Jump to content

The Waghorn situation


samwcave
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This.

Waghorn is able to talk to whoever he wants with him being at the back end of his contract, His agent will I would have thought been on the phone to clubs about his availability, His wages would be a stumbling block I guess, The money that was offered 3 years ago is no more, Players will be shown the door to ply their trade at a vast reduction of their wages.

WR is to honest for his own good at times, A reporters wet dream, Sibley 1st now Waghorn, It all makes intriguing reading and some will put 2+2 and come up with 5, Drop him and say nowt would have been my option, But was this Waghorns 1st time at doing what he was reported at doing.

Never a dull moment being a Derby supporter

What makes it worse is that Sibley was third and Waghorn fourth. First was Marriott and second Whittaker.

We have a young dinosaur at our helm, who is not capable to lead without fear, it seems.

Edited by Dimmu
I forgot Holmes. Make it five.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

To put an opposite spin on this, since CKR picked up his injury, Rooney had almost certainly intended to have Waghorn as his main striker at Stoke. They will have worked out tactics and trained with that setup in mind.
If they got to training on Friday and then Rooney  found that Waghorn was dicking about, taking the piss, and/or distracting the younger players then you can understand him being furious - as he said in the post-match interview, if the players didn’t realise they were in a relegation battle, they do now. Maybe the behaviour he saw from Waghorn suggested he wasn’t taking the club’s predicament seriously....

 Everyone that has ever played with Rooney has pointed out his absolute professionalism when it comes to playing the game (whatever mistakes he may have made off-field) - as a manager he expects the same approach from his players - and he’s made that plain numerous times.
Waghorn has clearly done something that indicates he doesn’t have the same attitude - if there’s a danger that affects the rest of the squad, then we’re going to get relegated.
Rooney had to drop him and send a very clear message that he needs to get his act together for the good of the club.... making that public may seem harsh but maybe he figures that’s the only way to get the message through - or maybe he was furious that because of Waghorn‘s behaviour, he’d been forced to play a clearly unfit CKR and as a result we’d produced such an inept performance....

You've got a good imagination 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, samwcave said:

Regarding the rumours about waghorn right now.. I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on it. 
 

In my opinion, I think it’s unfair of Rooney to bring this into the public eye. Never really seen anything like this, and think if a player ‘hasn’t been trying in training’ it’s only right to have a private conversation with him afterwards. The sibley thing a couple days ago seemed harsh, but turned out to be great man management in the end. Not sure if this is an attempt at getting a reaction from waggy, but if is then it doesn’t seem like a very smart way of doing so. Bit Disappointed really. 
 

what’s everyone else’s thoughts on this? 

Not sure about that bit. Sibley spent yesterday watching the ball go over his head. 

As for Waghorn who knows what’s gone off. But Rooney has gone public on it which usually signals the end of the road. Not sure it’s the right thing to do, that said I don’t know what Waghorn has been up to!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, samwcave said:

Regarding the rumours about waghorn right now.. I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on it. 
 

In my opinion, I think it’s unfair of Rooney to bring this into the public eye. Never really seen anything like this, and think if a player ‘hasn’t been trying in training’ it’s only right to have a private conversation with him afterwards. The sibley thing a couple days ago seemed harsh, but turned out to be great man management in the end. Not sure if this is an attempt at getting a reaction from waggy, but if is then it doesn’t seem like a very smart way of doing so. Bit Disappointed really. 
 

what’s everyone else’s thoughts on this? 

Would agree with you. Only ever go public if a relationship has broken down or when defending/praising a player. Training is an in-house matter & if Rooney isnt able to marshall a better standard of training from Waghorn without complaining publicly about it, it doesnt bode well for his control of the squad in general.

This isn't even the first instance this week of questionable public comments. In the aftermath of Sibley's strike on Tuesday, Rooney publicly highlighted the intention behind his critical comments the previous Saturday, said he'd had a chat with Louie but wanted to make it public also...why?

This public man management must be irritating & embarrassing to the players & I can't believe it will serve to inspire them. Remember hearing similiar public call outs from both Nigel Clough & Jewell aimed at certain players and didnt like it then either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

There’s no doubting that he’s had a horrible season. However it seems very strange for him to go from having a really good training session on one day to not trying the next. Something makes me think there is more going on here than just effort in training. 

I’d imagine he might have said ‘this talk of front foot and aggression is all well and good boss but where do you want us to be positionally? And how do you want us to create attacks, which areas do you want us to cause overloads in? Have you thought about changing the hoof it up to CKR tactics seeing as they’ve got a man mountain at cb and CKR is being held together by chewing gum and hope at the moment?’ 

