Mel had a dream

Derby blood

2 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Mel is selling the club, not the ground, this is putting buyers off apparently, but u seem to know more than me, so Mel is selling the ground then, first i have heard of this. Thanks for the update. 

If what you say is right then you’re ahead of me and I apologise 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no doubt that he had the right intentions. He put his hand in his pocket for us many times.

Whichever way you look at it, though, we are in a far worse position than we were when he bought the club. We were on the brink of the Premier League when he came in. Now we're on the brink of relegation to League One in a few short years. The acquisition of players in that time has been nothing short of disastrous. 

When you think that Nigel Clough managed to find and bring in Bryson, Martin, Ward, Russell, Keogh, Buxton and Forsyth for less than we spent on Jacob Butterfield shortly afterwards tells you everything you need to know.  

We paid twice as much for Bradley Johnson as we brought in selling Will Hughes. It is no way to run a club and we are suffering for it. 

There’s a split down the middle when it comes to him. He’s either been very good for the club or he’s been completely shambolic. It’s easily explainable.

He’s the owner any club would wish for. He’s also the chairman from hell. Both statements can be and are true. 

3 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Buying the ground is not really a issue there are lots of clubs all around the world that are bought and sold who do not own their own ground. Look along the A52 for one. 

Not an issue unless you end up in a situation like Coventry City. The now have to play their home games at Birmingham City's St Andrews stadium. 

I’m all for a frank discussion on the pro’s and con’s of Melvin Morris’ tenure at Derby but we must be careful not to go down the road Forest fans went with Doughty. Mel certainly doesn’t deserve that kind of animosity. 
To be honest neither did Doughty

Think it’s pretty harsh to criticise Mel as a person, it’s quite clear that he just wants the best for the club, same as the rest of us. 

It isn’t, however, very difficult to criticise him as a chairman. He’s given a total disaster-class in how to run a football club - he took over a team on the brink of the Premier League, and he’ll leave them in League One, despite investing millions. Think that speaks volumes about how his time at the club has gone.

Recruitment has been the biggest problem, it’s been atrocious throughout his time in charge yet he seems to have done little to fix it. Pretty much all of our current issues stem from that - it’s left us in a right financial mess. The constant changing of managers with completely different styles hasn’t helped either - it’s been impossible to build any sort of long term philosophy. The closest we’ve come to one is the utterly absurd 50% of the first team from the academy target, which seemed like a desperate last throw of the dice when we ran into FFP troubles. It was never realistic that that many players would make first team standard, and the whole idea of playing academy players for the sake of it just isn’t right. They should break through when they’re good enough and deserve it, not just to fill some stupid quota. Really annoyed me that did, we ended up so short on depth in the first team that we were relying on young players stepping up. You should never be in that situation, it’s too much pressure on those players - they should break through only when they’re ready.

So yeah, I wish you all the best Mel, but it’s definitely time to bring someone in who knows how to run a football club, and has the funds to sort our mess out. Who such a person is I have no idea.

Its not all been his (Mel's)  fault every manager he has employed has been backed (rightly or wrongly) in hind sight. That is because he has always look at things from a fan's prospective. Each year chasing the dream if "I just give it one more 'big' go then the prize is within our grasp syndrome  (which is in all of us). 

Some of choices of manager seemed inspired at the time but turned out not be the case , others used use as stepping stone to bigger and better things (or so they thought). Other were just hopeful punts based on other peoples opinions. 

The only person who as really lost out is Mel himself both monetarily and health wise. 

As supporters we've suffers the emotional highs and low's but these have always been part and parcel of following the Rams since i was boy in mid 1960's. It will continue to be the case just as it at 90% of clubs in league. 

I know we like to think were different to everyone else but really were not and no one has god given right to be successful all of the time.

Ask even the 'biggest' teams fans. 

Give the the man credit for at least thinking big just like Lionel Pickering

On 21/03/2021 at 17:26, europia said:

Not an issue unless you end up in a situation like Coventry City. The now have to play their home games at Birmingham City's St Andrews stadium. 

Incorrect, Coventry have signed a multi year deal to go back to the Ricoh.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-ricoh-arena-boddy-20236077

55 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Incorrect, Coventry have signed a multi year deal to go back to the Ricoh.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-ricoh-arena-boddy-20236077

Actually my comment wasn't incorrect, at the time of posting. Also Coventry City have been in a long standing conflict regarding being allowed to play at the Ricoh Stadium, so I wouldn't read too much into the latest statement. The point of my post was that a club not owning their own stadium can create a lot of uncertainty and instability.  The Coventry City situation is a hardly model example of a club not owning their own stadium being a good thing. 

Did Mel not take over before we were top 6? I thought it was him who fired Clough.

Mel had obviously made a pigs ear of things, but his intentions have been good and he has invested a lot of money into the infrastructure of the club and a reasonable amount into the playing side. This has been offset by poor managers, poor scouting and recruitment which is what gets clubs promoted. Everyone needs finances, but they have to be spent properly, which we failed to do. He threw a hell if a lot of money Paul Clements way, and he basically threw it up the wall on poor players.

1 hour ago, RamInSweden said:

Did Mel not take over before we were top 6? I thought it was him who fired Clough.

Mel had obviously made a pigs ear of things, but his intentions have been good and he has invested a lot of money into the infrastructure of the club and a reasonable amount into the playing side. This has been offset by poor managers, poor scouting and recruitment which is what gets clubs promoted. Everyone needs finances, but they have to be spent properly, which we failed to do. He threw a hell if a lot of money Paul Clements way, and he basically threw it up the wall on poor players.

It was GSE/Rush who made the decision to dismiss Clough.

Mel's sackings began from McClaren's first spell onwards.

On 21/03/2021 at 21:08, cannable said:

There’s a split down the middle when it comes to him. He’s either been very good for the club or he’s been completely shambolic. It’s easily explainable.

He’s the owner any club would wish for. He’s also the chairman from hell. Both statements can be and are true. 

I smell a poll on the horizon.... 

My take on Mel’s tenure.

Did he want the best for the club ? You bet he did.

Did he surround himself with the best people to make that happen ? No

Are we in a better or worse position since he got involved ? Worse.

Do I hold any grudges or think negatively of him ? No, I would probably been as bad if I was in his position.

It’s just sad we find ourselves in the position we are in, sad for Mel, sad for us.

What is it that is paved with good intentions again ? I can’t remember.

What annoys me the most is the alleged retorts on here when we pissed money up the wall on Johnson, Anya, Blackman, Butterfield et al with well you weren't complaining when we signed then were you.....well I said as long as we can afford them then I doing give a monkey's...history has dictated that clearly we couldn't.

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What annoys me the most is the alleged retorts on here when we pissed money up the wall on Johnson, Anya, Blackman, Butterfield et al with well you weren't complaining when we signed then were you.....well I said as long as we can afford them then I doing give a monkey's...history has dictated that clearly we couldn't.

A bit harsh on Johnson to bracket him with Anya, Blackman, Butterfield and Et Al. 

Archived