El DerbyCo

roboto

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well we've fallen fairly far already during Mel's tenure. 

If we have a 'big' stated aim - even if it's a long way off - then it might encourage players to come, even if it only sways them by 10% it might make a difference.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I agree with that 100%. Just not sure this bloke will be any better.

It’s a fair argument, but it may also swing the other way - might make players think there’s a deluded muppet running the club and there’s no chance they’ll come here.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What would you have liked him to say instead?

"The eventual goal is to scrape PL survival every year like Newcastle and Palace"
"The eventual goal is to fluke a promotion"
"The eventual goal is to reach the playoffs"
The eventual goal is to stay in the Championship"

I don’t mind having ambition. Just probably not wise to come out with comments like this right now.

I find it really odd that he is all over the media, talking about getting us to the Champions league, £150 million on players, he’s got investors, he hasn’t got investors and it’s just his money blah blah blah 

He doesn’t even own the club yet!

Talk about running before you can even crawl! 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Outstanding. 

We have all on staying in the Championship, having scored 13 goals from open play in 41 games, so talk of the Champions League is only going to add to the current mockery this club is under. 

Ambitious in name only eh?

56 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Agreed.

I was all for this guy's enthusiasm, but that line just makes him look like a twonk.

Football club ambitions should be aligned to weight loss - concentrate on hitting the small, achievable goals before you start talking about the designer clothes three sizes smaller!

Well if he had said, Our first aim will be to build a team in the 1st division and hopefully in 5 or 6 years we will attempt to get back into the Championship and really establish ourselves there. You wouldn't be very happy would you?

58 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s definitely setting himself up for a fall with some of these comments ? Bet all the rival fans, especially the Forest lot, have that Champions League quote screenshot and ready to go for when we start next season away to Accrington!

I think it's no worse him having ambition than the opposite,  where you seem to delight in  having us relegated before we actually are.

Either might happen, but what you talk about says more about the individual than the circumstance. 

15 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I find it really odd that he is all over the media, talking about getting us to the Champions league, £150 million on players, he’s got investors, he hasn’t got investors and it’s just his money blah blah blah 

He doesn’t even own the club yet!

Talk about running before you can even crawl! 

Imagine how much he might have said if he hadn't been making comments until the deal was done?

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I agree with that 100%. Just not sure this bloke will be any better.

It’s a fair argument, but it may also swing the other way - might make players think there’s a deluded muppet running the club and there’s no chance they’ll come here.

I think most players are "deluded muppets" themselves - they all think they should be playing in the Champions League! And why not?

If you don't believe in your own ability, who will? 

I remember reading an interview with Johnny Russell about this. He knew that the 13-14 season was his best opportunity to have a go at the big time, and the same could be said for most of that team (only a few having gone on to a career in the PL elsewhere.) 

If that TEAM had gone up and stayed fit, then some of them may well have got to play in the Champions League  if not for Derby, then elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Why not just talk about Sheffield Wednesday though, a team he genuinely made a bid for? No need to bring Cardiff into the conversation.

Because he was asked a question which other teams have you spoken to and he responded with those 2 which he had. Bet if he hadn’t mentioned Cardiff and it came out later some would find a problem with that. There might be issues but  let’s not find them where none are. 

Just to add, it is worth listening to the Radio Derby interview in full rather than reading this typical BBC website clickbait article, which takes this comment completely out of context and writes the short piece around that. 

Presumably because the "journalist" who wrote it (I use the term loosely) knew exactly how people would react.

The whole interview is much more balanced and is quite a good listen. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think it's no worse him having ambition than the opposite,  where you seem to delight in  having us relegated before we actually are.

Either might happen, but what you talk about says more about the individual than the circumstance. 

Similar applies to those who say we have no chance of playoffs next season in my opinion. Just look at Reading and Barnsley.

Take Reading for example. They finished just 7 points outside the bottom 3. They have pretty much the same squad as last year. Signed a 25 year old on a free from Shrewsbury and got 3 loans in - 2 squad players and a backup player. However, that year of struggle meant their promising youngsters gained vital experience. 5 of their 12 most used players this season came through their academy and are only in their very early 20's. Sounds somewhat familiar to our situation?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Similar applies to those who say we have no chance of playoffs next season in my opinion. Just look at Reading and Barnsley.

Take Reading for example. They finished just 7 points outside the bottom 3. They have pretty much the same squad as last year. Signed a 25 year old on a free from Shrewsbury and got 3 loans in - 2 squad players and a backup player. However, that year of struggle meant their promising youngsters gained vital experience. 5 of their 12 most used players this season came through their academy and are only in their very early 20's. Sounds somewhat familiar to our situation?

Wouldn't that be wonderful if we could do the same with our Academy players? How special would that be?