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Im glad he's been called out. About time someone has the balls to single out players. His performances like many others this season have been terrible. 

We have a group of players that look like they care (but might not be good enough) and some that look like they aren't bothered. 

Not every manager we've had in the psst 5 years is a bad manager. The players have to take responsibility. You're in a relegation battle. Get your head down, work hard and get out of it. Its not a time to be messing about. 

You see for me, watching Waggy, he’s had a horrible season but effort is never something I’d ever question from him? Even when he’s had a stinker he’s still chasing down and harassing defenders to the last minute he’s never looked like he’s giving less than 100% when playing. 
I don’t buy that his attitude in terms of application has been the problem I genuinely think he may have called out the fact that we’re rubbish and falling down the leagues at a rate of knots. 7 without a win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Would agree with you. Only ever go public if a relationship has broken down or when defending/praising a player. Training is an in-house matter & if Rooney isnt able to marshall a better standard of training from Waghorn without complaining publicly about it, it doesnt bode well for his control of the squad in general.

This isn't even the first instance this week of questionable public comments. In the aftermath of Sibley's strike on Tuesday, Rooney publicly highlighted the intention behind his critical comments the previous Saturday, said he'd had a chat with Louie but wanted to make it public also...why?

This public man management must be irritating & embarrassing to the players & I can't believe it will serve to inspire them. Remember hearing similiar public call outs from both Nigel Clough & Jewell aimed at certain players and didnt like it then either.

Certainly not the Fergie or Wenger way....never criticised players publicly. Beginning to think Wazza is showing his inexperience and is struggling to handle the pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s been a complete waste of money. Could have had him for £250k so paid £5 million instead a year later. Classic Derby recruitment really. He is still a better player than what we have seen from him this year though. Apart from 2 free kicks and one good finish pretty much every touch has been woeful. If he hasn’t been called out for the pathetic performances on the pitch then he must have done something pretty bad! Really putting himself in the shop window isn’t he.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

So when he called Sibley out to why he wasn't playing, the general reaction was but why single him out.

Now he has explained why Waghorn was dropped from squad, reaction is now keep it behind closed doors.

Cant win with some fans 🤔

Isn’t that a contradiction BillyD, both examples you give are where the majority of fans have said it should have been dealt with internally, not in public...

Edited by Jimbo Ram
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

So when he called Sibley out to why he wasn't playing, the general reaction was but why single him out.

Now he has explained why Waghorn was dropped from squad, reaction is now keep it behind closed doors.

Cant win with some fans 🤔

Not the case. Most people thought his "advice" to Sibley should have been behind closed doors too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This situation worries me more than anything else.

Since the Rooney/Bielik bounce, I haven't been worried about relegation. Even now, we should be pretty comfortable. We are only five points clear, but down at the bottom, five points is a huge amount. The reality is that clubs at the bottom of the table don't pick up many points. We have a small chasm between ourselves and the drop.

I suspect that we only need another five points to stay up. That should be very comfortable. The only way that won't happen is if the players really lose faith in the management team. Worryingly, a sign of that happening could be a fall out with a senior player.

I'm not suggesting that Rooney was wrong - we don't know what happened and Waghorn may well have deserved it. It could be just a problem with a single player, rather than a sign of more deep-set issues. What I mean is, if the end of this path is disaster, the beginning of it would probably look a lot like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Isn’t that a contradiction BillyD, both examples you give are where the majority of fans have said it should have been dealt with internally, not in public...

For those who said that yes, but there was ones that said why just Sibley.

Out of interest, what would you have rather he said when asked why he wasn't in the squad ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screw Waghorn, he’s a mediocre player who’s only real asset is his willingness to work hard when it suits him. 
The fact that CKR came in and we all said ‘look at his attitude and professionalism’ speaks volumes about the rest of the players in the squad. If Waghorn isn’t going to bother taking training seriously then he should be hauled out for it.

Theres obviously been a problem with the attitude of some players in the squad that Rooney would have seen at first hand when he was a player here, he got rid of Holmes pretty sharpish. 
There are plenty of other mediocre players out there willing to run around a bit. Get rid of them if they’re not willing to put in the effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BIllyD said:

For those who said that yes, but there was ones that said why just Sibley.

Out of interest, what would you have rather he said when asked why he wasn't in the squad ?

 

The usual BS, he didn’t have to publicly say what he did. An internal matter in my view, just like Sibley was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Not the case. Most people thought his "advice" to Sibley should have been behind closed doors too.

As a fan, if a player isn't in the team or squad I would like to know why. 


Same with Aubameyang for Arsenal other week, their manager gave an explanation of why as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.