Our crown jewels

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How good are Bird and Knight ever going to be, realistically? Neither is progressing very much (if at all), neither really influences games. They are both already 20 - still young, but not that young. I'm worried Sibley might be closer to his ceiling than seemed likely when he first burst through, too. It's frustrating to think that such a promising crop might be destined to become, at best, a bunch of steady Championship pros. Will be interesting to see how Delap turns out. Maybe scouting by the top clubs is so good now that the top teenagers always get scooped up early and the ones who remain aren't destined for the top, however much we hope they are

16 minutes ago, vonwright said:

How good are Bird and Knight ever going to be, realistically? Neither is progressing very much (if at all), neither really influences games. They are both already 20 - still young, but not that young. I'm worried Sibley might be closer to his ceiling than seemed likely when he first burst through, too. It's frustrating to think that such a promising crop might be destined to become, at best, a bunch of steady Championship pros. Will be interesting to see how Delap turns out. Maybe scouting by the top clubs is so good now that the top teenagers always get scooped up early and the ones who remain aren't destined for the top, however much we hope they are

Bird likely to get quite a lot better but not sure whether Knight will develop 

16 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Knight: 20 years old and full international so I'm excpecting a good offer for him this summer. And we will accept that, no doubt.  

Bird: I'd sell. I like him, he's a good player but I'd like to see the midfield trio of one defensive, one attacking runner and one Will Hughes. He doesn't have the legs to be a runner, physicality to be the defensive alone nor the skills to be the one knitting everything together higher up the pitch (eventhough that's the role which would be closest to his strenghts). I assume Wilson will soon be better option for that role. If we'll play with two defensive midfielders then we must keep him, he'll shine in such role.

Buchanan: Try to sell actively. We need money and we could get some out of him. We seem to produce good fullbacks so he can make room for the next one to be promoted. Also, I don't think there is huge difference in quality between him and Forsyth.

Sibley: Just build a team around him.

All 4 are over-rated by fans, Sibley most of all.

You build a team around  a player of technical skill and intelligence like George Thorne, who can help get the best from team mates. Sibley doesn't come close, his skill set is too limited

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Maybe it's just that we're a poor team this season but I don't think any of them are as good as we thought they might be. I don't see any of them influencing or having any meaningful impact on games. 

They are better players than they seem now, in a struggling side, and are not coping with the pressure and responsibility placed on them. If we avoid relegation and are joined with some better quality seniors they could achieve much more than seen to date.

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

You build a team around  a player of technical skill and intelligence like George Thorne, who can help get the best from team mates. Sibley doesn't come close, his skill set is too limited.

Vydra is hardly intelligent player who definitely won't make others better but that worked out pretty well and Sibley has about as "limited" skillset as Vydra.

Goalscoring or chance creating are the a skills team should be build around, a great defensive midfielder surely would help like we saw with Bielik but that's not the point of the game. Winning is and for that you need to score goals, simply as that really.

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes I think family silver might be a better description for all but Beilik 

Exactly the distinction I was going to make!

We hve no crown jewels in our cabinet.

We can look back to a golden age, still in living memory for we septagenarians, but sadly plundered and devoid of any jewels which fade not nor get plundered.

As with most dynasties we are left with family silver which requires constant care or it becomes dull and tarnished.

To most others the value of our family silver lies, not in its usefulness, but in its scrap content of .925 precious metal.

The saddest aspect to this analogy is that even a precious jewel (like Bielik) is less of an asset whilst having to rest in a safe deposit box to prevent theft.

5 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Judging by most of this season,  our crown jewels aren't going to fetch much. Ergo what money they do generate is hardly going to let us buy any sort of quality.  If you think differently then you are deluded 

Norwich sold James Maddison for 20 million. That's the sort of money we need to significantly improve the playing squad.

12 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

You build a team around  a player of technical skill and intelligence like George Thorne, who can help get the best from team mates. Sibley doesn't come close, his skill set is too limited

Don't think they are over rated. Showed some great performances last year despite young ages. Knight is in the Ireland first team, Sibley is creative and hard working. Remember their ages. Sibley is 19!! At the moment, we lack experience and depth, we are asking a lot of these players. A bit more quality around them and they would produce more consistently.

Archived