Our crown jewels

Jimbo Ram

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just been thinking ahead to next season, hopefully we will remain in the Championship. With the uncertainty about the takeover and with the repercussions of Covid, it is likely that money is going to be tight. However, I think Wazza will want some funds to shape the side that he wants and bring in some fresh blood. To do this it is likely that one of our young crown jewels, Knight, Bird, Sibley or Buchanan would need to be sold. If that is the case, out of the 4, in your opinion, who has a definite not for sale notice stuck to their forehead and which one of the four would you let go...and for how much? Personally I would look to sell Knight for maybe 7-8 million and definitely keep Sibley......

Entirely agree with @norwichram, the one big sale I'd consider would be Jozwiak. Firstly, his value will increase with continued exposure as Lewandowski's wing man. Secondly, I suspect he probably sees second tier English football as beneath him & certainly Legia fans were surprised to see him move here. A successful summer could see him agitate to cash in with a big move to a top flight club & I wouldn't blame him one bit. Would also disagree that clubs would need a strong track record at Derby first before buying him. They will be aware we've struggled this year & that would be a big mitigating factor (particularly when they look into how few attacking players we generally field game by game)

Jozwiak aside, the other potential sale I'd consider would be Knight. Love his enthusiasm & energy but the reality is he's really only a decent box to box midfielder & probably quite replaceable. 

I would not want to sell Sibley or Bird at any price short of obscene money. Buchanan I would also really want to keep.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The one I personally would least like to go would be Sibley.

So Sibley will be going.

Not sure if Sibbo has been cutting it in training though so I think the sensible option, when we have so much creativity in the side, is to bench him and give him the odd 10 minute cameo, you know it makes sense Rodney...

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Entirely agree with @norwichram, the one big sale I'd consider would be Jozwiak. Firstly, his value will increase with continued exposure as Lewandowski's wing man. Secondly, I suspect he probably sees second tier English football as beneath him & certainly Legia fans were surprised to see him move here. A successful summer could see him agitate to cash in with a big move to a top flight club & I wouldn't blame him one bit. Would also disagree that clubs would need a strong track record at Derby first before buying him. They will be aware we've struggled this year & that would be a big mitigating factor (particularly when they look into how few attacking players we generally field game by game)

Jozwiak aside, the other potential sale I'd consider would be Knight. Love his enthusiasm & energy but the reality is he's really only a decent box to box midfielder & probably quite replaceable. 

I would not want to sell Sibley or Bird at any price short of obscene money. Buchanan I would also really want to keep.

Joswiak can’t get a regular game for us, just can’t see a prem team being interested or prepared to offer big money for him as things stand...

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Joswiak can’t get a regular game for us, just can’t see a prem team being interested or prepared to offer big money for him as things stand...

Fair point about his starts but clubs will also look at his potential to improve.

Young, technically strong, defensively disciplined, regular impact starter for decent national side. Look at someone like Hendrick for example...was never first name on the teamsheet here, was sporadically good but after a good Euros for Ireland, went to Burnley for 11m.

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair point about his starts but clubs will also look at his potential to improve.

Young, technically strong, defensively disciplined, regular impact starter for decent national side. Look at someone like Hendrick for example...was never first name on the teamsheet here, was sporadically good but after a good Euros for Ireland, went to Burnley for 11m.

Think Joswiak is a bit behind where Hendrick was when he left us for Burnley...

25 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Lots of comments on multiple threads point to Sibley finding it difficult to perform this season as he had a lack of support up front (due to rooneys defensive approach). Joz has had that all season. Poland are no mugs and he plays a lot better for them than he does for us. 

The point remains that if he and Poland have a good tournament he could well be a target. the Bundesliga maybe? He will also be cheaper than a lot of the alternatives. His wages will not be anywhere near those of a lot of the players at the tournament. 

Chilwell is a top 6 PL team defender and Joz had the beating of him in an under strength Polish team. 

Like Joz and would like him to stay but he could potentially fetch a good fee and it means we keep our Crown Jewels as the OP calls them, for another season. 

