El DerbyCo

roboto

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

And what would you have proposed fans did about any off field matters they disagreed with then?

People can bleat all they like about how someone chooses to run their business and who they do or don't decide to sell it to, our only choice (in normal times) is either to go to games or not go to games. The rest is just white noise.

I think fans can have a great deal of influence over how a football club is run. I also think Mel Morris is well aware of the influence of fans. That's why he did things like sit amongst fans at various times, invite members of this forum for PR breakfasts and so on. Why else would he visit this forum in the first place if it weren't to gauge the opinions of fans?

It's not white noise when fans start to get vocal about wanting a manager out. Why would it be at any other time? Fans call for this that and the other and the owner gets cheered for providing such things, even when it jeopardises the club's finances.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's not white noise when fans start to get vocal about wanting a manager out. Why would it be at any other time? Fans call for this that and the other and the owner gets cheered for providing such things, even when it jeopardises the club's finances.

So we should have demanded that Mel stop spending his own money on buying new players for the football club then? Simple really.

4 minutes ago, one_chop said:

What I'm struggling to get my head around is why on earth would you buy a second division club as an *investment* ?

Potential.

Get Promotion asap, If not, Then money down the drain

30,000+ crowds Even if winning in the Championship, 33,000+ possible with extending the ground

Modern Stadia, Altho a little soulless for me

Moor Farm, A 1st class training facility

Excellent Burger vans outside ?

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

So we should have demanded that Mel stop spending his own money on buying new players for the football club then? Simple really.

It was the clubs money. And became the club’s debt. 

50 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

His judgment has been questionable on many occasions.

The number of managers he has hired.

The quality of managers he has hired.

The transfer policy.

The financial state of the club.

Sam Rush.

The fiasco over the previous takeover is evidence enough that people have every right to question what is happening.

Quite common in most clubs. The candidates all had suitable CV’s ... None of us were fundamentally opposed to any of the appointments at the time. We might have had a dislike of either Pearson’s 1970’s PE teacher mode or the razzmatazz of Lampard but they were all typical of football. We have had every variety with the exception of trying to recruit the sort of tough guy agricultural manager with a “proven record” (although Pearson might fit that bill) . where everyone would have moaned about the lack of ambition.

The transfer policy “errors” started with Bryson and Hughes being injured in the same match which lead to panic buying at inflated prices. At the time, these were seen as bold, supportive and positive moves. Your are eating hindsight by the KFC family bucket load.

The financial state of the club ? .. Mel filled it with money .. some spent well, some badly .. We haven’t had a fiscal mismanagement situation or anything “taken” from the club by Mel. We got in a mess on FFP and Mel coughed up by buying the stadium and paying the club money for it.

Sam Rush ? Is Mel really responsible for another man’s ethics ? ( or lack of them ? ) 

The fiasco ? .. Someone broke their pledges or didn’t meet their obligations .. it wasn’t Mel. Maybe Mel shouldn’t  have trusted them but good business and life is defined by trust. You have to start somewhere. Has anyone thought about Mel here ? He has obviously had some serious health issues yet he hasn’t flinched from being a DCFC man 

yes, for sure, be sceptical or wary of new owners, we all are, we care about our club, but Mel has been a straight shooter from day one. Some of the things he’s done or wanted to do didn’t work out but he is trustworthy beyond doubt . Now maybe those he has trusted are sharks .. but that’s a different story. 

I cannot believe how you have such a judgmental attitude to a guy who has given his best efforts and a shed load of money to this club. Your judgement is littered with an astounding lack of logical analysis. 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Quite common in most clubs. The candidates all had suitable CV’s ... None of us were fundamentally opposed to any of the appointments at the time. We might have had a dislike of either Pearson’s 1970’s PE teacher mode or the razzmatazz of Lampard but they were all typical of football. We have had every variety with the exception of trying to recruit the sort of tough guy agricultural manager with a “proven record” (although Pearson might fit that bill) . where everyone would have moaned about the lack of ambition.

The transfer policy “errors” started with Bryson and Hughes being injured in the same match which lead to panic buying at inflated prices. At the time, these were seen as bold, supportive and positive moves. Your are eating hindsight by the KFC family bucket load.

