The Waghorn situation

samwcave

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been quite a few threads where footballers' employment conditions have been compared to a typical worker's. I do not think that they are easily compared.

Most people with the skill and attitude to be a successful footballer could earn a decent typical wage in a completely different field, away from the glare of the public eye. They do not have to be footballers, and earn a grotesque untypical income. It's their choice.

(Obviously, there are people who want to play football to the highest standard. Should they have to be in the public eye? I think so. That's what football is.)

(Thinking of an alternative to football. If someone wanted to be a serial killer, they'd probably end up in the public eye eventually. So, however much they might have a talent for the old serial killing, they would probably end up on the news and being abused. And if they couldn't stomach that, they should probably look for an alternative pastime.)

[I originally wrote this in the first-person, but it sounded a little too uncomfortable. There's attempts at dark humour, and then there's pitch black humour.]

In contrast, I haven't heard anything about the players of "Imaginary-Sunday-league-unremarkabke-team" United.

If players (and supporters) want anonymity, nothing is stopping them from playing for (or supporting) their local islut Utd.

Also, the football system requires all of these interviews and commentaries.

And they happen because of us! If we didn't want to hear them, then they wouldn't happen. They certainly fuel forums!

What do we want to hear: vacuous platitudes, where we only hear warm cuddly comments about players?

Is it only the [whatchamacallhim] referee in the black whom managers can criticise?

Rooney is not going to be a perfect manager. It's his first year! Was Fergie perfect at Aberdeen, or wherever it was that he started off?

And didn't Fergie not say something like, different players need to be treated differently? Or was it Clough?

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

A player's reputation potentially ruined because some people can't get their tongues out of Rooney's arse, lovely stuff.

I don't think Waghorn's reputation has been ruined, or even stained. Indeed the only person who has been particularly criticised over this is Rooney.

No-one knows what Waghorn did!

Maybe he arsed about at the wrong moment! Maybe he said something offensive! Whatever he did - that's fine with me. No-one's perfect! We all mess up.

Likewise, with Rooney, he's either deployed amazing man-management, or he has mishandled a situation.

In both cases, it's fine!

What is better than saying, "Waghorn did not play on Saturday because of unacceptable behaviour on Friday."

Maybe, Rooney could have said, "Waghorn has an injury!"

Maybe Rooney has had enough of people lying.

25 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Rooney is not going to be a perfect manager. It's his first year! Was Fergie perfect at Aberdeen, or wherever it was that he started off?

And didn't Fergie not say something like, different players need to be treated differently? Or was it Clough?

I suspect most of those using Fergie as a comparison weren't around during his early days at Man Ure when he was 1 or 2 games away from being sacked....

Someone mentioned Waghorn's mental health - so I hope this hasn't adversely affected him.

And while Rooney is our manager, he is vulnerable too, with it being his first year - so we should probably support him as much as we can.

(Personally, I think that Rooney can shrug off criticism, but who knows? Until he proves himself, and to his own standards, he might take on board the criticism - and if he were to lose confidence, then we would be in dangerous waters.)

I think that the team have strengthened, including Waghorn. But it's backs against the wall time. Someone said five points will be enough. If Rooney is trying to manage in a way that gets us those five points, that will look different to how he might manage if we were higher up the league.

Whether Rooney's treatment of Waghorn turns out to be right or wrong - it was affected by our current situation - and it doesn't mean that Rooney won't make more questionable decisions - or mean that he won't do things differently next season.

All that I definitely know is that I don't have the man management skills to be a football manager!

All this nonsense being spewed out!!! We have no idea what Mr Waghorn did to generate being dropped for disciplinary reasons even when we were short up front. It is reasonable to assume that it was considered serious enough for Rooney to take the action he did, rather than the easy option. Huge credit to him for his honesty and long may it be like that. 

I have even read that it will ruin the players career (I think it was Cocopop or something like that), what nonsense. These are grown men who are working in a competitive atmosphere, not a bunch of hysterical whimps that jump on their keyboard with their faux horror trying to gain attention for themselves.

Keep the faith children!! x

2 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

I don't think Waghorn's reputation has been ruined, or even stained. Indeed the only person who has been particularly criticised over this is Rooney.

No-one knows what Waghorn did!

Maybe he arsed about at the wrong moment! Maybe he said something offensive! Whatever he did - that's fine with me. No-one's perfect! We all mess up.

Likewise, with Rooney, he's either deployed amazing man-management, or he has mishandled a situation.

In both cases, it's fine!

What is better than saying, "Waghorn did not play on Saturday because of unacceptable behaviour on Friday."

Maybe, Rooney could have said, "Waghorn has an injury!"

Maybe Rooney has had enough of people lying.

I wouldn't worry I don't think that Waghorns reputation for fluffing 1 on 1 s with the keeper is in any serious jeopardy. 

25 minutes ago, bcnram said:

All this nonsense being spewed out!!! We have no idea what Mr Waghorn did to generate being dropped for disciplinary reasons even when we were short up front. It is reasonable to assume that it was considered serious enough for Rooney to take the action he did, rather than the easy option. Huge credit to him for his honesty and long may it be like that. 

I have even read that it will ruin the players career (I think it was Cocopop or something like that), what nonsense. These are grown men who are working in a competitive atmosphere, not a bunch of hysterical whimps that jump on their keyboard with their faux horror trying to gain attention for themselves.

Keep the faith children!! x

I'm ever so sorry for trying to show a little compassion and look at things from a wider perspective than the end of my own nose, rather than simply joining in with the pack-like behaviour of people using a one-sided story to attack a Derby County player because they don't rate him on the pitch.

The rest of your post doesn't even warrant a reply, seriously pathetic stuff, antagonistic drivel, and completely untrue.

Here's my two pennorth: part of the problem is that all through this season Waghorn has been undroppable, regardless of performance. Running up to Saturday's game it is highly likely that CKR won't  be fit, so Waggy's place is a done deal, so maybe he felt that he didn't have to bust a gut to get into the team. After all, he hasn't all season, he just kept getting picked. If so, then there is your attitude problem.

I'm actually glad that he didn't make it into the team. As a centre forward he is expected to get on the end of crosses to get headers on goal. But whenever he goes up against a defender challenging for a crossed ball, he always spins while he is climbing up so that by the time the ball arrives he has his back to the defender and/or the ball, and therefore can't see it at all. I have seen this about him all the time he has been at Derby, almost as if his intention isn't to get an attempt on goal, but to simply disrupt the defender from heading the ball away. Seeing how much Colin struggled on Saturday, Waghorn would have been a total waste of a position. Not only can he not hit a barn door with a banjo, he doesn't even try to convert crosses into goals.

And no, Rooney's handling of Sibley wasn't a man-management masterclass. Sibley's performance against Brentford was simply the result of giving him a decent amount of time in his best position. Proved by playing him on Saturday back out on the wing, with the ball fizzing miles over his head. The poor lad had no chance, and was a dead cert to be subbed off before a ball was kicked.

There is  need for the players to get their backsides thoroughly kicked, but when they are being hamstrung by the tactics, they aren't the only ones at fault. 7 defensive-minded players including TWO defensive midfielders is stupid, and having rediscovered how to blast the opposition, he took us back to what doesn't work, in the vain hope that against all odds it might work.

I wonder what would happen if Mel publicly criticised Wazzer for his tactical naivety? 

I remember a few months ago Darren Bent was on talksport talking about Roy Keanes stint as a manager he said Roy could never understand why the players weren’t  as good as him in games and in training could be similar to why Rooney is struggling 

Archived