Is Cash dead for most of us

FindernRam

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

This. 

Give it a generation and the kids of today will be in charge, and they won’t have seen cash since they were little. They’ll see no need for it, and get rid of it. There will be a lot of changes made in the next 30-40 years I reckon, the world will be fairly unrecognisable. 

And I personally have no problem with that. I’m looking forward to it actually. 

I don't think the next generations will have the freedom that us lot have grown up with. A corporate controlled cashless society doesn't sound much fun tbh.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't think the next generations will have the freedom that us lot have grown up with. A corporate controlled cashless society doesn't sound much fun tbh.

You're right, of course. I don't worry too much about the electronic imprint I am leaving as I am old and pretty boring.  But forty years ago, I might have been a little less comfortable with my every move and spend being tracked online. 

I might not want to do anything amiss, but I would like to reserve the right to be able to do so!

15 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I still don’t see a problem with it. How much easier would it be to catch criminals and tax frauds if every transaction was tracked? I’d rather live in a society where genuine criminals can be caught, or better still deterred from doing anything naughty in the first place.

Although, thinking about it, they’ll probably end up trading in assets or services instead. Your bike for a gram of coke, that sort of thing. 

although if I had my way, I’d legalise all drugs and prostitution anyway, so they can get themselves a card machine, be properly taxed and regulated and a whole bunch of people can be decriminalised leaving police to worry about the really dangerous criminals.

Edited by TigerTedd

Hate carrying cash.  Then again I hate having full pockets during the summer months.  So much easier carrying a debit card than have a wallet or a pocket full of change.  Only time I use cash is either for parking or at the chippy...

Can't wait til we're all paying for stuff either by facial recognition or some kind of chip under your skin, so you can just wave your hand at a scanner...

On 03/04/2021 at 15:42, TigerTedd said:

I still don’t see a problem with it. How much easier would it be to catch criminals and tax frauds if every transaction was tracked? I’d rather live in a society where genuine criminals can be caught, or better still deterred from doing anything naughty in the first place.

Although, thinking about it, they’ll probably end up trading in assets or services instead. Your bike for a gram of coke, that sort of thing. 

although if I had my way, I’d legalise all drugs and prostitution anyway, so they can get themselves a card machine, be properly taxed and regulated and a whole bunch of people can be decriminalised leaving police to worry about the really dangerous criminals.

Stop talking sense.

Sad to say that cashless is much nearer than we might think. And it isn't the pandemic, or Dodgy Dave's avoiding the EU's anti-tax avoidance legislation - they have been convenient ways to move us towards cashless a lot quicker.

The real driver is the New World Order where everything will be tracked and monitored. It is why we have seen a huge shift forwards in the amount of tech we carry in our phones, which do monitor us all the time. How many times have you talked about something with your mate only to find a crop of ads turning up on in your social media news feeds? And what do you think Alexa and co are doing when they aren't running errands for us? And why do you think we have all been pushed into having smart meters, and why there are smart motorways? (And no, better road safety isn't the reason, they are actually proven to be more dangerous)

This is the 1984 Big Brother society George Orwell warned us of - it is almost here. It is also why we have had almost all our liberties taken away to fight a virus which is no more deadly than flu. We won't get them back when it is all over, which it won't be for years, and we will never get all our freedoms back.

Make the most of what we have got left, because the future isn't nice unless you are in with the NWO crowd.

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Sad to say that cashless is much nearer than we might think. And it isn't the pandemic, or Dodgy Dave's avoiding the EU's anti-tax avoidance legislation - they have been convenient ways to move us towards cashless a lot quicker.

The real driver is the New World Order where everything will be tracked and monitored. It is why we have seen a huge shift forwards in the amount of tech we carry in our phones, which do monitor us all the time. How many times have you talked about something with your mate only to find a crop of ads turning up on in your social media news feeds? And what do you think Alexa and co are doing when they aren't running errands for us? And why do you think we have all been pushed into having smart meters, and why there are smart motorways? (And no, better road safety isn't the reason, they are actually proven to be more dangerous)

This is the 1984 Big Brother society George Orwell warned us of - it is almost here. It is also why we have had almost all our liberties taken away to fight a virus which is no more deadly than flu. We won't get them back when it is all over, which it won't be for years, and we will never get all our freedoms back.

Make the most of what we have got left, because the future isn't nice unless you are in with the NWO crowd.

