Is Cash dead for most of us

FindernRam

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Aunt gave me 2 £50 notes for my 21st birthday and absolutely nowhere would take them, I ended up changing it at the bank in the end then went out and got spangled with it. 

as for cash these days I barely ever use it. Even the kids pocket money is a running total on a whiteboard and she tells me what she wants.

Cheques are more obsolete than cash.

i haven’t had a cheque book for years.

Cash - recently paid the auto-electrician in belper. He wanted cash. Nudge nudge wink wink. 
And on Friday - when starving to death - went to allestree chippy (conveniently next door to a co-op cash point) and got chips with curry sauce. (Irish curry sauce! - is this new? I’d never heard of it. It’s Brilllliiiasanntt!)

12 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well not really, and the window cleaner seems to live modestly. He's making do with a 2007 Bentley for petes sake.... ?

Since window cleaners went ‘ladderless’ raging inflation has happened ?

It's interesting. Even the buskers here in London have contactless tap machines (set for £2).

Cash is useful because it's harder for the government and corporations to control it. If everything is electronic under their gift, they can close your accounts and take all your money, or tell you you've been buying too much sugar this month and aren't allowed to buy any more. And they just create more money at their whim, deflating the value of yours. This is why we think of cryptocurrencies as "the people's money" rather than the government's/banks'). In the future, they will be the equivalent of what cash is today.

And no I don't use cash at all nowadays.

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's interesting. Even the buskers here in London have contactless tap machines (set for £2).

Cash is useful because it's harder for the government and corporations to control it. If everything is electronic under their gift, they can close your accounts and take all your money, or tell you you've been buying too much sugar this month and aren't allowed to buy any more. And they just create more money at their whim, deflating the value of yours. This is why we think of cryptocurrencies as "the people's money" rather than the government's/banks'). In the future, they will be the equivalent of what cash is today.

And no I don't use cash at all nowadays.

The next logical step is for beggars to carry contactless tap machines. They won't be getting coins dropped into their Styrofoam cups for much longer

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cash is useful because it's harder for the government and corporations to control it. If everything is electronic under their gift, they can close your accounts and take all your money, or tell you you've been buying too much sugar this month and aren't allowed to buy any more.

Think that ship sailed long ago. Where do you get cash if you don't have a bank account or card?

1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

The next logical step is for beggars to carry contactless tap machines. They won't be getting coins dropped into their Styrofoam cups for much longer

Of course chuggers do this, but I feel for people genuinely in need who don't have access to the cashless society. In fact, my only use for cash over the last year has been to give to people claiming to be homeless or in need of money for shelters. 

14 hours ago, RamNut said:

Cash - recently paid the auto-electrician in belper. He wanted cash. Nudge nudge wink wink. 

Agree with this.

Paid cash for a new kitchen and assorted trades, I’m sure there are plenty of which would be dead against a cashless society, as I don’t think too many are ready to be crypto currency traders.

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

And on Friday - when starving to death - went to allestree chippy (conveniently next door to a co-op cash point) and got chips with curry sauce. (Irish curry sauce! - is this new? I’d never heard of it. It’s Brilllliiiasanntt!)

It always makes me laugh when I hear how backward the yanks are with technology.. The parent company I work for is NY based and still pays it staff twice a month with a cheque.. All the suppliers are also paid by cheque.. ducking third world.. 

Contactless is still very rare in the States.. Only a few subway stations will accept contactless by swiping your card. Even had someone present me with one of those manual credit card things where it takes a carbon of your card and you sign.. duck knows how they ever got to the moon.,

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

It always makes me laugh when I hear how backward the yanks are with technology.. The parent company I work for is NY based and still pays it staff twice a month with a cheque.. All the suppliers are also paid by cheque.. ducking third world.. 

Contactless is still very rare in the States.. Only a few subway stations will accept contactless by swiping your card. Even had someone present me with one of those manual credit card things where it takes a carbon of your card and you sign.. duck knows how they ever got to the moon.,

Well, that’s a whoooooole new thread ?

34 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I paid at Morrison’s with cash yesterday, the cashier welled up looking at it, she said it was a magnificent sight and it had been a long time since she’d held one in her hand.

Then I got me wallet out.

@angieram! This is what they want! ?

f2e562118543739bc8e05c7dce3d927d.gif

On 30/03/2021 at 14:59, cstand said:

Cashless society will happen at some point in the future I don’t agree with it but my kids moan when they go anywhere and can only pay by cash so young people will embrace the idea. 

This. 

Give it a generation and the kids of today will be in charge, and they won’t have seen cash since they were little. They’ll see no need for it, and get rid of it. There will be a lot of changes made in the next 30-40 years I reckon, the world will be fairly unrecognisable. 

And I personally have no problem with that. I’m looking forward to it actually. 

Archived