Derby Managers In Focus (March 2021): From Nigel to Wayne

Nuwtfly

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Late in the season we went there under Wassall and bossed them when they needed a win to go up, or something. Ultimately drew 1-1 with them scoring a 95th minute equaliser. Hughes absolutely ran the show on his return from injury if I remember correctly. Was a performance under Wassall that showed under him we were easily able to compete with the very best teams in the division. Shame we threw that away the next season by hiring Pearson to rip up a team that didn’t need ripping up, then compounding that by sacking Mac to allow Rowett to rip it up even further.

One of the games I usually get to. Hughesy was indeed imperious and weimann scored a rare goal. 

Their late equaliser was scored by that man Utd loanee we then had at the start of the next season I think. 

Nick someone was it? 

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Late in the season we went there under Wassall and bossed them when they needed a win to go up, or something. Ultimately drew 1-1 with them scoring a 95th minute equaliser. Hughes absolutely ran the show on his return from injury if I remember correctly. Was a performance under Wassall that showed under him we were easily able to compete with the very best teams in the division. Shame we threw that away the next season by hiring Pearson to rip up a team that didn’t need ripping up, then compounding that by sacking Mac to allow Rowett to rip it up even further.

Day Leicester won the league, bus left without me and Dad because we’d stayed in Brighton drinking hahahahah

4 hours ago, SecretDave said:

Personally, I'd like to see Wassall get the manager's job. He knows how to get the best out of our young players, and looking at his record, he didn't do too bad when in charge. I'd certainly turn to him if we were relegated. 

Hasn't managed since the last time he was our interim manager. If we were to go down the academy manager route, we'll be choosing between Justin Walker and Pat Lyons.

The trouble as always with using win percentages as a statistic is that they don’t take into account the relative quality of squad that each manager had / the expectation placed upon them. For example, Paul Clement and Gary Rowett had very similar win percentages, but I’d argue Rowett getting top 6 with the squad he had was a bigger achievement than Clement getting in the playoff positions before he was sacked. Ergo I’d say Rowett was much more successful, despite being similarly positioned in that list.

Along those lines, I think it’s difficult to compare Rooney to managers like Lampard given the poor squad he inherited. His job has simply been to keep us up, much more like the expectations placed on Nigel Clough. So comparing Wayne to the master of mid table, his win percentage doesn’t look too bad so far. Hard to argue he’s been a failure up to this point, but the next 8 games will probably define his time in charge. And I’m not optimistic based on our recent form.

On 21/03/2021 at 16:19, Nuwtfly said:

I think Wassall arguably did the worst job! That team should never have lost six games - we were one of the better sides in the division at that point with arguably the best squad!

The decision to not replace Clement adequately messed that season right up. Even George Thorne has said as much!

Spot on. That team was capable of promotion, no question. If it was necessary to part company with Clement, perhaps it would have been sensible for the chairman to have a decent replacement lined up, before pulling the trigger. 

10 hours ago, europia said:

Spot on. That team was capable of promotion, no question. If it was necessary to part company with Clement, perhaps it would have been sensible for the chairman to have a decent replacement lined up, before pulling the trigger. 

Is it not the case that that squad was full of very expensive players who didn’t fit together in any way who were purchased by Mr Clement with no idea how to use them. Really not sure who from that team gets into either of the two play off final teams, personally. Obviously apart from the individuals who were indeed in those teams as well. 

There was also zero chance we were getting top 2 by the time Wassall took over and we were unlucky / naive in the play off semi first leg before just falling short by absolutely bossing Hull in the second leg. Not sure what more Wassall could’ve done except maybe keep one more defender on the half way line in the first leg or maybe got his crystal ball out to see Thornes leg would be snapped in half v Ipswich. Don’t hold either against him really. 

On 21/03/2021 at 16:42, Jimbo Ram said:

What more could Mac have done to commit himself to Derby in your view? When a Manager is doing the great job he did for us it is inevitable that bigger clubs will show interest . He was asked on numerous occasions about the link and each time committed to the Rams. What would you have liked him to have done differently? In terms of the second half of the season, we were great and top of the table up until the end of February when the core of the team were all out because of injury. Did the rumours of the Newcastle job only affect performance from March then? He was linked well before then with the Toon. To my dying day I will believe without the injuries Mac would have got us up automatically that season...and I would have him training with the team and on the bench for matches through until the end of the season......

I'd have just liked Mac to do what Cocu when linked with Feyenoord in his first season at Derby. Said he wasn't interested and wouldn't be going and instantly killed the speculation stone dead. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-phillip-cocu-feyenoord-3563410

That's all Mac had to do but instead he let it all drag on for half a season during which we went from being top of the league to finishing eighth.  

Listening to the excellent Talk Derby To Me Podcasts it's pretty clear that the players were definitely impacted by the constant speculation about the Newcastle job and McCLaren's clumsy attempts at 'constructive ambiguity' when responding to questions about it from the media. George Thorne, for example, says very clearly that this was a major factor in Derby's season coming off the rails that year. 

Despite claiming, once the season was over, that he'd "never being tempted" by the Newcastle job on the 6th of May 2015, he was nevertheless appointed as Newcastle manager on the 10th of June?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/steve-mcclaren-says-he-was-never-tempted-by-newcastle-job-31200950.html

32 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

I'd have just liked Mac to do what Cocu when linked with Feyenoord in his first season at Derby. Said he wasn't interested and wouldn't be going and instantly killed the speculation stone dead. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-phillip-cocu-feyenoord-3563410

That's all Mac had to do but instead he let it all drag on for half a season during which we went from being top of the league to finishing eighth.  

Listening to the excellent Talk Derby To Me Podcasts it's pretty clear that the players were definitely impacted by the constant speculation about the Newcastle job and McCLaren's clumsy attempts at 'constructive ambiguity' when responding to questions about it from the media. George Thorne, for example, says very clearly that this was a major factor in Derby's season coming off the rails that year. 

Despite claiming, once the season was over, that he'd "never being tempted" by the Newcastle job on the 6th of May 2015, he was nevertheless appointed as Newcastle manager on the 10th of June?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/steve-mcclaren-says-he-was-never-tempted-by-newcastle-job-31200950.html

He committed to Derby every time he was asked, just like Cocu did....

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Quick update before the final game of the season...

Games - Wins - Draws - Losses - Win Percentage

(Wikipedia)

Derby County Managers - Win Percentage.PNG

Chris Hutchings and David Lowe double manager needed. 100% record, win and clean sheet vs Man Utd with the team below...

image.png.dfe14dec0d5b69cec15a3fbaff8ed170.png