Oh thank duck for that. I was worried til you’re last sentence. Luckily my dad is head of the NWO, so I’m okay. Sucks to be everyone else though. 

4 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Sigh....theres a huge debate to be had there mate, unfortunately we cannot be trusted to debate without resorting to personal abuse of fellow members.

Maybe one day we can all agree to attack the post, not the poster.

Don't hold yer breath.

17 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I was in total agreement with you there.

And then you started typing.

It has been somewhat a culture shock moving from Orlando to Cornwall.

I went to grab a kebab a couple of weeks ago and the Turkish didn't take cash.

Sadly (for my guts) I had some cash on me.

Then last weekend I ordered a Chinese and when I went to pick it up they didn't take cash either.

I had about £17.80 on me and it came to about £18.50 but instead of saying 'You know what, we should have told you when you ordered it that we only take cash. Don't worry about the difference seeing as we're making 300% profit anyway' and I'd have left thinking 'well, I shall indubitably be visiting that fine purveyor of asian culinary delights again'.

Instead they made me leave my prawn crackers behind and my entire evening was ruined.

17 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I don't agree with a lot of what you have said here but I think we would all agree it's not without some foundation. The challenge of data is that quite often the information you surrender helps you and also potentially compromises your privacy at the same time - sat nav is a good example. We will have to be more vigilent, and considerate of what information we give up and what rights we have to protect it. You're right - cashless does need consideration in that aspect.

But that doesn't mean we should reject all advances as Orwellian intrusion - I wouldn't trust most politicians (of all persuasions) to sit the right way on a toilet seat so crediting them with nefariously invading the deepest levels of my personal info is - sadly - something I belive is pretty much beyond them. You also need to consider the difference between macro and micro - for example in the recent census they asked you what religion you are, not because they care one bit whether you are Muslim or Sikh but because the macro analysis helps social planning.

As for Covid - we all may have a view on what level of lockdown was needed but if you think it's all been a ruse to possess our privileges I would suggest, politely and respectfully, that you are very much wrong on that one.

18 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Do you want to borrow someone's tin hat?

In all seriousness, convenience wins. Everyone takes their phone with them, no matter where they go. I don't have to worry about ensuring I have enough cash on me as I have instant access to every penny in my bank. A quick swipe of my phone vs finding an ATM to withdraw cash before heading to the shop? Easy choice.
Whenever I receive cash off someone, it just sits in my wallet for months until I accumulate enough to warrant depositing in the bank. I don't even take my wallet anywhere, unless I'm depositing the cash, or I know someone will ID me when buying alcohol.

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Do you want to borrow someone's tin hat?

In all seriousness, convenience wins. Everyone takes their phone with them, no matter where they go. I don't have to worry about ensuring I have enough cash on me as I have instant access to every penny in my bank. A quick swipe of my phone vs finding an ATM to withdraw cash before heading to the shop? Easy choice.
Whenever I receive cash off someone, it just sits in my wallet for months until I accumulate enough to warrant depositing in the bank. I don't even take my wallet anywhere, unless I'm depositing the cash, or I know someone will ID me when buying alcohol.

Exchequers all over the World get great benefit from interest free borrowing in the shape of promissory notes (bank notes)

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't agree with a lot of what you have said here but I think we would all agree it's not without some foundation. The challenge of data is that quite often the information you surrender helps you and also potentially compromises your privacy at the same time - sat nav is a good example. We will have to be more vigilent, and considerate of what information we give up and what rights we have to protect it. You're right - cashless does need consideration in that aspect.

But that doesn't mean we should reject all advances as Orwellian intrusion - I wouldn't trust most politicians (of all persuasions) to sit the right way on a toilet seat so crediting them with nefariously invading the deepest levels of my personal info is - sadly - something I belive is pretty much beyond them. You also need to consider the difference between macro and micro - for example in the recent census they asked you what religion you are, not because they care one bit whether you are Muslim or Sikh but because the macro analysis helps social planning.

As for Covid - we all may have a view on what level of lockdown was needed but if you think it's all been a ruse to possess our privileges I would suggest, politely and respectfully, that you are very much wrong on that one.

Agree with much of what you say, sir! However, the pandemic isn’t specifically just to take away our rights, but it has been taken advantage of to speed up what was already in progress, and has been since the late 1700s.