Bucko to coach the U23s

Carl Sagan

If you’ve ever had the privilege of speaking to Bucko, you’ll know he is precisely the exact sort of coach/character you need about the place:

1. An inspirational example of what you can achieve in the game if you apply yourself.

2. Scored “that goal “ against Dogs & Dirties

3. loves Derby County

4. Understands the highs and lows of being a footballer

5. Totally respected everywhere

6. Will get the likes of Jordon Ibe ticking again like a mercurial Swiss clock. 

Absolute no brainer. Pleased to bits he’s here. Suspect Nigel would’ve wanted him at Mansfield if he had a budget. 

FEDE7BAA-4CD2-46DC-BA3B-79ACD41E489F.jpeg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree.

He was a great example of someone who had to fight like mad to have a professional career, had to constantly fight for his place, never gave up, never moaned, just got on with proving people wrong and putting a shift in whenever called upon.

He might just have a sound knowledge of what sort of attitude could help a lad to make it. Skil, technical ability, talent, whatever you call it, is not enough, you have to have the mental strength to take the knocks, lose your place, be criticised and be able to fight back, wait for your chance, work on your weaknesses. 

Jake might not be a great manager but there is no reason why he couldn't be a great coach.

Having seen him coach u15s a couple of years ago, he’s not a very good coach at all. Just because you’ve been a professional player doesn’t mean you will be a good coach.  Intelligence and good communication skills are needed and that’s not something that a lot of players possess!

15 hours ago, Pearson. said:

Were a joke.

Detach your self from the sentiment, and I was one of his biggest admirers, but why are we employing him?

Having watched his embarrassing failure at Burton it's lost on me.

It's bad enough appointing unproven novices but employing ex players that are a proven failure just beggars belief. No wonder we are in such a mess.

I've no idea if he's any good or not, but there are lots of examples of highly renowned coaches being crap managers. Just because you can't do one job doesn't mean you can't do another.

22 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

To be fair, when Bucko was playing under Mac 1 and formed the partnership with Keogh, his passing range was superb. Better than anyone in our current team. 

The tactics currently being employed by the first team is sideways and back, if we went more direct and back to how Rooney picked up points it would only be a good thing. 

His good 'passing phase' was  sadly very brief ! 

53 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

Having seen him coach u15s a couple of years ago, he’s not a very good coach at all. Just because you’ve been a professional player doesn’t mean you will be a good coach.  Intelligence and good communication skills are needed and that’s not something that a lot of players possess!

I'm guessing he left your son on the bench?

17 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

No, he didn’t have any say in the team, he was a casual coach.  

Who are the good coaches?

Bucko's been involved in coaching since his early days.

When he was at Mansfield a lifetime ago, he used to also help coach the under 16's.

I know, because my mates son was one of those coached. 

Don't mess about son, you're a defender. Head it, kick it, clear it and let others do their jobs ahead of you was his mantra, as it probably should be as a defensive coach for a small league two sides youth set-up, as an inexperienced coach.

I don't believe he'd be the same way now, with all that experience behind him, both as a player and a coach.

The remark about intelligence and communication skills comes across to me as snobbish, frankly.

That's what most people from our area sound like, I've never heard or seen Jake interviewed and thought he's anything less than a humble fella, who's as honest as the day is long.

If he didn't feel like he was a decent coach and able to impact his charges, he'd hold his hands up and go back to the building site.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Bucko's been involved in coaching since his early days.

When he was at Mansfield a lifetime ago, he used to also help coach the under 16's.

I know, because my mates son was one of those coached. 

Don't mess about son, you're a defender. Head it, kick it, clear it and let others do their jobs ahead of you was his mantra, as it probably should be as a defensive coach for a small league two sides youth set-up, as an inexperienced coach.

I don't believe he'd be the same way now, with all that experience behind him, both as a player and a coach.

The remark about intelligence and communication skills comes across to me as snobbish, frankly.

That's what most people from our area sound like, I've never heard or seen Jake interviewed and thought he's anything less than a humble fella, who's as honest as the day is long.

If he didn't feel like he was a decent coach and able to impact his charges, he'd hold his hands up and go back to the building site.

Not sure what is snobbish about it? If you’ve never heard or seen him interviewed, how can you comment?

3 hours ago, Footymum2017 said:

Not sure what is snobbish about it? If you’ve never heard or seen him interviewed, how can you comment?

That's what most people from our area sound like, I've never heard or seen Jake interviewed and thought he's anything less than a humble fella, who's as honest as the day is long.

Directly quoted from my post, how did you think I'd reached the conclusion he's a humble fella, as honest as the day is long, without listening to or seeing his interviews?

10 hours ago, Rev said:

That's what most people from our area sound like, I've never heard or seen Jake interviewed and thought he's anything less than a humble fella, who's as honest as the day is long.

Directly quoted from my post, how did you think I'd reached the conclusion he's a humble fella, as honest as the day is long, without listening to or seeing his interviews?

Sorry i misread your post.  I wasn’t questioning his honesty, just his ability as a coach.

1 hour ago, Footymum2017 said:

Sorry i misread your post.  I wasn’t questioning his honesty, just his ability as a coach.

And his intelligence and communication skills ?

What you are trying to say is, he comes from a working class background? In which case you are probably insulting half of the people on this forum.

And yes, you come across as extremely snobbish. But, you are entitled to your opinion, as much as anyone else.

41 minutes ago, Floppy Sausage said:

And his intelligence and communication skills ?

What you are trying to say is, he comes from a working class background? In which case you are probably insulting half of the people on this forum.

And yes, you come across as extremely snobbish. But, you are entitled to your opinion, as much as anyone else.

I think it is you that is insulting people by insinuating that people from a working class background aren’t intelligent.  I never mentioned his background,  I don’t know anything about his background and you don’t know anything about mine

1 hour ago, Footymum2017 said:

I think it is you that is insulting people by insinuating that people from a working class background aren’t intelligent.  I never mentioned his background,  I don’t know anything about his background and you don’t know anything about mine

You see to know a lot about him. Never mind. Not here to start arguing over if Jake Buxton is thick.

7 minutes ago, Floppy Sausage said:

Strange that, because from reading your past posts, you seem to know everything. Oh well.

I’ve never said that I know everything, I voice my opinion if I have knowledge of the topic. If your opinion differs and you have some knowledge on the subject then fair enough, but you seem to just want to insult me for having an opinion that you don’t agree with.

Archived