Our crown jewels

Jimbo Ram

Just been thinking ahead to next season, hopefully we will remain in the Championship. With the uncertainty about the takeover and with the repercussions of Covid, it is likely that money is going to be tight. However, I think Wazza will want some funds to shape the side that he wants and bring in some fresh blood. To do this it is likely that one of our young crown jewels, Knight, Bird, Sibley or Buchanan would need to be sold. If that is the case, out of the 4, in your opinion, who has a definite not for sale notice stuck to their forehead and which one of the four would you let go...and for how much? Personally I would look to sell Knight for maybe 7-8 million and definitely keep Sibley......

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been thinking similar but after Jozwiak’s recent international performances he could catch the eye at the Euros. A West Ham/Villa/Everton? Might fancy him if he does well. Everton and West Ham will probably be in Europe so may need a bigger squad. 

1 minute ago, norwichram said:

Sorry meant to add that depending on both his performances and how well Poland do in the competition Joz could fetch £10-15 million ...? 

Don't you think he needs to prove himself in the Championship first before a top 6 prem team come sniffing around?

41 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don't you think he needs to prove himself in the Championship first before a top 6 prem team come sniffing around?

Say he plays decent for Poland at the Euros, I suspect a bottom PL club (maybe) or a more moneyd championship club (maybe) might take a punt on him, if, the think they can get him at a knock down price. We might well see him leave, but probably in the £4-5m price range.

In terms of the academy lads, Knight is the most useful player right now, but also the one we could probably cope most with losing - hard work and basic profcancy at championship level are good things to be, especially at his age, but there are other players who have that.

I'd want to keep Bird and Bucannan - fozzy is good, but old and we would have to replace. Bird has had a poor season but has some vision and passing in him.

Sibley, i think we will sell - I'd be a bit gutted but I can see it being the best business decision.

Ideally though, we can keep all of them and bring in a few senior pros as free agents/cheap signings to give enough support to the home grown players. We're losing some big earers off the wage bill at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, norwichram said:

I’ve been thinking similar but after Jozwiak’s recent international performances he could catch the eye at the Euros. A West Ham/Villa/Everton? Might fancy him if he does well. Everton and West Ham will probably be in Europe so may need a bigger squad. 

Big difference between playing against Albania or England.

I can't see the transfer window seeing much activity outside the Premier League and the relegated 3, over a year of no revenue, where is the money coming from to buy these players?

Next season will be about utilising the loan market better, we could do with a Tomori, Mount and Wilson type summer and with Rooney's connections, you have to believe that could be possible with the best talent at United/Everton.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Potentially. I’m not staying it will or should happen. Just that alongside the homegrown players he could also be a potential sale to fund team investment. 

Depends on whether a club sees him as a solution. It’s normal practice for players that perform well in international tournaments to be the subject of transfer interest from PL/Bundesliga/serie A clubs etc 

Whilst Joz hasn’t lit up the championship this season he has had a year in England now which may be helpful in their decision making.

Whilst not homegrown he is still very young, 22. If he had come through the academy and was going to the euros how would we value him then? 

I only suggested West Ham etc as they will need to spend to bolster their squads but will not want to break the bank. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I can't see the transfer window seeing much activity outside the Premier League and the relegated 3, over a year of no revenue, where is the money coming from to buy these players?

Next season will be about utilising the loan market better, we could do with a Tomori, Mount and Wilson type summer and with Rooney's connections, you have to believe that could be possible with the best talent at United/Everton.

Have to agree.   We may spend a couple of million but likely season long loans, especially until Jan 22 if things get back to "normal", we do well and revenue increases. That said if we get offered £several million for any of our players I would be surprised not to see them go. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just been thinking ahead to next season, hopefully we will remain in the Championship. With the uncertainty about the takeover and with the repercussions of Covid, it is likely that money is going to be tight. However, I think Wazza will want some funds to shape the side that he wants and bring in some fresh blood. To do this it is likely that one of our young crown jewels, Knight, Bird, Sibley or Buchanan would need to be sold. If that is the case, out of the 4, in your opinion, who has a definite not for sale notice stuck to their forehead and which one of the four would you let go...and for how much? Personally I would look to sell Knight for maybe 7-8 million and definitely keep Sibley......

Ideally of course you would keep all four but if you were forced to sell one then i agree it’s probably Knight. I think the others have more potential. In terms of value right now Buchanan would probably command the largest fee followed by Knight. Sibley and Bird have dropped a bit in value compared to last season.

Unless you have parachute payments I think money will be tight for all clubs next season.

4 hours ago, norwichram said:

Sorry meant to add that depending on both his performances and how well Poland do in the competition Joz could fetch £10-15 million ...? 

I think he could fetch that amount.

If he enters as an independent nation and wins it on his own that is.

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would prefer it if we sold Lawrence as he will be out of contract the following summer while we can and jozwiak if we can get a profit on him especially if he has a good euros

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I would prefer it if we sold Lawrence as he will be out of contract the following summer while we can and jozwiak if we can get a profit on him especially if he has a good euros

Not sure we would get enough for Lawrence to bring in 2 or 3, I would prefer to keep him anyway. Can’t afford to lose any creativity out of this squad....

Buchanan and Knight are the most likely to attract attention give their number of appearances, performances (although both have struggled in recent weeks) and international exposure.

Sibley is the wildcard, arguably has the most potential, but also big risk and hasn’t been handed the chance to play much this season. 

Bird will be under the radar. He has the talent, but our tactics have made his inclusion pointless, so unless a team takes a bit of a punt on him then I think he’s the least likely to leave.

Interesting that Joz is mentioned......he does well on the international stage and if he has a good Euros then that could attract attention!

Archived