Frank Worthington has passed away

David

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey!  Is this what happens when you start to get on a bit... all your boyhood heroes start dropping at what seems like regular weekly intervals?

Yet more sad news.  Yet another sad day.  And yet more great memories laid to rest.

Worthy by name.  Worthy by nature.  Thanks for the showmanship.

Rest easy, Sir. 
xxx 

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

He was of the George best, Stan bowlers and Rodney Marsh type wasn't he? 

Read his autobiography - hilarious and hair raising in equal measure.... ?

Signed for Liverpool but failed the medical - amazing to think of him playing in that side.

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Did that commentary start with “Allardyce’s throw...”? 

Looks like it...

That wonder goal was the opener.  Alan Brazil scored 2 at Half Time to put Ipswich ahead!

A certain Sam Allardyce equalised on 90 mins, only for John Wark to steal it for the cheating tractor munchers after the final whistle!

Well, something like that, anyway!

Facts, figures and line-ups here...

https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-1978-1979-bolton-wanderers-ipswich-town/

(I don't do screenshots!) 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Signed for Liverpool but failed the medical - amazing to think of him playing in that side.

Yes, I think I’m correct in writing if it wasn’t for Worthy’s medical issue, there would have been no Toshack\Keegan partnership, the former being signed as his replacement.

Went on to prove the medical men wrong though. One of my favourite footballers that never played for us. RIP.

Gosh- quite a shock that. RIP

I did wonder at one time whether we should have signed him when he left Huddersfield 1972 when the got relegated.

trevor cherry went to Leeds at the same time, 

I assume he didn’t appeal to Cloughy.

I read once about him turning up for England duty wearing a cowboy hat and a pancho. It might have been Colin Todd’s biography.

Alf Ramsay’s jaw dropped and he said “what the f...k is that?”

?

Always good to watch was Worthie. I recall him wearing white 'long-johns' during a cold spell and causing a stir for a match. Not sure if was deliberate on his part or not but raised eyebrows! He certainly was a character as well as a great footballer.

The first I heard of Frank was when Huddersfield played Derby.

Their fans spent the whole match chanting "Oh, Frankie Frankie, Frankie Frankie Frankie Frankie Worthington!"

They were probably surprised that we had placards up saying "Worthington E"!

RIP Frank, sympaties to your family.

Archived