El DerbyCo

roboto

3 hours ago, one_chop said:

What I'm struggling to get my head around is why on earth would you buy a second division club as an *investment* ?

There is Zero chance of making any sort of profit from Derby County. Will it just be a vanity project for Erik ? A few photos where he stands fist to fist with Rooney?

As an investor I would rather invest in a burger van and park it outside Pride Park on match day, that's where a profit is to be made. 

A club is instantly worth at least another £100m upon promotion to the PL.

As an investor, he must reckon he can get us promoted by spending less than that.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Says he is waiting for Covid rules to become less stringent to allow him to come over?

I don’t know but there are many people stuck in countries that are not their normal residence.  Tbf you can still come to live in Spain from the uk it is just a lot more difficult.  Not for us to worry about, he will have to meet the rules as they are

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

He wouldn't? He would be aware its  probably a great way to lose money hand over fist... So it's either a vanity project or he plans to asset strip or resell quickly as a reserve plan ? 

What assets can he strip to make more than the reported  50mill price tag ? Can’t be the stadium if that’s included in the sale as it’s protected as a community asset as I recall . To resell surely he would have to add value or probably make a loss. 

13 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Really? I can't imagine a respectable far right party like Vox would operate in that way. If you can't trust the far right, who can you trust?

Good news about Alonso though. I hope he turns out to be ultra woke. Will be interesting to see people who were happy to ignore any dangerous political views he may have, then lose their heads if he does/says anything they deem unacceptable.

That's it. Canceling me tickets. Alonso OUT!

I wasn't ignoring any 'dangerous' political views,

I might even applaud them.  If I actually knew what political views were of course.

Edited by Grimbeard

46 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I understand what you are saying but are we in a better position at the end of his tenure than we were at the start?

And would we have been with anyone else at the helm ? 

54 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm not sure I did. I said that Mel Morris trusted the wrong people and I stand by that. I am not sure the examples of Wigan, Wednesday and Bolton are especially good. They overspent and paid a high price. We have come very close. Are we to give Mel Morris credit for overspending and getting away with it? I am not going to do that.

Do I trust Mel Morris? I would leave him with my pint whilst I went for a slash. I'd let him babysit my kids. I would always believe he had the best interests of the club at heart. Trust? Yes. Free ride? No.

People on here have suggested that the owner can do what he likes because it's his money; others that Morris 'lived the dream' or some such stuff. I don't know if they are the same people that talk about 'our club' and that we will all be here long after this player or that manager etc has left. The two are antithetical.

As I suggested earlier in the thread, I am not self-obsessed or arrogant enough to believe that what I think will or should have any impact on the club but that isn't going to stop me from being concerned about what is happening at the moment or of being critical of the owner and the mistakes he has made. Backing a series of managers then sacking them, leaving the next fellow with players he couldn't use showed poor judgment, as I have already stated, along with other areas, that later meant that the club no longer owned its own ground, amongst other things.

I haven't said anything about winning the league or becoming the next Barcelona. That has come from your imagination.

I can't argue that it's not pathetic to think these things but that's because I don't recognise how it might apply.

I am merely defending Mel when there is to my mind a certain tone from some posters that suggest he has been a bad owner.

considering the nature of this competition, the structure of the industry and what he has tried to do over the last 5 or so years then I dispute that in the strongest terms and will keep doing so. 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I am merely defending Mel when there is to my mind a certain tone from some posters that suggest he has been a bad owner.

considering the nature of this competition, the structure of the industry and what he has tried to do over the last 5 or so years then I dispute that in the strongest terms and will keep doing so. 

I think it has been mixed. If you look at where we are on and off the field now compared to when he took over where would you say we fair on both counts?

54 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I understand what you are saying but are we in a better position at the end of his tenure than we were at the start?

I’d argue that he arrived when we were in a relatively brief purple patch of form with a well organised side. Putting us as a play off side that was an inch from hitting the big time and that it didn’t happen because of Mel isn’t quite right. Where were we 2 years before Steve Macs super blip ? 

We had high finishes or high league positions at various points throughout his tenure until the last half of Cocu’s reign.  

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think it has been mixed. If you look at where we are on and off the field now compared to when he took over where would you say we fair on both counts?

I think off the field we have had the same slump that just about every championship club is facing with the farce that is the financial structure of this league. On the pitch ? Right now it’s tough and not good, I agree,  but equally at some point in Clements time, Lampard time and Cocu’s time we were challenging and in a similar position to when he took over. 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

I’d argue that he arrived when we were in a relatively brief purple patch of form with a well organised side. Putting us as a play off side that was an inch from hitting the big time and that it didn’t happen because of Mel isn’t quite right. Where were we 2 years before Steve Macs super blip

BLIP? It was only a blip because Mel sacked him. Twice.

45 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

That's it. Canceling me tickets. Alonso OUT!

I wasn't ignoring any 'dangerous' political views,

I might even applaud them.  If I actually knew what political views were of course.

Political views are what rich people open the curtains to.

48 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

What assets can he strip to make more than the reported  50mill price tag ? Can’t be the stadium if that’s included in the sale as it’s protected as a community asset as I recall . To resell surely he would have to add value or probably make a loss. 

He could sell a few players (Sibley, Knight, Buchanan) for at least half that total and then sell the club. Would mean it's a gamble where he can't really lose? 

If he is gambling that he will just lose tons of money unless they get promoted, that seems pretty risky as a business proposition?