El DerbyCo

roboto

17 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

(these are just my thoughts on the matter, which aren't worth any more than anyone else's - i'm not looking to start a political debate on a Derby fans forum!).

I studied a bit about Vox at Uni a few years ago. Obviously, i'm not an expert on Spanish politics, but I can say that his association with them does concern me, and I do think some things are bigger than football. There isn't really an exact UK equivalent - their views are far more extreme than UKIP but they aren't proponents of fascism like the NF or BNP. 

A quick skim of the internet revealed that their leader called for another Reconquista of the Muslim population in Spain in 2019 - for anyone who knows their Spanish history, this is pretty awful. 

I've seen some people point out that there wasn't this much outrage over the Shiekh, which is fair, but I would say this is slightly different in that we know for a fact how Alonso has been involved politically. The Shiekh's history was as unclear as his takeover attempt was.

I've also seen a few 'keep politics out of football', or 'its not his politics that matters' posts. I respect that for some, it is simple to separate the morality of happenings around football from the sport itself. But for me, and presumably others, it isnt that simple and these things matter. The club represents the fans and the city, meaning that in a way the owner does too.

The sad thing is, it really doesn't matter if we are concerned or not. This appears to be going ahead and that's that. All we can hope is that he keeps whatever views he has out of Derby.

My personal view of vox is that they are a populist party looking to exploit a country that is politically polarised with a relatively recent history of extremism.  There are lots of things to not like about them but obviously many people will disagree with me.  The leader appears to like standing with a stoney look chin thrust out ( think Mussolini).  Anyway it is my personal opinion.

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

relax everyone.

There’s no way Uncle Mel will sell us to some dodgy right-wing Spanish fraudster. 

And the EFL fit and proper persons test will be pretty rigorous too.

We gave Spain bargain brits in the sun what do you expect in return.?

Edited by cstand

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So is this guy part of the new board or just a facilitator of the deal? 

Who knows what his real intentions are just got hope it and pray it works out in the long term.

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

I was going to briefly answer your points, but I don't want to turn this into a political thread. I personally pay (probably too) little attention to politics in general to even be able to defend my previous post. The only thing I will say is that I personally would have less potential problem with a member of VOX than a member of a Middle Eastern ruling family member.

Frankly as long as he isn’t either a criminal, a complete admitted misogynist / homophobe / anti semite bigot and doesn’t publicly incite violence or repression of dissent then his personal politics don’t interest me. Add in that maybe he is a VOX reformer ? Do we know ? Should we know ? If we know, is it really for us to pass judgment ?

Thing is we don’t all think the same .. and why should we. ? And why if someone has a different view on tackling an issue are they somehow undesirable, unsuitable or not allowed to voice it ? It certainly shouldn’t reflect on his ability to broker a deal or run a football club. 

I reckon today’s self appointed moralists are every bit as bad, hypocritical, self congratulatory and judgmental as the dyed in the wool old boys of times past. One “establishment” replaces another in near seamless fashion. It’s part of life.

3 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

All this hand wringing over Vox and yet some of you conveniently overlook the misogyny and homophobia of all abrahamic religions, Islam and Evangelical Christians mostly.

Oh, and the Pope's recent heart-warming anti-gay message.

Hypocrites.

That can't be right, I've heard he'd welcome a gay bar in the Vatican.

1 hour ago, Geoff Parkstone said:

I really hope I'm wrong but I can see little positive in this deal.  It seems to be backed by an Indonesian consortium of investors who I fear are biting off more than they can chew.

Frying pan....fire springs to mind.

But at least it means that we might finally be able to file one of our overdue sets of accounts - the June 19 ones and then maybe the June 20 ones so we can see what sort of a disaster we are looking at.

Is it because the investors are possibly Indonesian that you have an issue with? I would imagine that if they have access to a few million to by a football club, they are probably smarter than you are giving them credit for. Would you feel better if they were Swedish or Canadian?

56 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

(these are just my thoughts on the matter, which aren't worth any more than anyone else's - i'm not looking to start a political debate on a Derby fans forum!).

I studied a bit about Vox at Uni a few years ago. Obviously, i'm not an expert on Spanish politics, but I can say that his association with them does concern me, and I do think some things are bigger than football. There isn't really an exact UK equivalent - their views are far more extreme than UKIP but they aren't proponents of fascism like the NF or BNP. 

A quick skim of the internet revealed that their leader called for another Reconquista of the Muslim population in Spain in 2019 - for anyone who knows their Spanish history, this is pretty awful. 

I've seen some people point out that there wasn't this much outrage over the Shiekh, which is fair, but I would say this is slightly different in that we know for a fact how Alonso has been involved politically. The Shiekh's history was as unclear as his takeover attempt was.

I've also seen a few 'keep politics out of football', or 'its not his politics that matters' posts. I respect that for some, it is simple to separate the morality of happenings around football from the sport itself. But for me, and presumably others, it isnt that simple and these things matter. The club represents the fans and the city, meaning that in a way the owner does too.

The sad thing is, it really doesn't matter if we are concerned or not. This appears to be going ahead and that's that. All we can hope is that he keeps whatever views he has out of Derby.

So .. we have established that they are a bit right right wing and a probably tiresomely nationalistic  but not BNP style hate filled nasty yobbos. 
I couldn’t see myself voting for that profile but I absolutely defend their right to express their views and run a football club 

everyone has a view and in a democracy entitled to have it within the law.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Kieran Maguire was just on Radio Derby and mentioned the name Raja Sapta Oktohari as being the money man behind this. Where KM got that information from I don't know as he normally knows the square root of sod all.

He's the bloke on the right

1_Erik-Alonso.jpg

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Kieran Maguire was just on Radio Derby and mentioned the name Raja Sapta Oktohari as being the money man behind this. Where KM got that information from I don't know as he normally knows the square root of sod all.

Only article I could find on his net worth has it at between 1-5 million 

sounds about right then. . .