Mel had a dream

Derby blood

2 hours ago, Rev said:

You can defend or attack Mel as you wish, but it's not necessary.

Just ask yourself simple questions that apply since his takeover, and answer them honestly.

Is the squad better, yes or no?

Is our league position better, yes or no?

Is our financial position better, yes or no?

Do we still own the tangible assets we did, yes or no?

Answer those four simple questions, and then ask has Mel been good for the club, yes or no?

That’s a no then.. To everything.

13 hours ago, RedSox said:

Hinsdight is such a wonderful gift. 

For me, I will always respect what Mel tried to do for the club.  In some areas, we've made massive strides.  In the key 'goal' of promotion, yes we failed.  That's life.  We're still here and in the cliched parlance, we go again (next year).  

People often use the cliche about hindsight. However, that doesn't cut it when the same mistakes are being made again and again. That actually might be considered borderline negligence. 

It would be OK failing to achieve the 'key goal' of promotion, it happens, so no problem. It's gone way beyond that. The club no longer owns Pride Park, the squad is woeful with no funds to rebuild, and DCFC is up for grabs to the first delboy wannabe football club owner to beg steal or borrow enough cash to scrape a deal together.  

Edited by europia

2 hours ago, europia said:

People often use the cliche about hindsight. However, that doesn't cut it when the same mistakes are being made again and again. That actually might be considered borderline negligence. 

It would be OK failing to achieve the 'key goal' of promotion, it happens, so no problem. It's gone way beyond that. The club no longer owns Pride Park, the squad is woeful with no funds to rebuild, and DCFC is up for grabs to the first delboy wannabe football club owner to beg steal or borrow enough cash to scrape a deal together.  

Agree with all of that. 

2 hours ago, europia said:

Nailed it!! 

If its true that the offer for Derby which didn't happen, which was a rumoured 60 million, must have included the ground.

At present, Mel probably is not in a position to give greater detail on other potential offers. There could be a confidentiality clause in discussions.

Mel will want to sell the club.

If Derby are relegated, Mel receives between 20 million and 30 million.

Thats a huge amount of money he's lost in running Derby.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

If its true that the offer for Derby which didn't happen, which was a rumoured 60 million, must have included the ground.

At present, Mel probably is not in a position to give greater detail on other potential offers. There could be a confidentiality clause in discussions.

Mel will want to sell the club.

If Derby are relegated, Mel receives between 20 million and 30 million.

Thats a huge amount of money he's lost in running Derby.

Someone pointed out a while ago that the Sunday Times Rich list is a work of fiction. I doubt the people who compile it will have calculated how much he’s poured into the club. Also, they don’t know how his other investments have done and I doubt he’d tell them. How much of his wealth is in VC deals we’ve never heard of which have tanked? How much in quoted companies like Amazon or Netflix which have gone through the roof?  
And £60m for the club? What does that mean?  Are loans repaid included? Is more being paid for the stadium?  Don’t think there are published sources for any of this are there? I doubt we’ll ever really know

54 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Someone pointed out a while ago that the Sunday Times Rich list is a work of fiction. I doubt the people who compile it will have calculated how much he’s poured into the club. Also, they don’t know how his other investments have done and I doubt he’d tell them. How much of his wealth is in VC deals we’ve never heard of which have tanked? How much in quoted companies like Amazon or Netflix which have gone through the roof?  
And £60m for the club? What does that mean?  Are loans repaid included? Is more being paid for the stadium?  Don’t think there are published sources for any of this are there? I doubt we’ll ever really know

You sometimes find out more about the finances when a club goes into administration, seems unlikely with Derby, but I guess always expect the unexpected.

5 minutes ago, derby8 said:

You sometimes find out more about the finances when a club goes into administration, seems unlikely with Derby, but I guess always expect the unexpected.

How would it play out if we went into administration in the close season? Obviously a big points deduction for next season, and Mel walking away without any return on his investment, but he would offload the monthly losses going forward.

As for prospective new owners, they would buy the club for a minimal outlay and be able to use their capital to invest in the playing side , rather than purchasing for 60 million? Who owns the ground/ Moor Farm at present ?

58 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

How would it play out if we went into administration in the close season? Obviously a big points deduction for next season, and Mel walking away without any return on his investment, but he would offload the monthly losses going forward.

