Jump to content

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

More from The Athletic report...

They say the funds are coming from the Alonso family's personal wealth, plus a consortium of other investors.

So a direct contradiction of Kieran Maguire

They go on to say they expect the EFL to approve the deal without any hitches.

I don't believe that Maguire has any inside knowledge at all - not sure why people are so keen to hang on every word he utters....

Edited by Gaspode
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

can a 29 year old do what many experienced businessmen couldn't do, run the club financially and steady the ship? 

he talks the talk on twitter how the good days will be back, which i love his enthusiasm , BUT i have doubts, 

 

seeing as he is a in the boxing game, he be handy for forest away next season lol

He’s better not get on the wrong side of the Notts Forest owner if he lives in a wooden house. 🥵

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I don't believe that Maguire has any inside knowledge at all - not sure why people are so keen to hang on every word he utters....

Ryan Conway is only saying what he’s been told by the new owners or associates of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I don't believe that Maguire has any inside knowledge at all - not sure why people are so keen to hang on every word he utters....

He doesn't, none at all. He's a teacher after all, why would he? He does speak some obvious bollards that he isn't pulled up on....

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Ryan Conway is only saying what he’s been told by the new owners or associates of them.

The cheek of it, a journalist asking questions of the very person who may have some answers! Granted, he may not be honest but it's a better start than trawling Sheff Wed forums as per Maguire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Exactly - not a fan of Conway but he does have contacts and does seem to be right more often than he's wrong. Maguire seems to trawl google and social media for his inside track.....

May I ask why you are not a fan of Conway? He seems to have great sources around the club, and some of his articles about Derby have been to a very high standard and provided great insight on a variety of topics. The only thing I don’t like at times are his ‘tactical’ pieces. It’s a shame local journalists don’t go into the same depth that he does.

Just to bring it back on topic, the article also mentions looking at the way the club look at recruitment!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Problem with that (if true) is that Morris gets to keep all the profits from the concessions at the stadium - the club will get no benefit from in stadium sales. My local club Oxford United do not own their stadium; the former owner does and the revenue loss is such that they have been desperately seeking somewhere to build a new stadium for years. 

I feel sorry for all those running shops and all the money from sales going to whoever is leasing the property out...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

In my experience it's standard for anyone on the left to label anyone who disagrees with them "far right". It's the nature of the polarized societies we live in, driven in large part by social media algorithms.

For balance you could've acknowledged that that happens both ways. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, enachops said:

Summary of Athletic article:

Pride Park included in sale.

Alonso family form part of consortium along with several others.

Dad was on Real Madrid board.

Family have experience of football business/ marketing

Morris likely not to be involved moving forward.

Formality it seems of passing EFL test.

Not part of VOX.

Role at Sheffield Wed involved engagement/transparency with fans.

Another good article by Ryan Conway, sounds promising.

https://theathletic.com/2463267/2021/04/08/erik-alonso-Derby-countys-proposed-new-owner-and-what-it-means-for-mel-morris/

This article certainly makes this deal look a lot more ideal than I first expected.

 

3 minutes ago, enachops said:

May I ask why you are not a fan of Conway? He seems to have great sources around the club, and some of his articles about Derby have been to a very high standard and provided great insight on a variety of topics. The only thing I don’t like at times are his ‘tactical’ pieces. It’s a shame local journalists don’t go into the same depth that he does.

Just to bring it back on topic, the article also mentions looking at the way the club look at recruitment!

I'm not a fan either to be honest. I'm sure he writes a number of good pieces but I just don't get the impression it's much more than I already knew anyway. Maybe it stems back to when he first started and his ITK pieces turned out to be a load of ****?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, enachops said:

May I ask why you are not a fan of Conway? He seems to have great sources around the club, and some of his articles about Derby have been to a very high standard and provided great insight on a variety of topics. The only thing I don’t like at times are his ‘tactical’ pieces. It’s a shame local journalists don’t go into the same depth that he does.

Just to bring it back on topic, the article also mentions looking at the way the club look at recruitment!

 

The couple of times I've heard him interviewed he's come across as an arrogant whotsit who loves the sound of his own voice. Not doubting his contacts and journalistic skills - just a bit too far up himself for my liking.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt many read his articles as they’re behind a pay wall, then maybe make up opinions on content they’ve not read but only heard second hand in a Chinese Whisper kind of way?

Maybe I’m one of those too, I’m going to cut the guy some slack on reflection.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

The Athletic is this morning reporting that Erik has nothing to do with Vox and is stopping them for using his name.

 

Screenshot_20210408-074312.png

Really? I can't imagine a respectable far right party like Vox would operate in that way. If you can't trust the far right, who can you trust?

Good news about Alonso though. I hope he turns out to be ultra woke. Will be interesting to see people who were happy to ignore any dangerous political views he may have, then lose their heads if he does/says anything they deem unacceptable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The couple of times I've heard him interviewed he's come across as an arrogant whotsit who loves the sound of his own voice. Not doubting his contacts and journalistic skills - just a bit too far up himself for my liking.....

I gave him a lift back to Leeds (where he used to live) from Derby after a match  just after he started reporting on Derby. Wasn’t arrogant at all. He’s a nice bloke, enthusiastic and has immersed himself in the club. Doesn’t take himself too seriously and strikes a good balance between analysis of tactics, players and the different personalities he comes across at our football club 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Really? I can't imagine a respectable far right party like Vox would operate in that way. If you can't trust the far right, who can you trust?

Good news about Alonso though. I hope he turns out to be ultra woke. Will be interesting to see people who were happy to ignore any dangerous political views he may have, then lose their heads if he does/says anything they deem unacceptable.

image.gif.b94086ccc42e9a88b91925dceed8d73c.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.