Rooney Out!

Birdyabroad

1 minute ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Indeed. I'm having more fun at the moment comparing the comments of people who thought at the time that WR was a tactical genius to their comments now saying that he knows nothing than I have all season.

As funny as it is, I would also say this:

It's OK to have thought something at one time and then change your mind.

I think sometimes we don't let people do that. We don't just let them change their mind, and that's unfair.

I think people should be allowed to change their opinion as things change, results change, etc etc. As they become more informed or see more of a certain style of management.

As funny as it is to look back at what we all did or didn't think back then, it's also important to accept that time moves on, things change, and so our minds change too!

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think sometimes we don't let people do that. We don't just let them change their mind, and that's unfair.

I think people should be allowed to change their opinion as things change, results change, etc etc. As they become more informed or see more of a certain style of management.

As funny as it is to look back at what we all did or didn't think back then, it's also important to accept that time moves on, things change, and so our minds change too!

Oh yeah, it's fine for people to change their minds, of course. I'm just having a bit of fun with it. 

It's mainly the fact that some were lauding him to the skies as being clearly excellent managerial material on the basis of a few games that I'm amused by. There are many more who were more tentative but thought on balance that he should get it, and I can understand that.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The level of stick and derision some posters have got on here in the past 18 months has been desperately disappointing.

You would think it would start to click for some people and people would show more respect and tolerance for a different view.

I’ve seen so many U-turns on here in the last 18 months. It’s been like a round of Mario Kart with the family.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The level of stick and derision some posters have got on here in the past 18 months has been desperately disappointing.

You would think it would start to click for some people and people would show more respect and tolerance for a different view.

I’ve seen so many U-turns on here in the last 18 months. It’s been like a round of Mario Kart with the family.

Oh, trust me, I’m well aware of that! Especially having relieved a decent brunt of it ?

But I would take U-Turns all day long if it meant getting on in the right direction eventually ??

Edited by Nuwtfly

Usually my predictions about things don't work out, despite having 2 degrees in politics and working on a third I've only ever really gotten Trump both times, brexit and 2019 GE right results wise. So, when I declared and kept on thinking Wazza was going to be a disaster I hoped my predictions of relegation and doom would turn out to be completely wrong as they do 90% of the time. But, people should have known he'd be a disaster the minute this man honestly believed his best position on the pitch for a long time was centre midfield... a position where he was nothing but ineffectual and more often than not a complete liability. 

Rooney should never have been in. Even as a player. It was another Mel publicity stunt.

Now I’m not saying things would definitely be different but for me the wrong man left. Rooney is the root cause of the problems. But that’s Mels making.

IF we stay up now it will be because of Rotherham’s fixture congestion and that Wednesday started on minus 6 points. Relying on other clubs is as embarrassing as going down.

5 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

There were a number of posters on here adamant that we had a good squad and that would be proved once we’d sacked Cocu.

Nice to visit the forum again and see those same posters saying it’s the worst squad we’ve ever had and they want Rooney out.

I was adamant that a new manager would get more out of this squad than Cocu.

Most people said that on the assumption that the new manager would be someone credible and experienced. Not Wayne Rooney.

It was the right decision to get rid of Cocu.

But as many of us have said, the wrong decision was not clearing the decks completely.

17 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

Rooney should never have been in. Even as a player. It was another Mel publicity stunt.

IF we stay up now it will be because of Rotherham’s fixture congestion and that Wednesday started on minus 6 points. Relying on other clubs is as embarrassing as going down.

These two points are absolutely spot on.

The rest about Cocu? Not convinced.

Just because Rooney has turned out to be a dud doesn’t mean we should have kept Cocu.

He had to go, but so did Rosenior, Rooney and Given too.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I was adamant that a new manager would get more out of this squad than Cocu.

Most people said that on the assumption that the new manager would be someone credible and experienced. Not Wayne Rooney.

It was the right decision to get rid of Cocu.

But as many of us have said, the wrong decision was not clearing the decks completely.

Agree. It might have been the right decision if the right appointment was made (Big Mick, Warnock).

But we all really knew that the moment Rooney came to Derby it was inevitable that he would oust Cocu so he could take charge.

So I stick by my thoughts from December. We got rid of the wrong man. We never really had a Derby with only Cocu coaching. So we’ll never know really if he was as bad as you think.

I hope it’s a case of never knowing how good Rooney COULD have been either. Has to go.

26 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

But we all really knew that the moment Rooney came to Derby it was inevitable that he would oust Cocu so he could take charge.

So I stick by my thoughts from December. We got rid of the wrong man. We never really had a Derby with only Cocu coaching. So we’ll never know really if he was as bad as you think.

I hope it’s a case of never knowing how good Rooney COULD have been either. Has to go.

You make some interesting points.

I think we can both agree that Rooney joining the club in any capacity was a mistake and a publicity stunt only ever likely to blow up in our faces and work against us.

Where I really disagree is this idea that we got rid of the wrong man or that Cocu didn’t get a fair crack.

By the end of Cocu’s tenure, our form was something approaching 2 wins in 17 league games.

We were absolutely right to get rid. You’ll notice there were no complaints from Cocu and you’ll notice he hasn’t found work since - something he would have done fairly quickly if there were question marks over his dismissal.

Could Cocu have done a better job without the sideshow and unshakeable presence of Rooney? Possibly. But we’ll never know.

Cocu had to go, and so does Rooney. It doesn’t have to be a case of Cocu v Rooney. It’s better just to accept neither have been good enough.

Edited by Jourdan

1 hour ago, BBG83 said:

There were a number of posters on here adamant that we had a good squad and that would be proved once we’d sacked Cocu.

Nice to visit the forum again and see those same posters saying it’s the worst squad we’ve ever had and they want Rooney out.

Hindsight is always 20:20.

A pity this is 2021.

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Could Cocu have done a better job without the sideshow and unshakeable presence of Rooney? Possibly. But we’ll never know

This is my point. So not a 100%, Cocu was great, but giving Rooney a coaching role would have been difficult to work with and I just find it unfair to judge Cocu because of that.

If he’d had a season with just him and his staff and we were as bad then fair enough.

2 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

This is my point. So not a 100%, Cocu was great, but giving Rooney a coaching role would have been difficult to work with and I just find it unfair to judge Cocu because of that.

If he’d had a season with just him and his staff and we were as bad then fair enough.

Cocu could have said no...