Rooney needed back in the team?

Boycie

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It made me smile how a number of SKY pundits were still saying he was our best player when he decided to hang up his boots....obviously hadn’t bothered to watch him play...or try and play...

Exactly.

SSN have never heard of any of our players except Rooney, so, rooney must've been our best player.

I was highly skeptical of the deal when it was announced - but - he proved me wrong when he came in with his excelent performances.

After lockdown, however, he looked like he'd run out of wazza juice and couldn't do it any more and that continued all this season when he did play, we played better without him, a couple of time he was out and we looked better then changed everything to get him back in and got humped. I'm not going to say he wasn't trying, I'm sure he was, I'm saying, he just couldn't play at championship level anymore.

Him not being in the team was the single best thing about him becoming manager. So the notion that him playing again would offer any benefit is laughable.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Exactly.

SSN have never heard of any of our players except Rooney, so, rooney must've been our best player.

I was highly skeptical of the deal when it was announced - but - he proved me wrong when he came in with his excelent performances.

After lockdown, however, he looked like he'd run out of wazza juice and couldn't do it any more and that continued all this season when he did play, we played better without him, a couple of time he was out and we looked better then changed everything to get him back in and got humped. I'm not going to say he wasn't trying, I'm sure he was, I'm saying, he just couldn't play at championship level anymore.

Him not being in the team was the single best thing about him becoming manager. So the notion that him playing again would offer any benefit is laughable.

Is this a first, unanimous agreement in a thread of more than one post ?

It's never going to happen as his fitness wouldn't be up to it with having 5 months off but for the record I didn't think Rooney was finished as a player or anywhere near as bad as people made out. 

Granted his final game against Boro was awful but his penultimate against Bristol City was a good performance. The reason we had such a poor start to the season wasn't because Rooney was in the team it was because up until the Forest game in late October we didn't have a striker and even that striker was Waghorn. You could certainly argue that the performances of the younger players have dropped off (Bird, Knight) since Rooney has left the team, which possibly wouldn't have happened with Rooney marshalling them on the pitch.

When Cocu got sacked (wouldn't have sacked him either, would have given him a run with Bielik in the side) I'd have got McClaren in as temporary manager to the end of the season with Rooney as a player/ Assistant, with the thought of Rooney taking over at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived