Sibley will likely be sold to fund replacements required elsewhere and by fund I mean free agents wages and potentially small fees from lower league clubs, who equally will need to recoup some money, plus some loan players. I expect us to get 4-5 loan players in the summer for the year to cover the requirements from the squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jozwiak sold either, potentially his notoriety with the Poland team will mean we can get our money back. 

If we aren't relegated this season then I'm fairly sure we will give it a good go again next season. 

15 hours ago, Rample said:

Next season

Loans expired: Mengi, Edmondson, Clarke, Baningime, Gregory, Roberts

Loans returning: Marriott, JHI, Jozefzoon, Carson

Potential outs due to contracts/money/general naffness: Wisdom, Waghorn, Davies, Jozefzoon

Carson, Mitchell, Ravas, Malone and Trialist all set to leave due to contracts expiring.

First thought - Marriott and JHI might have been pretty useful these past few months

Where are folk getting that Stretton is suddenly ready to be our third choice striker? Nothing against the lad but would like to see him get a loan a bit higher up the pyramid and get a few goals before we have to rely on him one day. Also CKR is a very specific type of striker and I'd like him as one of at least 3, that are all above JHH/Stretton etc

The fact he knows how to ball into that net thingy. Given our financial position, our 3rd choice CF will have to be on small wages.

10 out and you can see Roo wanting ideally to replace each one (apart from Zoon and Carson).

I can see anywhere upto 3 or 4 loanees returning, a couple maybe permanently, but that means 5 or 6 more loans/freebies to come in and somehow boost the team.

15 from the 'first team' actually. Doubtful we'll get anywhere near 10.

Hope Rooney does have contacts out there or are we to expect aging journeymen from the likes of Burnley, WBA and Fulham, or maybe the next Duane Holmes or Marriott from a division down? Or a Bob Malcolm/Connor Sammon from north of the border.

That's the sort of market we'll be shopping in. Get used to it.

Selling Marshall makes no sense as it leaves us needing to replace him on the cheap aswell. Either that or trust Roos and get another Hamer to benchwarm. 

Roos is the better keeper. Better to put those £10k pw wages towards a CF? Idem/Foster are capable enough of keeping the bench warm. No need to pay someone else to do it instead.

The only situation we are able to get a team capable of challenging for promotion is selling 2 of our more valuable talents, none of whom will command the fees we expect. Ideally for me Bird (nothing that can't be replaced), and Jozwiak (largely ineffective) who maybe has held or increased value due to his international performances and could end up somewhere like Germany, for a generous £10m combined. 4 players in at an average of £2.5m each supplemented by 5 (a couple of which must be quality) loans.

Anyone with a monetary value above £2m (apart from Knight, Sibley and Buchanan who we should hold out for silly money for) must be sold if sensible offers are received, in order to just reshuffle the pack. Pick a formation, either from scratch or to specifically maximise the few talents we have and recruit the players to fit it. None of this different XI and different formation every game rubbish.

That's not the only situation, is it? 6 decent players on loans and frees would completely transform this team. Under Rooney, this is how we've performed:

Overall = 10th
With Bielik = 4th
Without Bielik = 16th

Just 1 top quality player transformed us from a lower mid table side to a top 6 side knocking on the doors of the automatics. Claiming we have to sell off half the squad to fund a playoff puff is absolute rubbish.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Sibley will likely be sold to fund replacements required elsewhere and by fund I mean free agents wages and potentially small fees from lower league clubs, who equally will need to recoup some money, plus some loan players. I expect us to get 4-5 loan players in the summer for the year to cover the requirements from the squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jozwiak sold either, potentially his notoriety with the Poland team will mean we can get our money back. 

If we aren't relegated this season then I'm fairly sure we will give it a good go again next season. 

Why would we need to sell Sibley to fund a £10m wage bill?

If we're to build a squad with top Championship starters, solid backups, with U23s in reserve, we're currently set with the following (assuming Mengi is guaranteed for next season as has been hinted):

image.png.630e19e406915434f536b46c77cc4820.png

That means we need to also recruit:
- 2 extra CBs (a 4th CB isn't required unless we  recruit player made of glass)
- 1 DM to cover Bielik
- 1 winger/AM depending on where Rooney plans to use Sibley
- 1 standout CF

Weakest backups are clearly the RB and AM positions.
However, Byrne is one of those players who is rarely unavailable, so RB isn't much of a concern - McDonald should be ready to step up for a couple of games throughout the season.
Also, Watson would be 6th choice midfielder (7th when Bielik is fit), so again not of much concern. Like McDonald, he should be capable of stepping in for a couple of games.

6 signings (Mengi one of them) and I have no doubt we could get all of them for free or on loan.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just 1 top quality player transformed us from a lower mid table side to a top 6 side knocking on the doors of the automatics. Claiming we have to sell off half the squad to fund a playoff puff is absolute rubbish.

This.

I reckon there should be deals to be done with loan players at least.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can’t help but look at that and think what a mess we are in.

no centre backs. No strikers of any note. Dysfunctional wingers. 
we would also have to sell to buy. 
It’s a really tough task for any manager.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Can’t help but look at that and think what a mess we are in.

no centre backs. No strikers of any note. Dysfunctional wingers. 
we would also have to sell to buy. 
It’s a really tough task for any manager.