46 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Easier to play well against a weaker team

Think this season we've proved that isn't always the case - struggling more against teams in the bottom half of the table I.e. statistically the weaker ones.

Thinking back we did great to get money for Bogle and Lowe and Whitaker 

Right time to sell for sure .

Going forward I’d keep all four of Knight , Sibley ,Buchanan and Bird but without a takeover we might have no choice if decent offers are made. 

I like Lee Buchanan simply because he is the most mature of all of them in terms of understanding the game and his duties. Speaks of a very wise head for a young guy. 

given the dosh situation I agree that the possibility of big money will probably only come from Joz which would be a shame. With Bielik back and some improvement in the striker department we could flourish with him.

whatever happens it is going to be a strange season next year. Everyone will be flat broke .. perhaps this will reset some of the stupid wages and fees to levels that are more realistic for the finances of all these business

12 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Lots of comments on multiple threads point to Sibley finding it difficult to perform this season as he had a lack of support up front (due to rooneys defensive approach). Joz has had that all season. Poland are no mugs and he plays a lot better for them than he does for us. 

The point remains that if he and Poland have a good tournament he could well be a target. the Bundesliga maybe? He will also be cheaper than a lot of the alternatives. His wages will not be anywhere near those of a lot of the players at the tournament. 

Chilwell is a top 6 PL team defender and Joz had the beating of him in an under strength Polish team. 

Like Joz and would like him to stay but he could potentially fetch a good fee and it means we keep our Crown Jewels as the OP calls them, for another season. 

Spot on. He will be cheap by top division standards & know he was being tracked by Southampton & Werder Bremen (so backing up your Bundesliga point) before we bought him. Prem clubs will also be more interested given he's had a year to integrate into English footballing culture/language.

His exposure with Poland will bring him into contact with players & agents who will be telling him he's capable of playing his club football at a better level and a successful summer will underline that. I dont think 10-15 million is at all unrealistic if he plays well. Either way, he won't want to be sticking around the Championship.

Also agree he's been hampered by our team setups (like Sibley). In an attacking, confident side he'd look fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Be very surprised if Joswiak would command a fee .

Take yesterday as one example when through on goal instead of shooting he passed to Knight .

Typical of his play this season .

PS If an offer of a break even fee came in I’d let him go. 

I hope he might come good next season, needed time to settle in...

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I hope he might come good next season, needed time to settle in...

I also hope that as he definitely has talent .

He must be on big wages and I would of thought in our current plight is more expendable than most .

He is Bieliks mate so that might have a say in the matter.

7 hours ago, norwichram said:

I’ve been thinking similar but after Jozwiak’s recent international performances he could catch the eye at the Euros. A West Ham/Villa/Everton? Might fancy him if he does well. Everton and West Ham will probably be in Europe so may need a bigger squad. 

Yep. Jozwiak will be in the shop window at the Euros. If he performs well against top quality defenders in the tournament, he will be at his peak sale value. We'd be crazy not to sell at that point.

Buy expensive sell em cheap use to be our motto (when we were rolling in dosh.

Now it bargain basement and freebies all the way (if possible).

Any spare cash we may have had has been lost through the effects of Covid  on football as whole. 

The days of 'big' fees being spent (except in Premiership & ex parachute money teams) are gone for the time being,

This probably where we may just have an edge in recruitment of good young talent through our excellent academy.

Even they don't make the grade with us we can still make money selling them on or if their good enough.

Try to hang to the better ones for as long as possible and then try and get the highest fee possible with sell on clauses. 

We need to start treating football as BUSINESS with a profit and loss account.

This the only way the club can be self sustainable and free from potential 'shady sheikh', 'dodgy dollars' and club hopping Spaniards.

Just now, Rab a dab doo said:

This the only way the club can be self sustainable and free from potential 'shady sheikh', 'dodgy dollars' and club hopping Spaniards.

Surely showing a healthy profit is more likely to entice in the 'carpet baggers'?!

Archived