v Luton (h) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, enachops said:

Absolutely huge game! Get a win and it sets them up nicely for the run in, a loss and I fear the worst. Got to go attacking, play your ball players, attacking intent, high intensity from the off. I hope Rooney gets this one right. 

10 defenders and a goalkeeper it us then. 

Am I right in thinking Rooney said no Marshall or Jozwiak due to them playing on Weds? If so, Rooney will likely go with this:

Roos
Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan
Knight   Shinnie
Roberts   Sibley   Lawrence
Kazim

Subs: Idem, Mengi, Edmundson, Forsyth, Bird, Watson Waghorn, Wilson, Gregory

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Am I right in thinking Rooney said no Marshall or Jozwiak due to them playing on Weds? If so, Rooney will likely go with this:

Roos
Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan
Knight   Shinnie
Roberts   Sibley   Lawrence
Kazim

Subs: Idem, Mengi, Edmundson, Forsyth, Bird, Watson Waghorn, Wilson, Gregory

Marshall didn’t play and it’s probably less of an issue for goal keepers anyway. However, I think Roos will keep his place.

image.png.3c1a9892a6df2adc632ac5c7d1654eec.png

GK - Tough call, Marshall was my clear no.1 a few weeks ago, but Roos has definitely upped his game recently. I'm happy to go with either to be honest.

LB - Forsyth over Buchanan for me. Much better crossing and always very calm on the ball. Buchanan is absolutely the future for us but until we're safe this season i would play Forsyth.

CB - Just a question of who to put with Clarke. Wisdom has been making some mistakes recently, and i'm not sure about Mengi in a back 4 yet. So in a way it kind of falls to Edmundson.

RB - No words needed, it's Byrne.

CM - Shinnie has to play for me. I would make him captain aswell, looks to be a real leader on and off the pitch. Does the side of the game many don't want to. How many years have Derby been crying out for a player like that, probably sine the Thorne days. It's a difficult shout who else to put in CM but i've gone with Watson mainly because of his passing ability. He is probably the only midfielder we have (apart from Bielik) who can pass between the lines and link the midfield with the attack. As long as there is movement ahead of him, he will make the pass.

CAM - Lawrence's best position for me. Need to keep him involved as much as possible and sometimes games can drift by him when he is out on the left.

LW - Jozwiak clearly was not out of place against an England team full of premier league players. If the team actually plays attacking football he has shown how dangerous he can be. Think he is possibly better on the right but had to get Roberts in the team also.

RW - Roberts looks to be getting better with every game for us. Very creative player which is exactly what we need. 

ST - I think Rooney will play Waghorn after his comments this week. Said he was the best player in training all week and has reacted superbly to being dropped last game apparently. CKR is great at what he does, but he has never really offered much movement which is perhaps what we're missing up front. Someone who can run in behind and also force their defenders to play a little deeper could help get our team further up the pitch. Out of all our striking options, Waghorn does offer the best movement when he's playing well, the question is just will he play well enough as hasn't really done that much this year. Another option would be to put Gregory up front and then maybe Waghorn on the RW. 

Think this s 1 of 3 must win matches in the last 8 along with the obvious Wednesday and Brum games, lose today and we are staring into league 1!

my team 

Marshall 

Byrne

Wisdom

Clarke 

Buchanan 

Shinnie

Knight 

Lawrence 

Siley 

CKR

This is a must win game today- a draw simply will not do. We need to focus on our own game, play with intensity and directness (neither gregory of ckr are natural goalscorers they can hold it up very well though) and ensure we get sibley and roberts playing to their strengths i.e., carrying the ball, winning freekicks, and making space for other players. If we do that we should have enough to beat an average luton town with nothing to play for. 

12 minutes ago, Topram said:

Think this s 1 of 3 must win matches in the last 8 along with the obvious Wednesday and Brum games, lose today and we are staring into league 1!

my team 

Marshall 

Byrne

Wisdom

Clarke 

Buchanan 

Shinnie

Knight 

Lawrence 

Siley 

CKR

Confident enough to rest one of the starting 11 

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

This is a must win game today- a draw simply will not do. We need to focus on our own game, play with intensity and directness (neither gregory of ckr are natural goalscorers they can hold it up very well though) and ensure we get sibley and roberts playing to their strengths i.e., carrying the ball, winning freekicks, and making space for other players. If we do that we should have enough to beat an average luton town with nothing to play for. 

I don't think it is a must win. A win will certainly make the rest of the season more comfortable, but I reckon we only need 7 points to stay up. The only must win will be Birmingham unless things are really tight and we need a result against Wednesday.

My concern is that the coaches have had two weeks to over-complicate things. If this does turn out to be a dog's breakfast of a performance it could destroy the team mentally. Then we really will be in trouble.

So to me, the result is less important than the performance today. We can afford to lose, but we can't afford to capitulate tamely.

48 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

CB - Just a question of who to put with Clarke. Wisdom has been making some mistakes recently, and i'm not sure about Mengi in a back 4 yet. So in a way it kind of falls to Edmundson.

Edmundson is probably a better CB overall than Wisdom but Clarke & Wisdom have experience playing alongside each other, We don't have time for a Clarke+Edmundson defence to gel.

48 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

It's a difficult shout who else to put in CM but i've gone with Watson mainly because of his passing ability. He is probably the only midfielder we have (apart from Bielik) who can pass between the lines and link the midfield with the attack. As long as there is movement ahead of him, he will make the pass.

I understand Watson's potential, but can you really trust him in the situation we're in? He's only just made his professional debut and has looked somewhat decent for about the equivalent of 30 minutes in recent games. He was also completely useless against Brentford.

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I don't think it is a must win. A win will certainly make the rest of the season more comfortable, but I reckon we only need 7 points to stay up. The only must win will be Birmingham unless things are really tight and we need a result against Wednesday.

My concern is that the coaches have had two weeks to over-complicate things. If this does turn out to be a dog's breakfast of a performance it could destroy the team mentally. Then we really will be in trouble.

So to me, the result is less important than the performance today. We can afford to lose, but we can't afford to capitulate tamely.

If all our rivals lose today then it is more important if we win and also true if they all win.

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Looking at the other games I think if we don't win today we're in deep deep trouble. This team does not want to go into Birmingham and sheffield wednesday needing points in my book as I have little confidence in them standing up to that kind of pressure. If we win today and grab a couple of points against Blackburn and Preston that should be just enough to keep us clear of the abyss. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Looking at the other games I think if we don't win today we're in deep deep trouble. This team does not want to go into Birmingham and sheffield wednesday needing points in my book as I have little confidence in them standing up to that kind of pressure. If we win today and grab a couple of points against Blackburn and Preston that should be just enough to keep us clear of the abyss. 

If we win today a win then against Brum might just about be enough...

Archived