El DerbyCo

roboto

32 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I know that Alonso hasn't helped himself by saying (did he actually say it?) that he wasn't going to say any more until the deal was done, but all the tweets and brief resumes of interviews have been taken completely out of context. He has said what has been reported, but with much more that hasn't!

tbh i think he was talking about the actual deal to buy the club, ie, numbers etc. All he's been saying really is his dream to take us to the prem and then, hopefully european football.

That's my take on it anyway.

3 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

tbh i think he was talking about the actual deal to buy the club, ie, numbers etc. All he's been saying really is his dream to take us to the prem and then, hopefully european football.

That's my take on it anyway.

I agree with you, but as I said, I don't think he has even said that he wouldn't be saying any more. Someone will obviously now prove me wrong (hi @DarkFruitsRam7 ??).

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I agree with you, but as I said, I don't think he has even said that he wouldn't be saying any more. Someone will obviously now prove me wrong (hi @DarkFruitsRam7 ??).

I believe he put out an official statement saying he’d be making no further comment on the matter. Can’t be arsed to dig it out though!

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

If he were to buy a club for love it would be Logroñés, but the opportunity to buy DCFC was too interesting to pass up. If however he could buy any club in the world it would be Atlético Madrid.

You see.....that goes straight to the root of my concern......

What if we were to meet Atlético in the European Cup final? Would he have torn loyalties?

8 hours ago, td_evans said:

Alonso was on a Spanish radio station this evening and the recording is here, unfortunately my level of Spanish is limited to ordering a San Miguel in Benidorm so I have no idea what he's saying. 

https://www.ondacero.es/programas/transistor/asi-erik-alonso-joven-espanol-que-comprado-Derby-county-llevarlo-elite_202104136074d6e2f144bb0001604a35.html

"When asked about the reception he had received from fans he was delighted with the response".

No way has this bloke discovered dcfcfans yet. Wait until he stumbles across some of the fans' response on here.......

tenor-9.gif

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Reasonable? Maybe...if everything goes to plan. 

If he does the same as Mel (invest pretty heavily) with the same result where are we then...least Mel hasn't asset stripped or left unpayable debts? Feels like everything is dependent on getting that Premier League money and no idea how much patience he has. 

Going to be interesting at least! 

Assuming he backs us right up to the P&S limit, plus continues to spend on the academy and other little bits, then it's a minimum of £20m investment per year. Add in any transfer fees due and loans to repay, let's round that up to £25m.

As an investor, he'll be looking to make a profit. There are three options. Option 1: strip back all expenditure so that we can make a profit in the Championship. Option 2: win promotion and sell the club straight away. Option 3: win promotion and run the club at a profit.
Let's hope it isn't option 1.
Assuming option 2, that means going up spending up to about £100m (to match the increase in club value). Given promotion bonuses could range from £10m-£20m depending on the business we do. It means we would need to go up within 3 years.
Option 3, it means not making a return on the investment until a number of years after being in the PL.

My money would be on option 2.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assuming he backs us right up to the P&S limit, plus continues to spend on the academy and other little bits, then it's a minimum of £20m investment per year. Add in any transfer fees due and loans to repay, let's round that up to £25m.

As an investor, he'll be looking to make a profit. There are three options. Option 1: strip back all expenditure so that we can make a profit in the Championship. Option 2: win promotion and sell the club straight away. Option 3: win promotion and run the club at a profit.
Let's hope it isn't option 1.
Assuming option 2, that means going up spending up to about £100m (to match the increase in club value). Given promotion bonuses could range from £10m-£20m depending on the business we do. It means we would need to go up within 3 years.
Option 3, it means not making a return on the investment until a number of years after being in the PL.

My money would be on option 2.

I think going into this, they're looking to Option 2. If it doesn't work out, a very quick revert to Option 1 will be the upshot (a la GSE)

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Shouldn't part of the business plan be for the academy to be better than break even? 

Should at least be covering its costs and then some or else why do it? 

Academy spend is exempt from P&S, but sales are not. So even if you spend £40m on the academy but only receive £1m in sales, you'd still be £1m better off for P&S than if you didn't have an academy at all.

Since the start of the 11/12 season, I believe we have spent the best part of £40m on the academy. We have have sold players for about £32m (based on transfermarkt and newspaper figures). But, we also have a number of players in the first team who will have a non-paper value. Assign values to the likes of Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley, and I think it's fair to say we've got more out of the academy than we've put in

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Academy spend is exempt from P&S, but sales are not. So even if you spend £40m on the academy but only receive £1m in sales, you'd still be £1m better off for P&S than if you didn't have an academy at all.

Since the start of the 11/12 season, I believe we have spent the best part of £40m on the academy. We have have sold players for about £32m (based on transfermarkt and newspaper figures). But, we also have a number of players in the first team who will have a non-paper value. Assign values to the likes of Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley, and I think it's fair to say we've got more out of the academy than we've put in

Exactly. And we only really started sowing seeds 7 or so years ago. Give it another 5 years and the academy will be paying for itself easily. Especially if we get to the Premier League 

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

This genuine? If so, he hasn't bought the club yet and so isn't saying anything.. but he intends on buying an international striker in the twilight of his career who I think is under contract elsewhere?

Obviously we are merely concentrating on avoiding relegation as a priority... not unsettling the current players saying who we are replacing them with? 

Does worry me so far it seems to be a bit of a vanity project but with the only plan being getting the Premier League money. Recipe for disaster. 

I can only hope we get promoted quickly because if not you can't help but feel it's a disaster waiting to happen. 

It’s genuine. The premier pot of gold does seem to be a key feature in this chat. Take from that what you will. 

10 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Exactly. And we only really started sowing seeds 7 or so years ago. Give it another 5 years and the academy will be paying for itself easily. Especially if we get to the Premier League 

The conveyor belt is well under way. Shonibare, Bateman, JML, Cresswell, McDonald , Foster, Stretton, JBrown, Ebosele, Wilson, Solomon and Ibrahim all having been included in the matchday squad this season (not including the Chorley game).