The financial state of the club ? .. Mel filled it with money .. some spent well, some badly .. We haven’t had a fiscal mismanagement situation or anything “taken” from the club by Mel. We got in a mess on FFP and Mel coughed up by buying the stadium and paying the club money for it.

Sam Rush ? Is Mel really responsible for another man’s ethics ? ( or lack of them ? ) 

The fiasco ? .. Someone broke their pledges or didn’t meet their obligations .. it wasn’t Mel. Maybe Mel shouldn’t  have trusted them but good business and life is defined by trust. You have to start somewhere. Has anyone thought about Mel here ? He has obviously had some serious health issues yet he hasn’t flinched from being a DCFC man 

yes, for sure, be sceptical or wary of new owners, we all are, we care about our club, but Mel has been a straight shooter from day one. Some of the things he’s done or wanted to do didn’t work out but he is trustworthy beyond doubt . Now maybe those he has trusted are sharks .. but that’s a different story. 

I cannot believe how you have such a judgmental attitude to a guy who has given his best efforts and a shed load of money to this club. Your judgement is littered with an astounding lack of logical analysis. 

None of what you say here disproves poor judgment by Mel Morris. In fact you even admit as much. He trusted the wrong people - poor judgment; Money spent badly - poor judgment; panic buying - poor judgment etc.

Nobody doubts Mel Morris' dedication. It's quite possible to appreciate his effort and question the results at the same time.

Are the positive posters here the same people as the positive posters on the Abu Dhabi thread? I suspect so.

Did we heed the warnings from the Newcastle fan?

This guy Erik, may be good, may be bad, may be somewhere in between but, you know, we've all read the same things and my gut instinct is that this guy is more mouth than trousers. Always trust your gut instinct.

I fail also to understand why, if there's a 'Dream' owner waiting in the wings, Mel doesn't wait 3 or 4 weeks for it. No sense to it, he's waited this long so why is it all of a sudden a rush job?

None of this adds up to me.  I take no pleasure in it.

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

None of what you say here disproves poor judgment by Mel Morris. In fact you even admit as much. He trusted the wrong people - poor judgment; Money spent badly - poor judgment; panic buying - poor judgment etc.

Nobody doubts Mel Morris' dedication. It's quite possible to appreciate his effort and question the results at the same time.

Sure, but judging his judgment with hindsight is tacky and unworthy. Then implying you can’t trust him is a bit like saying no one is allowed to make errors .. would that we all lived in your world of unimpeachable faultless club owners that you can pick from any old tree.

Given your moniker and football in general

Who would you trust the most from: you have 10 votes to cast and can give multiple votes to any one candidate 

Mel Morris

Joe Anderson

Sam Rush

Derek Hatton 

Owen Oyston 

Nigel Pearson 

Mike Ashley 

The EFL

Sky Sports

The premier League

Mel gets all 10 from me 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Sure, but judging his judgment with hindsight is tacky and unworthy. Then implying you can’t trust him is a bit like saying no one is allowed to make errors .. would that we all lived in your world of unimpeachable faultless club owners that you can pick from any old tree.

Given your moniker and football in general

Who would you trust the most from: you have 10 votes to cast and can give multiple votes to any one candidate 

Mel Morris

Joe Anderson

Sam Rush

Derek Hatton 

Owen Oyston 

Nigel Pearson 

Mike Ashley 

The EFL

Sky Sports

The premier League

Mel gets all 10 from me 

I'm sorry but you've lost me. What has this to do with anything? What has how much I might trust Joe Anderson or Owen Royston got to do with criticising Mel Morris? 

If you are happy with Mel Morris' tenure, great. I'm not and I have set out why. Sky Sports and Mike Ashley don't enter into it.

50 minutes ago, one_chop said:

As an investor I would rather invest in a burger van and park it outside Pride Park on match day, that's where a profit is to be made. 

Oh mate... seriously... please tell me you haven't!

Haven't you heard, next season is going to be all about Albondigas, patatas pobres, paella, croquetas de bacalao, Habas con Jamon, Ensalada Rusa, Churros, and tinto de verano!

Ain't not gonna be not no burger van within walking distance of  El estadio, mi amigo!  

@one_chop... What a plonker! ?