank, but at least he was smart enough to realise he wouldn't be going onto bigger and better things until he did a decent job with his current team.

If Mel wants to go out with a reputation of a man who did his best to please the fans, he'd have the corner flag making a statement by midday...

Edited by ramsbottom

We’ve well and truly been conned in to league 1. 

I wasn’t a fan of Rooney coming in from Cocu’s shadow in the first place. Then fair play to Rooney he got us winning matches and going up the league. At the time he was appointed he was being linked to the Celtic job but regardless of this our hand was forced in to giving him the gig. Turns out this was the Bielik affect.   

Now we look doomed to league 1 after inexplicably not being able to get 6 points from about 30. No fight, no passion, I think it’s game over. 

As for next season I really don’t want Rooney in charge to lead the fight back. However Mel appears broke and Alonso seems a cowboy. We’ll be lucky to finish top 10 in league 1 at this rate. How depressing.

I think the thing that hurts the most is that, if you really think about it, putting Wayne Rooney in the managerial hotseat was never really about results or performances. It was about selling this club.

I think Rooney was given the job because there was an idea/perception that it would make us more attractive to prospective buyers. That it would make us more "marketable" to investors. That it might just help Mel get shot of us. 

It never made sense to hire, in this season with how it started, a rookie manager. Let alone a manager who has literally just stepped off the pitch with no badges. And now we're paying the price for that. 

In my opinion, hiring Wayne Rooney looks like a decision that was made for the benefit of the bank account, and not the football.

I'm still absolutely fuming over last night's performance. I haven't wanted to see a corner flag so much in years! ?

I know I'm only echoing what plenty of others have said, but come on Mel... even if you don't want to pay him off, put him on gardening leave and let the Mac take charge of the last 3 games. Something needs to change because, at the minute, it looks like we're going down without even putting up a fight.

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Hasn't he gone yet???

As stated previously I was on the fence about him, hoping he'd find the right combination to steer us clear and set us up for next season, but last night that performance tipped the scales.  Both Preston & Blackburn were sides in mediocre to terrible form, cruising til the end of the season with naff all to play for, and we rolled over like an eager puppy wanting a treat, and a "Good boy!" pat on the head.

Wasn't particularly impressed with his comments on the Super League either.  That was a response from someone not wanting to annoy prospective employers.  I say what I like about Fwank, but at least he was smart enough to realise he wouldn't be going onto bigger and better things until he did a decent job with his current team.

If Mel wants to go out with a reputation of a man who did his best to please the fans, he'd have the corner flag making a statement by midday...

But would you pay off Wazza and his staff if you were in Mel’s shoes? Another couple of million on top of everything else? He probably realises it’s too late, the games up. I personally would put him on gardening leave in the short term and put Mac in charge but I am not convinced he will be able to turn things around now, address the rot and decline that has set in under Wazza. So painfully disappointing but not totally surprising. His appointment was a big gamble that has backfired big time.

9 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I'm still absolutely fuming over last night's performance. I haven't wanted to see a corner flag so much in years! ?

I know I'm only echoing what plenty of others have said, but come on Mel... even if you don't want to pay him off, put him on gardening leave and let the Mac take charge of the last 3 games. Something needs to change because, at the minute, it looks like we're going down without even putting up a fight.

Exactly ?

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think the thing that hurts the most is that, if you really think about it, putting Wayne Rooney in the managerial hotseat was never really about results or performances. It was about selling this club.

I think Rooney was given the job because there was an idea/perception that it would make us more attractive to prospective buyers. That it would make us more "marketable" to investors. That it might just help Mel get shot of us. 

It never made sense to hire, in this season with how it started, a rookie manager. Let alone a manager who has literally just stepped off the pitch with no badges. And now we're paying the price for that. 

In my opinion, hiring Wayne Rooney looks like a decision that was made for the benefit of the bank account, and not the football.

We used him. Shafted the old guy. And have ended up screwing ourselves over. Rooney was appointed by people who weren't yet the owners. What an absolute mess. Rooney was a big mistake, but it is just another in a long line from our owner. 

In 7 years we have gone from a club everyone could admire to one everyone can laugh at/hate. Whilst the team has gradually got worse. One thing that stands out in this tenure is when it came to the crunch, we folded. When the pressure is on, we can't do it. Somehow that is a culture that seems to remain at the club despite numerous managers, tells me one thing.

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

We used him. Shafted the old guy. And have ended up screwing ourselves over. Rooney was appointed by people who weren't yet the owners. What an absolute mess. Rooney was a big mistake, but it is just another in a long line from our owner. 

In 7 years we have gone from a club everyone could admire to one everyone can laugh at/hate. Whilst the team has gradually got worse. One thing that stands out in this tenure is when it came to the crunch, we folded. When the pressure is on, we can't do it. Somehow that is a culture that seems to remain at the club despite numerous managers, tells me one thing.

That is true, we always poo out. I think it comes right from the top

Sad but i cant see us getting another point

Woke up, checked my phone expecting to see Rooney sacked. Soooo disappointed. 

I wouldn't mind if it was Gardening leave until next season. Just want mac in and hopefully a new manager bounce. We need something. 

We've lost to teams that have had 1 win in 9 games etc. Tells you everything. 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's the only option so I'm hopeful this is true.

It's another experiment that's not worked out but we can't stand looking at our hands in this situation,we need to press on and Dave the season by any means possible.

I’ve got it in my head Alex Neil will be our manager. No idea why.

I suppose he covers the remit of both L1 and Championship. Free agent too.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But would you pay off Wazza and his staff if you were in Mel’s shoes? Another couple of million on top of everything else? He probably realises it’s too late, the games up. I personally would put him on gardening leave in the short term and put Mac in charge but I am not convinced he will be able to turn things around now, address the rot and decline that has set in under Wazza. So painfully disappointing but not totally surprising. His appointment was a big gamble that has backfired big time.

I do whatever I could to ensure that this club accumulates enough points to stay in the division because I know for a fact that if we do go down, we ain't coming back up for a long time, I sincerely see us doing a Bolton.  If he's adamant that the takeover won't fall through this time, what's another couple of million to waste on paying off staff who're clearly not up to the job??  There's no guarantee in life, and certainly not in football, but I do think Schteve & Wassall would get more out of this squad in the last 3 games.  I know it's a lot more short term compared to Weds but they looked dead & buried when Big Dave took over...

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

I do whatever I could to ensure that this club accumulates enough points to stay in the division because I know for a fact that if we do go down, we ain't coming back up for a long time, I sincerely see us doing a Bolton.  If he's adamant that the takeover won't fall through this time, what's another couple of million to waste on paying off staff who're clearly not up to the job??  There's no guarantee in life, and certainly not in football, but I do think Schteve & Wassall would get more out of this squad in the last 3 games.  I know it's a lot more short term compared to Weds but they looked dead & buried when Big Dave took over...

Just can’t see it happening.