Sell to buy frees and loans?

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we're to build a squad with top Championship starters, solid backups, with U23s in reserve, we're currently set with the following (assuming Mengi is guaranteed for next season as has been hinted):

That means we need to also recruit:
- 2 extra CBs (a 4th CB isn't required unless we  recruit player made of glass)
- 1 DM to cover Bielik
- 1 winger/AM depending on where Rooney plans to use Sibley
- 1 standout CF

Weakest backups are clearly the RB and AM positions.
However, Byrne is one of those players who is rarely unavailable, so RB isn't much of a concern - McDonald should be ready to step up for a couple of games throughout the season.
Also, Watson would be 6th choice midfielder (7th when Bielik is fit), so again not of much concern. Like McDonald, he should be capable of stepping in for a couple of games.

6 signings (Mengi one of them) and I have no doubt we could get all of them for free or on loan.

Very much doubt Foster, Dixon, Hutchinson, Wilson and Shonibare are anywhere near Rooney's thoughts in terms of genuine options, even as back up. 

3 first team centre halves doesn't allow him to infuriatingly switch to a back 3 every few games if the wind is blowing in a certain direction - I know we have kids and Buchanan and Forsyth can be utilised there, but I can see him wanting 4 orthodox senior centre halves.

If he's looking at 3 up top then I'd say another winger/forward is also a must. with Jozwiak's form, Tom's injury record of late and Ibe's issues, I think he'd want 4 there too.

Given no-one here wanted Stretton to start up front on his own this week I still don't see him as a viable third choice, ideally need another target man and a Marriott replacement, regardless of if we're looking at 2 or 3 up top.

Rooney seems the kind of guy that wants the option to make 6 or 7 changes to his line up, and that requires a meatier squad, possibly at the expense of fewer but better players.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

We needed cover that was better than we already have. Gregory is more than cover. What else do you expect in January to us?!

I’ll give you Gregory Roy, that wasn’t a bad signing. I’m saying it’s not good business and I didn’t expect anyone in Jan to come to us hence the dross we got. Rather of not bothered and saved our money. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sell to buy frees and loans?

I’ll be surprised if we can find all the players we need on frees 

loans are the sign of a sickly club.

I’d like us to give minutes to a few more fringe players - shonibare, Mitchell-Lawson, Wilson. Even bateman. In preparation for next season. 
We seem to have developed a pool of young players that we now don’t believe are good enough to even try out.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Very much doubt Foster, Dixon, Hutchinson, Wilson and Shonibare are anywhere near Rooney's thoughts in terms of genuine options, even as back up. 

Reserves, not backups. 3rd choice options in each position (other than CF) wouldn't be expected to get much game time. You'd be looking at a couple of games off the bench throughout the season. That's why U23s should be 3rd choice, rather than giving £20k to the likes of Pearce to sit at home when he was here.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

3 first team centre halves doesn't allow him to infuriatingly switch to a back 3 every few games if the wind is blowing in a certain direction - I know we have kids and Buchanan and Forsyth can be utilised there, but I can see him wanting 4 orthodox senior centre halves.

That's assuming 5 at the back would be a frequent thing. I can only see it being a rare occurrence so no harm in getting just 3 CBs in

1 hour ago, Rample said:

If he's looking at 3 up top then I'd say another winger/forward is also a must. with Jozwiak's form, Tom's injury record of late and Ibe's issues, I think he'd want 4 there too.

Yes, that's what I put. Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe and BLANK.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Given no-one here wanted Stretton to start up front on his own this week I still don't see him as a viable third choice, ideally need another target man and a Marriott replacement, regardless of if we're looking at 2 or 3 up top.

Because Kazim is better overall at the moment?

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Rooney seems the kind of guy that wants the option to make 6 or 7 changes to his line up, and that requires a meatier squad, possibly at the expense of fewer but better players.

Is that down to a condensed fixture list and needing to rest players now and then? Should n't be as much of an issue next season.
We only made 1 or 2 changes each game when Bielik was available. With him adding more balance to the team, that'll be a factor too. We have a summer to address that imbalance.

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’ll be surprised if we can find all the players we need on frees 

loans are the sign of a sickly club.

I’d like us to give minutes to a few more fringe players - shonibare, Mitchell-Lawson, Wilson. Even bateman. In preparation for next season. 
We seem to have developed a pool of young players that we now don’t believe are good enough to even try out.

Every Championship club has at least 1 player in on loan. Swansea for example have loaned in 8 different players this season.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I’ll give you Gregory Roy, that wasn’t a bad signing. I’m saying it’s not good business and I didn’t expect anyone in Jan to come to us hence the dross we got. Rather of not bothered and saved our money. 

But if Rooney had got no cover in at all... just using it to show that players can be got and will come. I know we've not seen much of the 5 but the little we have seems okay, plus I imagine they'll be cheap.

Anyway takeover complete so who knows what we'll have to spend next season.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Every Championship club has at least 1 player in on loan. Swansea for example have loaned in 8 different players this season.

True. But loans aren’t the answer. we need to rebuild.