El DerbyCo

roboto

22 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It’s difficult to see why anyone would want to buy a football club other than to strip it of its assets or as a vanity project. No matter how much money you have surely you would want to limit your own risk by sharing it with other investors, if you can find some. 

The assets are peanuts surely, it’s about the cashflows and - as you suggest - prestige. 
Most obvious play for Alonso is he fronts for someone wealthy, has a smaller stake himself and makes a bundle if (if) he can take the club to another level and keep it there. And so does the backer.  
He looked at 4(?) championship clubs. That’s encouraging because it indicates this is not just opportunism flowing from the Sheikh debacle. He’s got a ‘vision’

But you’re up against lots of other billionaires, parachute payments and P&S. So it’s a hard thing to do, as Mel will testify. A key to long term success has to be international sponsorship and if we see that it could be exciting. Could come from the mystery Indonesian or from investors brought in after the deal closes. We just need to wait and see. Only thing for sure right now is we still have a number of pretty hefty egos crashing around at PP, which does not always end well 

Just now, Ambitious said:

Outstanding. 

We have all on staying in the Championship, having scored 13 goals from open play in 41 games, so talk of the Champions League is only going to add to the current mockery this club is under. 

Why?

He said it's his "dream" to take us EVENTUALLY to a champions league place. Why shouldn't he have big aspersions of getting his club as high as possible?.

He's already said he'll build a squad to gain promotion so what the team are doing now will have no influence on the squad that hopefully moves us forward.

Do you really think we'll start next season with Ckr upfront? because i don't.

And don't say it can't be done, Look at Leicester. 

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Outstanding. 

We have all on staying in the Championship, having scored 13 goals from open play in 41 games, so talk of the Champions League is only going to add to the current mockery this club is under. 

Agreed.

I was all for this guy's enthusiasm, but that line just makes him look like a twonk.

Football club ambitions should be aligned to weight loss - concentrate on hitting the small, achievable goals before you start talking about the designer clothes three sizes smaller!

Edited by StarterForTen

5 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Interesting is one way to describe it. 

"The eventual goal is the Champions League. I dream big"

Scrapping to stay in the Championship to getting into the Champions League, all in one interview.  

Whats wrong with that?. Should he just say "we'll stay in the championship for another 6-7 years, hoping to get into the playoffs like the previous 13 seasons".

All he's telling us is it's his ambition to eventually get us into the CL.

I bet a few Leicester fans were thinking the same when they got took over.

We have no idea what level of backing he has do we.

11 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Scrapping to stay in the Championship to getting into the Champions League, all in one interview.  

Although I remember Leicester owners saying the same thing and it sounding a bit far fetched 

18 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

You mean we're not even aiming to win the Premier League but just "settling" for a European place??!!!

Where's the ambition, man?? ?

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Outstanding. 

My thoughts exactly when I read this. It's not bad to have the ambition, but please don't go blurting it out under the current circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s definitely setting himself up for a fall with some of these comments ? 

Well we've fallen fairly far already during Mel's tenure. 

If we have a 'big' stated aim - even if it's a long way off - then it might encourage players to come, even if it only sways them by 10% it might make a difference.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s definitely setting himself up for a fall with some of these comments ? Bet all the rival fans, especially the Forest lot, have that Champions League quote screenshot and ready to go for when we start next season away to Accrington!

Well...... Forest owner said he’s taking Forest to the Premier League and among the elite so they can’t say too much either! 

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s definitely setting himself up for a fall with some of these comments ? Bet all the rival fans, especially the Forest lot, have that Champions League quote screenshot and ready to go for when we start next season away to Accrington!

What would you have liked him to say instead?

"The eventual goal is to scrape PL survival every year like Newcastle and Palace"
"The eventual goal is to fluke a promotion"
"The eventual goal is to reach the playoffs"
The eventual goal is to stay in the Championship"

18 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Agreed.

I was all for this guy's enthusiasm, but that line just makes him look like a twonk.

Football club ambitions should be aligned to weight loss - concentrate on hitting the small, achievable goals before you start talking about the designer clothes three sizes smaller!

Who is saying we won't be setting small targets? We'll have a target for the season, a target for next season, a target for 5 year time, etc...