El DerbyCo

roboto

Just now, angieram said:

Wouldn't that be wonderful if we could do the same with our Academy players? How special would that be? 

It certainly would. I should clarify what I meant by very early 20's. Those 5 players are: Rinomhota (23), Richards (23), McIntyre (22), Holmes (21) and Olise (19). All have featured for at least 1735 minutes this season (all competitions).

Whilst on the subject of academies. This will be the second year in a row that a club without a Cat 1 academy has failed to stay up in the PL - Watford (2) and Bournemouth (3) the only sides last season, and Sheff Utd (2) this season who are not Cat 1.
There's a very strong correlation between academy status and league position, with Brentford and Sunderland the obvious outliers.

48 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Ambitious in name only eh?

Well if he had said, Our first aim will be to build a team in the 1st division and hopefully in 5 or 6 years we will attempt to get back into the Championship and really establish ourselves there. You wouldn't be very happy would you?

I'd be much happier if he said we have realistic expectations to improve year-on-year, including the facilities around the club and our revenue off the pitch, i.e. marketability.

I'd rather hear of goals and targets to improve our sustainability and can be measured. By all accounts, we're a very bad Championship side at the moment. If we could even look to get back into the top 10 next season then that SHOULD be seen as a job well done. I feel like whoever the manager is, because I doubt it will be Rooney, will be under the weight of expectation. Chairman who talk about such delusions of grandeur tend to lack patience.  

The more I hear of Alonso, the more he reminds me of several people I have known who are great risk takers/dreamers. In my experience, these people don't have middle ground. Whatever they do it is spectacular; whether success or failure.

My guess is that in 3 years we'll either have just secured a Europa League place or be licking our wounds having just been relegated to League 2 with much of the previous 36 months spent in administration. 

It's a bit terrifying, but I bet it won't be boring.

Edited by CornwallRam

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd be much happier if he said we have realistic expectations to improve year-on-year, including the facilities around the club and our revenue off the pitch, i.e. marketability.

I'd rather hear of goals and targets to improve our sustainability and can be measured. By all accounts, we're a very bad Championship side at the moment. If we could even look to get back into the top 10 next season then that SHOULD be seen as a job well done. I feel like whoever the manager is, because I doubt it will be Rooney, will be under the weight of expectation. Chairman who talk about such delusions of grandeur tend to lack patience.  

quite agree Ambi

as it stands, avoid relegation this year we will still be fighting for survival next unless we get some better quality reinforcements.  Top ten next year and a bit of a cup run would be good but I guess we may be in a minority

Being old and cynical, Mr Alonso's declarations about Premier League and 'eventually' Champions League status, is about as daft and irrelevant a chunk of vacuous, hot-air instant appeasement that fans could fear, expect, or dismiss.

It will only serve to make DCFC an article of ridicule up The Trent and beyond!

Here's your check-list for starters, Erik, in the real world of bottom-six existence:

* Ensure wages are paid and staff are ready for some sort of 'normality' for 2021-22

* Publish accounts and fight any EFL sanctions

* Sort out S/T refunds and publish ticket offers for next season

* Establish loyalty with team management and football staff via concrete assurances

* Underwrite an urgent squad rebuild, jettison the numerous Moor Farm loafers who can't even play at this level. 

* Retain and enhance the Academy management to achieve and maintain excellence

* Find a competent recruitment team to secure players who want to achieve more than a healthy bank-balance

* Meet fans and give them fresh but realistic hope and pride in their club

* If you are just vain, moneyless, deceptive or cunning, make sure you can get out of town PDQ!

So....What makes you think I've hated this season, can't wait for it to end, and am wondering if I can ever be excited about DCFC again?!

Edited by Woodypecker

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

I find it really odd that he is all over the media, talking about getting us to the Champions league, £150 million on players, he’s got investors, he hasn’t got investors and it’s just his money blah blah blah 

He doesn’t even own the club yet!

Talk about running before you can even crawl! 

Like the sheikh helping to appoint Rooney and running the club in tandem !! 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Former Aston Villa owner, Tony Xia, comes to mind when reading those Champions League comments.

All well and good to be ambitious, but one person's looking to the stars is another person's head in the clouds.

He's moved on now then? 

Aston Villa only just scraped promotion (?), should rightfully have been relegated, but are doing okay this year. 

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

What did PG have to say mate ? 

Just about it was a privilege for him to be involve in DCFC in the past, ruthless world of football (forgotten quickly/expectations/money), and unfair playing field in championship (Norwich/Bournemouth had a lot to spend compared with others) Had confidence in Mel Morris' judgment, said it was unlikely Morris would stay on in any capacity...similar to when he went. Didn't seem too impressed with disruption caused by Sheikh and Alonso, If no money has been put in, why are these guys talking to staff such as Rooney etc. Said it was just not done in business although football is its own world I guess. Said Rooney has to learn his trade as manager to get the club doing well. Most important is finance- he said £30mil is needed in cash to compete. Regardless of assets.

3 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Whats wrong with that?. Should he just say "we'll stay in the championship for another 6-7 years, hoping to get into the playoffs like the previous 13 seasons".

All he's telling us is it's his ambition to eventually get us into the CL.

I bet a few Leicester fans were thinking the same when they got took over.

We have no idea what level of backing he has do we.

Nothing wrong with it at all, just quite a statement, especially when we can barely get a team together at the moment let alone score a goal ? If he gets us there I'll be ecstatic. 

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

He's moved on now then? 

Last thing I read was that he is now facing arrest in a China after upsetting a string of unhappy investors (whose money he claimed was his own when purchasing Aston Villa).

Hopefully the only thing he and Mr Alonso have in common is their desire for Champions League football ?