El DerbyCo

roboto

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

The way to make money as a championship club who doesn’t own their stadium and has little assets to sell is to invest in the squad and get promoted and turn them into a stable prem club and collect 100 million each year

a club can’t just open the chequebook and ‘invest’. let’s assume that we have reduced losses back down towards -£10m per annum; then we can spend £3m and slowly build a possible future amortisation problem at the same time. Plus you get f all for £3m these days.

we absolutely can’t do what Mel did. Weimann, Ince, shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, olsson, kamara, blackman (25m?) plus expensive freebies - Carson, Bent, Baird, Pearce - all in one season, even though we must compete with the loadsamoney parachute money funded clubs.
Who are the top two this season? 

Edited by RamNut

He's come out and given a good account of himself so far, therefore I'm going to judge him on his word: by his actions. 

If I was to say I'm not convinced by this takeover, I would be massively underselling it. I'm genuinely quite concerned with it all, but IF he's the real deal and his family is as well connected as he makes it seem AND we start to make better decisions from the top down. He has my support. He can make a strong start by gutting the scouting department and investing in resources. 

I'm also pleased to see that he vehemently went after the VOX party once that was brought to light. I guess I do find it hard to believe that as a Spanish national who has spent most of his life anywhere but Spain that he would have an issue with immigration. I genuinely hope that puts it to bed. 

If he can associate himself with good people then we have a chance, however there is a lot of variables in the above AND I'm not exactly sure how wealthy him or his family are in order to stomach huge losses. Mel Morris quickly got tired of it. 

The good news is that the club will own its own stadium again. 

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Not sure many of those were down to scouting. Wanchope came as a result of a video sent to Jim Smith by an agent. Ernie was an established international, as was Stimac and Asanovich. Smith already knew Poom as he had played at Portsmouth.

Surely a scouting network picks up a gem from Senegal or Scotland, a player no one has hardly heard of. AKA Brentford or Leicester with Vardy? Signing internationals hardly needs a scouting network, you need a TV.

Either way the recruitment's been crap and needs sorting

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He's come out and given a good account of himself so far, therefore I'm going to judge him on his word: by his actions. 

If I was to say I'm not convinced by this takeover, I would be massively underselling it. I'm genuinely quite concerned with it all, but IF he's the real deal and his family is as well connected as he makes it seem AND we start to make better decisions from the top down. He has my support. He can make a strong start by gutting the scouting department and investing in resources. 

I'm also pleased to see that he vehemently went after the VOX party once that was brought to light. I guess I do find it hard to believe that as a Spanish national who has spent most of his life anywhere but Spain that he would have an issue with immigration. I genuinely hope that puts it to bed. 

If he can associate himself with good people then we have a chance, however there is a lot of variables in the above AND I'm not exactly sure how wealthy him or his family are in order to stomach huge losses. Mel Morris quickly got tired of it. 

The good news is that the club will own its own stadium again. 

I honestly do hate making politically related remarks, but I agree entirely on this paragraph. I've seen only 2 cases in his Twitter account of possibility supporting extreme right politics, and they're not exactly damning. He does however follow numerous non-Caucasian sportsmen and as you say has lived for some time in Asia. As @DarkFruitsRam7 said he's possibly deleted some posts so as to remove evidence, but from what I've seen he is far from being a Nazi.

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All that has changed is we can't now sign any player we liked the look of and could afford from the EU?!

Not if he's crap no. EU nationals now treated the same as other nationalities, just as it should be.

1 hour ago, jono said:

You could draw a precise line and say “ah ha but when he actually took over and where we are now”  yet between those times we have had another play off final, been in the top 2 .. it’s just where you chose to put 2 pins. If you select the best vs the worst. Joining day and leaving day - Then you have a point but it isn’t really a true picture of his tenure. 

We have had good times during his tenure but the aim was to be a regular competitor in the top half of the premier League by the end of his tenure. We haven't even remotely achieved that.

Derby are still in the championship, not only that but now battling relegation and in a mess financially.

I appreciate that in football you need a bit of luck, and you could argue Mel has had his fair share of bad luck. However, with the resources he we had and the money he was willing to put in, I can only come to the conclusion that we haven't been run well enough.

He has made some poor decisions and trusted the wrong people. With a sensible recruitment strategy from the off and the consistent selection of manager who fit the club profile, we probably would be in the premier league by now.

7 minutes ago, Carnero said:

via translator...

"The EFL cannot be brought up for sale by a private entity. We already own the club, we are already working from that position", specific when questioned about the state of the operation. The procedure has to pass various tests and only the one known as 'loaner test' remains "which is simply a form to be filled out", explains Alonso. "The thing is, the person who has to approve the operation is on vacation until the 12th," confesses the entrepreneur who will have to wait until that day to own the Derby for all purposes.

14 minutes ago, inter politics said:

via translator...

"The EFL cannot be brought up for sale by a private entity. We already own the club, we are already working from that position", specific when questioned about the state of the operation. The procedure has to pass various tests and only the one known as 'loaner test' remains "which is simply a form to be filled out", explains Alonso. "The thing is, the person who has to approve the operation is on vacation until the 12th," confesses the entrepreneur who will have to wait until that day to own the Derby for all purposes.

Ah, so it'll be done in 48 hours. 

Now where have I heard that before?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which country's can we potentially scout from post-Brexit? ie the players would need/get a work permit? Scotland?

They say any player aged over 18 and playing in a 'top 5 league' is almost guaranteed a work permit (England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy).

15 points are required to pass the points based system, although a regular player in a top 50 FIFA World Ranking national team automatically gets a pass - Costa Rica, Ghana, Egypt, Romania, Iran, just to name a few. A player to have have in just 1 game for a top 10 country (currently Denmark and Uruguay) gets 8 points
If ranked below 50, they have to be a regular to get just 2 points

Points are also awarded based on minutes played in domestic leagues and more still based on where they finish in the table.
Players get additional points for playing in continental club competitions and extra for progressing further in the competition.

Take Serdar Dursun as an example.
International appearances = 0 points
Continental competition = 0 points
Domestic league = Bundesliga 2 (band 4) = 6 points
Domestic league minutes = 2099/2430 minutes = 86% = 5 points
Domestic finishing position = 12th (current) = 0 points

Total = 11 points = no work permit

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Another example. Agustín Oliveros, a 22 year old CB who has made 1 app for Uruguay.

International appearances = 1/4 in the last year = 10 points
Continental Competition = 0 points
Domestic League = Uruguayan Primera División (Band 5) = 4 points
Domestic Minutes = 1125/1350 (83%) = 3 points
Domestic Position = 4th (current) = 0 points

Total = 17 points = Work permit granted

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

All I have to say is I wish I had a job as steady (and as well paid) as McClaren, he's stealing living as far as I'm concerned.

Do you know what he actually does for his money ?  I don’t so I couldn’t comment on whether he is earning it or not. 
For all we know he might be doing loads in the background or he might be strolling around Costa Del Boro.