El DerbyCo

roboto

18 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Surely I can't be the only one who couldnt care less about Alonso's political views? Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion whether we agree with it or not.

Unless he starts to implement any of these supposed views onto Derby County such as not employing gay people or allowing them into ground then what does it matter?

It matters a hell of a lot - I don't expect everyone I meet to share my views on the structure of the Social Contract arising from the Miners Strike but I also don't think you just write off views because they don't directly impact you. If the owner of my football club has extreme right wing - or other - views then I'm not of the mind to just say 'no worries, as long as he buys us a new striker'. Football is not that important.

3 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

But if you were muslim yourself, imagine how you'd feel if someone heavily involved in the hierarchy of your football club supported a political group openly calling for a 'reconquest' of Spain and the deportation of tens of thousands of Muslims. yeah that's a problem to me. 

How would you know if I was muslim or not? 

No one really knows what Alonso will bring to the table, even Wednesday fans know little about him. May as well give him a chance, we’ve been a shambles off the pitch for years, so hopefully he can’t get worse. 

Looking at his sports agency business, no one stands out player wise, Roberto Carlos and Luis Figo are on the coaches/DOF list though! 

As for politics, not arsed at all. It’ll have nothing to do with the football side of things. 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You're not the only one, I'm sure. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who is concerned.

Unfortunately beggars cannot be choosers. I never wanted Mel to waste millions on our club because I never wanted to be in the financial predicament we find ourselves in today desperate to sell to any chancer who wants to make a name for himself. 

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It matters a hell of a lot - I don't expect everyone I meet to share my views on the structure of the Social Contract arising from the Miners Strike but I also don't think you just write off views because they don't directly impact you. If the owner of my football club has extreme right wing - or other - views then I'm not of the mind to just say 'no worries, as long as he buys us a new striker'. Football is not that important.

I understand that and I get his views may upset people but ive seen people say they wont turn up or buy tickets whilst he is in charge which I dont get. Yes if you dont like his views then so be it but you may not like the views of the keeper you just cheered saving a penalty or the random fan you spoke to in the queue for a burger so why let it stop you supporting the club?

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

What about if the person you sit next to has different views to you? You gonna change your seat?

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I can understand peoples concerns fully in terms of the takeover and financially etc but in terms of his political views I just dont get it, until it impacts the club it really makes no difference. Mel aligned himself with the Conservative party, im sure plenty of fans who supported other parties didnt like it but at the end of the day it makes no impact on the club. Also I dont understand fans writing him off due to his Sheff Weds links, he joined them well after they got into trouble.

Us fans have no idea on what political views most of our players and staff support yet we cheer the club on every week.

I am not entitled enough to think that it's my club and it should reflect exactly what I believe. I am also realistic enough to know that most football club owners are unlikely to share my views on a range of matters. But I would like to know more about this fellow's association / support of the far right in Spain. How real is it? How vocal is he likely to be? What actions has he been involved in? Or might become involved in. Vox is not part of the mainstream in the same way as a businessman who votes Tory is. 

Having a poo team is bad enough but is this deal going to damage the club's name and reputation locally and nationally? I'd like to know more about it rather than just accept it unquestioningly.

I really hope I'm wrong but I can see little positive in this deal.  It seems to be backed by an Indonesian consortium of investors who I fear are biting off more than they can chew.

Frying pan....fire springs to mind.

But at least it means that we might finally be able to file one of our overdue sets of accounts - the June 19 ones and then maybe the June 20 ones so we can see what sort of a disaster we are looking at.

55 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I was going to briefly answer your points, but I don't want to turn this into a political thread. I personally pay (probably too) little attention to politics in general to even be able to defend my previous post. The only thing I will say is that I personally would have less potential problem with a member of VOX than a member of a Middle Eastern ruling family member.

as my mother used to say..."would you rather by neck deep in muck or nettles..?"

both are abhorrent disgusting options that shouldn't be anywhere near our club... cheers Mel.

38 minutes ago, JfR said:

All jokes aside, Vox aren't fascist, but they are very right-wing. Fascism is opposed to democracy and liberalism, where Vox supports democracy and are economically (neo)liberal. However, Vox's platform is socially conservative and rooted in Spanish nationalism.

Sam Longson was Tory and Clough was staunch Labour. Which tells you all you need to know about politics. ?

4 minutes ago, roboto said:

Best way would be to ask you openly. Are you Muslim?

No I am not but I am from an Indian family who support other religions but even if Alonso is against these religions too I wouldnt feel aggrieved unless he did something within his power to aggrieve me but I would like to think as a fan base if Alonso came in and said right no muslim, sikh, gay season ticket holders that majority of fans would boycott the games.

24 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Considering Vox run on outright anti-Islam platforms and we have players and fans who are Muslim or have families that are Muslim, It becomes a bit of a problem imo. 

I don't entirely disagree with you on this, but just to put forward another side to this argument: there's a lot to suggest Alonso either lives or has lived in Indonesia, a country with an over 85% Muslim populace, and some have also suggested that Alonso could be fronting a group of Indonesian backers, who, chances are, would be Muslim themselves. Would it be possible that Alonso's position is either less hardline than the Vox party line, or that he doesn't hold those beliefs with particular vigour?

I don't know the answer to this, by the way, I'm just trying to understand why someone involved in an anti-Islamic party could have such close connections to the country with the largest population of Muslims in the world living in it.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I am not entitled enough to think that it's my club and it should reflect exactly what I believe. I am also realistic enough to know that most football club owners are unlikely to share my views on a range of matters. But I would like to know more about this fellow's association / support of the far right in Spain. How real is it? How vocal is he likely to be? What actions has he been involved in? Or might become involved in. Vox is not part of the mainstream in the same way as a businessman who votes Tory is. 

Having a poo team is bad enough but is this deal going to damage the club's name and reputation locally and nationally? I'd like to know more about it rather than just accept it unquestioningly.

This is where it would impact Derby County and where fans should be concerned but until we have evidence it does then give him the benefit of doubt