As for prospective new owners, they would buy the club for a minimal outlay and be able to use their capital to invest in the playing side , rather than purchasing for 60 million? Who owns the ground/ Moor Farm at present ?

I think that in administration, the club still legally exists and so will have to seek a way of satisfying its creditors. 

There should be a priority order for this (employees and hmrc are quite high by law) but the big unknown for me is players contracts. 

If we are stuck looking at net negative outlay for a while then that would put investors off. 

So you end up liquidating the club and starting afresh having written off all debts. 

Ie "doing a Leicester". 

Personally I cannot see any way out of administration other than liquidation but that is an educated guess. 

Is Mel leaving the club in a better state than he found it? Absolutely not. He gambled a substantial chunk of his own personal wealth and the long term stability of the club on promotion and it didn't pay off.

The best outcome we can possibly hope for now is that whoever he eventually sells the club to has a more sensible plan and enough cash to see it through, and that this takes place as soon as possible. I made a jokey post in the Abu Derby takeover thread that we will still be asking when the takeover will be complete at the end of the season. Well, we're almost there.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

• 3 weeks later...

This bloke has got to go ASAP this is his doing we are in this situation, he’s made Derby into a ducking laughing stock! experimenting on novice managers, at court every other day, playing the ‘Derby way’ wanting the team to be all academy players, letting the recruitment team to constantly duck up signings, using a ducking betting company to pay a player, I could go on and on, this club will never progress with him and Pearce in charge of things until they piss off the only way is down!  Pair of clowns!

On 16/04/2021 at 22:09, JayRam1 said:

This bloke has got to go ASAP this is his doing we are in this situation, he’s made Derby into a ducking laughing stock! experimenting on novice managers, at court every other day, playing the ‘Derby way’ wanting the team to be all academy players, letting the recruitment team to constantly duck up signings, using a ducking betting company to pay a player, I could go on and on, this club will never progress with him and Pearce in charge of things until they piss off the only way is down!  Pair of clowns!

Are you picking up the bills after he's gone or do we go out of business? 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Are you picking up the bills after he's gone or do we go out of business? 

As owner he should pick up the bills until the change of ownership has gone through and the new owner pays them. He has got to take at least some responsibility for the financial mess the club was in well before Covid came on the scene....his decisions at the end of the day....

This bloke has got to go ASAP

It's pretty clear he's trying to sell up ASAP

this is his doing we are in this situation, he’s made Derby into a ducking laughing stock! 

In your opinion

experimenting on novice managers,

Clement, Lampard and Rooney. We were top 6 when one was sacked, Playoff Final under the next, too early to judge on the 3rd - top 4 form when the sqaud was fairly injury free, bottom 6 form when the squad was ravaged by injuries suggests there's a bit of potential going into next season.

at court every other day,

Nothing like a but of hyperbole ?

playing the ‘Derby way’ wanting the team to be all academy players,

Continuing with to the hyperbole... the numbers being used only increased when our financial position worsened...

letting the recruitment team to constantly duck up signings,

Recruitment team or manager? How do you know the recruitment team haven't been spotting the same players as Brentford only for the manager to turn them down then choosing his own targets?

using a ducking betting company to pay a player,

You do know how sponsorship works, don't you?

I could go on and on, this club will never progress with him and Pearce in charge of things until they piss off the only way is down!  Pair of clowns!

In my opinion, you've made yourself look more like a clown than either of the two you mention.

51 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

As owner he should pick up the bills until the change of ownership has gone through and the new owner pays them. He has got to take at least some responsibility for the financial mess the club was in well before Covid came on the scene....his decisions at the end of the day....

Which is exactly what he is doing?

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's pretty clear he's trying to sell up ASAP

In your opinion

Clement, Lampard and Rooney. We were top 6 when one was sacked, Playoff Final under the next, too early to judge on the 3rd - top 4 form when the sqaud was fairly injury free, bottom 6 form when the squad was ravaged by injuries suggests there's a bit of potential going into next season.

Nothing like a but of hyperbole ?

Continuing with to the hyperbole... the numbers being used only increased when our financial position worsened...

Recruitment team or manager? How do you know the recruitment team haven't been spotting the same players as Brentford only for the manager to turn them down then choosing his own targets?

You do know how sponsorship works, don't you?

In my opinion, you've made yourself look more like a clown than either of the two you mention.

Which is exactly what he is doing?

And so he should ?