El DerbyCo

roboto

9 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Great - I wasn't overly keen on an owner with links to a fairly dubious UAE regime, but at least it was indirect and some allowances could be made for cultural differences. Now it seems Mel is selling the club to someone who is so far right that he has stood for election as a representative of an actual neo-Fascist party.

Getting harder to justify that season ticket. 

That's ok, I'll buy two.  (just to the right of the director's box).

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46422036

"..Vox has a plan to deport migrants legally entitled to be in Spain if they have committed an offence, and wants to prevent any migrant who comes in illegally from staying.

The party, which proposes to "make Spain great again", opposes abortion and same-sex marriage.

.. It has also sought to roll back legislation aimed at protecting women from gender violence, claiming it discriminates against men."

It's not keen on Catalan autonomy or the reburying of Franco's body to a 'low-key' cemetery.

Wonder which bits of the Vox party manifesto our boy Alonso is keen on?

Deporting immigrants who break the law is a standard approach in many countries.

Angela Merkel recently voted against same-sex marriage in the German Parliament, where the ruling party are her Christian Democrats and therefore religiously influenced conservatives. 

In my experience it's standard for anyone on the left to label anyone who disagrees with them "far right". It's the nature of the polarized societies we live in, driven in large part by social media algorithms. 

I'll judge him as I find him.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Deporting immigrants who break the law is a standard approach in many countries.

Angela Merkel recently voted against same-sex marriage in the German Parliament, where the ruling party are her Christian Democrats and therefore religiously influenced conservatives. 

In my experience it's standard for anyone on the left to label anyone who disagrees with them "far right". It's the nature of the polarized societies we live in, driven in large part by social media algorithms. 

I'll judge him as I find him.

Dig a bit deeper then

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Financially, it makes complete sense not to buy the stadium. 1 off payment of £80m to buy vs £1.1m per season to rent.

Problem with that (if true) is that Morris gets to keep all the profits from the concessions at the stadium - the club will get no benefit from in stadium sales. My local club Oxford United do not own their stadium; the former owner does and the revenue loss is such that they have been desperately seeking somewhere to build a new stadium for years. 

Edited by Jayram

2 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Problem with that (if true) is that Morris gets to keep all the profits from the concessions at the stadium - the club will get no benefit from in stadium sales. My local club Oxford United do not own their stadium; the former owner does and the revenue loss is such that they have been desperately seeking somewhere to build a new stadium for years. 

Further, unless the rental lease for dcfc is legally watertight there may be clauses to allow other "events" to take place. 

Remember Wembley cup final 1970...the stadium had just been used for the horse of the year show... 

image.thumb.png.f0e55f6133e639a287fe6a5278eeb15c.png

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Finally.

Does this mean that I can finally put the baba ghanoush and sheep's eyes in the bin and make a paella?

Nasi  Goreng by the sounds of it mate. And while we’re at it , pre season in Bali will suit me just fine.

26 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The Athletic is this morning reporting that Erik has nothing to do with Vox and is stopping them for using his name.

Screenshot_20210408-074312.png

Saw someone respond to this saying that he still follows a lot of Vox people on Twitter. I understand that following someone on Twitter doesn't equate to support. I follow Donald Trump on Twitter (at least before he was banned) and I think he's a Gibson.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a 29-year-old 'promoter and entrepreneur' with limited self-made wealth has a propensity to talk out of his arse.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Summary of Athletic article:

Pride Park included in sale.

Alonso family form part of consortium along with several others.

Dad was on Real Madrid board.

Family have experience of football business/ marketing

Morris likely not to be involved moving forward.

Formality it seems of passing EFL test.

Not part of VOX.

Role at Sheffield Wed involved engagement/transparency with fans.

Another good article by Ryan Conway, sounds promising.

https://theathletic.com/2463267/2021/04/08/erik-alonso-Derby-countys-proposed-new-owner-and-what-it-means-for-mel-morris/

Edited by enachops

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

More from The Athletic report...

They say the funds are coming from the Alonso family's personal wealth, plus a consortium of other investors.

So a direct contradiction of Kieran Maguire. 

They go on to say they expect the EFL to approve the deal without any hitches.

The ambition and drive from a young wealthy owner backed by investors is just what we need. It’s working for Leeds, I recently watched the docuseries first season and he soon realised the amount of money it requires and it’s not possible without other investors. We have all the foundations so let’s hope with some good decision making and a bit of luck we get back up there soon! 

can a 29 year old do what many experienced businessmen couldn't do, run the club financially and steady the ship? 

he talks the talk on twitter how the good days will be back, which i love his enthusiasm , BUT i have doubts, 

seeing as he is a in the boxing game, he be handy for forest away next season lol