Rooney Out!

Birdyabroad

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Except Cocu seemed intent on playing Beilik too deep 

You mean last season? I think personally that Joinersgate completely derailed plan A, which I assumed was to have keogh and Clarke as the 2 cbs with Bielik shielding as the single cdm.

We struggled for a while to identify a sound pairing and did flip Bielik in and out of the back 4, with no apparent success. 

Rooney, it is true, used him far more consistently as the cdm pivot.

21 hours ago, Jourdan said:

No, I am suggesting the January signings were poor and are not good enough if we have aspirations of promotion moving forward.

I am not undervaluing anything Rooney has done. People said the same to me when I suggested Cocu was not the right man to take us forward if we wanted promotion, and the evidence of that soon became impossible to ignore.

Rooney has had a very good spell and he has had a very poor spell, and when you balance the two, he may have done just enough to keep us up, but don’t we want more than that?

I am not sure how anyone can say with confidence Rooney is the man to take us forward. We were four wins from safety at the end of February. We are now one or two bad results from being back in the bottom three. 

Rooney’s poor spell is in danger of invalidating all of the good work he did in the earlier part of his tenure.

Every manager can suffer a poor spell from time to time, but the call for experience is because an experienced manager is likely to have the tools to find his way out of a bad spell and get the club moving forward again.

Can we say that with any certainty about Rooney?

I would guess that the January loan signings are the result of not knowing what the hell was going on with the club finances until the day before the window closed.  Considering how much of a clusterfunk that whole month was with the will they, won't they situation with the takeover I was amazed we even got one player through the door, let alone 5.  Admittedly I think we all expected a bit more from them, particularly Roberts, but that's what happens when your scratting around at the last minute.  It's like those folk who go at the end of the Next sales and find that the only size jeans they have left are a 30 waste, but they buy them any way and vouch to lose some weight so they fit in them by summer.  Never seems to work out that way.  (Yes that's an all too personal analogy, but you get the point)

All managers have bad spells, and having experience is no guarantee of being able to pull a team out of them, just look at Chris Wilder, Slaven Bilic, Aitor Kranka or Alex Neil.  All well respected, experienced managers, all unable to pull their respective teams out of slumps.

I for one, am still undecided on Rooney, but I think he deserves a shot at it taking us forward.  A lot of novice managers would've sunk a lot quicker in his situation & with this squad of players, so that has to count for something.

Edited by ramsbottom

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Tomorrow I honestly would consider saying thanks but we need an experienced head.. and give it Schteve til the end of the season. Regardless of the league we are in I'm really doubtful Wayne is the man to take us up the table. 

agree, if anything just to get a "new manager lift". We'll lose a lot more money if we go down than it would take to sack Rooney.

The players showed in the first 60mins against Blackburn they have too much quality to be relegated.

He has to take the blame for tonight, we have bottom half championship players zonal marking is so far above them it’s frightening he can’t see it. And then he changes the system when we were looking dangerous how we were set up and it completely ruined our shape and attacking play.