El DerbyCo

roboto

I didn't like it much when it went quiet during the Sheik takeover.

I don't really like it much when Alonso talks about £20 million players and the Champions League

I have decided to confine my immediate worrying to avoiding relegation this season, once we are safe, I will review my options and pick something else to worry about, there always plenty of choice when you support Derby. ??

23 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Nothing wrong with it at all, just quite a statement, especially when we can barely get a team together at the moment let alone score a goal ? If he gets us there I'll be ecstatic. 

I think that's what he's saying, this team, apart from a few will not be playing next season, certainly ckr won't be our main striker. 

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

The more I hear of Alonso, the more he reminds me of several people I have known who are great risk takers/dreamers. In my experience, these people don't have middle ground. Whatever they do it is spectacular; whether success or failure.

My guess is that in 3 years we'll either have just secured a Europa League place or be licking our wounds having just been relegated to League 2 with much of the previous 36 months spent in administration. 

It's a bit terrifying, but I bet it won't be boring.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Stupidly rich people are big risk takers. I know a multi millionaire and he always said to me you don't get rich by being cautious, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but if you keep going eventually you'll end up where you want to be. He said he and his wife spent 2 Xmas days having sausages because they couldn't afford anything else in the early days.

I think it's going to be a fun ride, could it go wrong?, Yes of course but it could also go so right. Like I said before, we don't know who's backing him yet so let's stoo the jibes and mocking until we know the facts. If it turns out he's got naff all then we can have a field day ??

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Last thing I read was that he is now facing arrest in a China after upsetting a string of unhappy investors (whose money he claimed was his own when purchasing Aston Villa).

Hopefully the only thing he and Mr Alonso have in common is their desire for Champions League football ?

Scary!

6 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Stupidly rich people are big risk takers. I know a multi millionaire and he always said to me you don't get rich by being cautious, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but if you keep going eventually you'll end up where you want to be. He said he and his wife spent 2 Xmas days having sausages because they couldn't afford anything else in the early days.

I think it's going to be a fun ride, could it go wrong?, Yes of course but it could also go so right. Like I said before, we don't know who's backing him yet so let's stoo the jibes and mocking until we know the facts. If it turns out he's got naff all then we can have a field day ??

Aha! Finally the mystery of the breakfast club sausage scandal is revealed!

30 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I think that's what he's saying, this team, apart from a few will not be playing next season, certainly ckr won't be our main striker. 

If what you believe he's saying turns into reality then we'll be in for another season of struggles. We need to slowly build, and not overhaul the entire squad in one transfer window.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If what you believe he's saying turns into reality then we'll be in for another season of struggles. We need to slowly build, and not overhaul the entire squad in one transfer window.

Well that's what lampard did, and it worked. We made it to the playoff final. 

22 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

But failure to get up left us in the crap we are in now. 4 seasons or so of chasing the dream. A last hurrah before we had to change our ways. 

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Depends on the players he brings in I suppose. If we are able to bring in players like what Wolves did then there's a good chance we'll have a good season.

Wolves did it in one season

Lampard nearly did it, so it is possible I think.

A good summer and let them bed in, then a top up in Jan window could well get us there.

Easy innit ?

17 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

But failure to get up left us in the crap we are in now. 4 seasons or so of chasing the dream. A last hurrah before we had to change our ways. 

I don't disagree, but if we recruit well and don't overspend on average players, it is possible to have a good season at the first time of asking. It's not always about building for 4 years which was the notion under Cocu, I never believed it personally. Success is usually pretty instant, one or two seasons. If it hasn't clicked by then it probably never well. Wolves was instant, Norwich did it in the second season, Leeds did in two seasons. 

6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I really don't think anyone is jealous. I think most people are watching and waiting for it to go wrong to laugh at us. I honestly don't think anyone thinks this is a good thing, in the same way that no people other than a few overexcited fans got any good feelings from the sheikhy sheikh coming in.

What...?? I feel like i was totally alone in saying the fake sheikh was going to be a bad thing...everyone was creaming themselves saying we are going to be like Man City (what a horrible thought) and be playing in Europe etc etc..

43 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

16 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Depends on the players he brings in I suppose. If we are able to bring in players like what Wolves did then there's a good chance we'll have a good season.

Wolves did it in one season

Lampard nearly did it, so it is possible I think.

A good summer and let them bed in, then a top up in Jan window could well get us there.

Easy innit ?

Iirc, we went into the Lampard season with this team in mind:

Carson
Wisdom   Keogh   Davies   Malone
Bryson   Ledley   Mount
Wilson                     Lawrence
Waghorn/Marriott

Given that's just a LB, CM, RW and CF away from what we had under Rowett, it wasn't exactly the massive turnover implied by "this team, apart from a few will not be playing next season". In fact, Fozzy reclaimed his starting spot until he also picked up another serious injury.

Obviously, Bogle broke through, Davies picked up a serious injury and replaced by Tomori, but the rest of the team didn't change too much. Cole, Jozefzoon, Evans, Holmes were all squad players so don't really come in to it.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carson
Bryson   Ledley   Mount
Waghorn/Marriott

Given that's just a LB, CM, RW and CF away from what we had under Rowett, it wasn't exactly the massive turnover implied by "this team, apart from a few will not be playing next season". In fact, Fozzy reclaimed his starting spot until he also picked up another serious injury.

Obviously, Bogle broke through, Davies picked up a serious injury and replaced by Tomori, but the rest of the team didn't change too much. Cole, Jozefzoon, Evans, Holmes were all squad players so don't really come in to it.

I'll raise you Jim Smith & Billy Davies

Both did it in one season & made big changes to the squads ?

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carson
Bryson   Ledley   Mount
Waghorn/Marriott

But for the main bulk of the season or at least by the end of it, the team was Roos, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Johnson, Mount, Holmes, Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn. That's 8 new players. The point is, it was largely a new team, a new way of playing. It can be done in one season.