El DerbyCo

roboto

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I am also very concerned about these things (and others). I guess all we can hope is that most won't impact on the Club and that the EFL test includes checking that there's finance available to run the Club...

They have to show they have funds to run the club for at least 2 seasons 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm sorry but you've lost me. What has this to do with anything? What has how much I might trust Joe Anderson or Owen Royston got to do with criticising Mel Morris? 

If you are happy with Mel Morris' tenure, great. I'm not and I have set out why. Sky Sports and Mike Ashley don't enter into it.

You talked about trust. The truth is that the football industry is messy, tough, complicated and very difficult particularly in the 2nd and 3rd tiers. If you want to look at a ratio of money spent to success achieved them maybe Mel didn’t do very well compared to some of his peers, but just remember this, Wigan went bust, Wednesday got a 10 point deduction, Luton had a scandal, Bolton all but collapsed. 

During Mels tenure ...

ticket prices were stable or reasonable throughout his time. 

the club (like a most champ clubs )  lost money Mel underwrote those losses. 

The academy was developed significantly and positively 

Managers came and went .. Mel backed them and their efforts - good and bad

When the FFP hit the fan Mel defended the club, won and paid the price by buying the stadium which is virtually worthless without DCFC as an entity. Something he cemented after the Americans wanted out 

What exactly do you mean by trust ? .. you don’t trust him to win the league ? or because a financial consortium didn’t do what they promised to do ? or Cocu didn’t turn our journeymen into a Championship Barca  ? Pathetic logic

10 minutes ago, jono said:

During Mels tenure ...

When the FFP hit the fan Mel defended the club, won and paid the price by buying the stadium which is virtually worthless without DCFC as an entity. Something he cemented after the Americans wanted out 

What exactly do you mean by trust ? .. you don’t trust him to win the league ? or because a financial consortium didn’t do what they promised to do ? or Cocu didn’t turn our journeymen into a Championship Barca  ? Pathetic logic

Ticket prices will have a free market price ceiling - too high and no-one will buy them. 

We lost more money than was necessary is the suggestion - our recruitment was poor and expensive.

The Academy was already doing okay - what has it contributed financially so far, Bogle and Lowe? As for the squad, well we're fighting relegation, so it's not that impressive.

Managers backed by Mel without any seeming eye on the financial implications if things didn't go well (hint: they didn't).

The stadium isn't worthless and as has been suggested, the leaseholder will get rent but also maybe the profits from 'no-site activities'.

And so on...

Lots of big talk from Erik. Seems a good bloke to be fair. Hopefully his intrests are fully within the club because we’re a very attractive prospect. A cheap club with superb facilities with a good stadium and class fans. Just sort the first team out and jobs a goodun. Also interesting he wants to improve the scouting. Been our week point for years 

26 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

'He plans to recoup his investment with promotion to the Premier League' .....seems a really high risk financial strategy for any serious businessman? 

How else would an investor in a championship club recoup any significant investment? Also, he’s probably trying reinforce his ambition to get us up there.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How else would an investor in a championship club recoup any significant investment? Also, he’s probably trying reinforce his ambition to get us up there.

He wouldn't? He would be aware its  probably a great way to lose money hand over fist... So it's either a vanity project or he plans to asset strip or resell quickly as a reserve plan ? 

53 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

'He plans to recoup his investment with promotion to the Premier League' .....seems a really high risk financial strategy for any serious businessman? 

Absolutely. Good luck to him with that strategy. 

23 minutes ago, jono said:

You talked about trust. The truth is that the football industry is messy, tough, complicated and very difficult particularly in the 2nd and 3rd tiers. If you want to look at a ratio of money spent to success achieved them maybe Mel didn’t do very well compared to some of his peers, but just remember this, Wigan went bust, Wednesday got a 10 point deduction, Luton had a scandal, Bolton all but collapsed. 

During Mels tenure ...

I'm not sure I did. I said that Mel Morris trusted the wrong people and I stand by that. I am not sure the examples of Wigan, Wednesday and Bolton are especially good. They overspent and paid a high price. We have come very close. Are we to give Mel Morris credit for overspending and getting away with it? I am not going to do that.

Do I trust Mel Morris? I would leave him with my pint whilst I went for a slash. I'd let him babysit my kids. I would always believe he had the best interests of the club at heart. Trust? Yes. Free ride? No.

People on here have suggested that the owner can do what he likes because it's his money; others that Morris 'lived the dream' or some such stuff. I don't know if they are the same people that talk about 'our club' and that we will all be here long after this player or that manager etc has left. The two are antithetical.

As I suggested earlier in the thread, I am not self-obsessed or arrogant enough to believe that what I think will or should have any impact on the club but that isn't going to stop me from being concerned about what is happening at the moment or of being critical of the owner and the mistakes he has made. Backing a series of managers then sacking them, leaving the next fellow with players he couldn't use showed poor judgment, as I have already stated, along with other areas, that later meant that the club no longer owned its own ground, amongst other things.

I haven't said anything about winning the league or becoming the next Barcelona. That has come from your imagination.

I can't argue that it's not pathetic to think these things but that's because I don't recognise how it might apply.

50 minutes ago, jono said:

During Mels tenure ...

I understand what you are saying but are we in a better position at the end of his tenure than we were at the start?

Just now, Abu Derby said:

He plans to live in Derby with his wife and kids. No doubt he hasn’t taken a stroll around town yet. 

To me that is a good sign that he plans to move to Derby, we're not going to be rich mans toy he can mess with from afar. Moving locally imo means he plans to be invested the club and the area long term