El DerbyCo

roboto

11 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Genuine question. If the ground is part of the deal, who will be the new owners? Surely it would be the buyers, not the club?

Highly unlikely the ground is part of the deal, if I was Mel I would keep ownership and use the rent to pay down the loans he took out on the ground.

I don't know who wouldn't be nervous about this. We're apparently handing the club over to unknown backers fronted by a dude whose only experience in second division UK football led to him leaving the club after allegedly promising things he couldn't deliver on and then by all accounts made himself an absolute nuisance. Why on earth would we want to touch this guy with a 100ft bargepole unless we were  on the brink of financial collapse? 

We don't know the inside story yet and I really hope I'm proven wrong but I'm far from convinced. It just feels like Mel is simply trying to sell the club as quickly as possible to anyone who happens to show they have enough cash to buy us. 

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It will be interesting to know the situation of the stadium. As I understand it, the ground was purchased by a separate company owned by Mel Morris. Will he continue to own it, I wonder? Rent it to the club? Or is it part of the deal?

At the moment the ground is owned by one of Mel's Gellaw companies.  It's then leased back to the club on a long term underpriced deal.

The new owners might buy it, or they might not.  We will have to see.  If they buy it, they may keep it in a separate group or put it back in the club or a subsidiary.  Who knows but I guess all options are open.

But Mel's going to want 80m and if he sells it for significantly less, can the EFL use that to reopen the "valuation" argument?

If he keeps PP, I wonder what nasties lurk in that cheap leaseback?

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't know who wouldn't be nervous about this. We're apparently handing the club over to unknown backers fronted by a dude whose only experience in second division UK football led to him leaving the club after allegedly promising things he couldn't deliver on and then by all accounts made himself an absolute nuisance. Why on earth would we want to touch this guy with a 100ft bargepole unless we were  on the brink of financial collapse? 

We don't know the inside story yet and I really hope I'm proven wrong but I'm far from convinced. It just feels like Mel is simply trying to sell the club as quickly as possible to anyone who happens to show they have enough cash to buy us. 

Fear not. The EFL fit and proper person test will ensure the club is safe...

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Well at least the last bit is a slight improvement on the last mob...