El DerbyCo

roboto

5 hours ago, BucksRam said:

It's an interesting one this. Anti Money Laundering (AML) regs do require you prove the source of funds.  It's in the EFL's interest to be absolutely certain they're happy that the source of those funds is legit, fully traceable etc, plus of course sustainable.  If in any doubt then they'd be in breach of AML regs to accept this where doubts exist.  Love or hate them, in this respect I would expect they need to follow British law. 

In a previous role I worked with a Spanish bank and their approach to things was very different to ours.  Yes they too have AML laws etc but interpretation is, I believe different.  Their working ethics / practices most certainly were, not least a huge element of deniability, maintaining face and cover your ar5e mentality. It made working with them extremely difficult.  Appreciate this is my experience only.

I remain unconvinced that Alonso had all the backing and transparency required under UK law and since Derby /EFL is in the UK that's the law that applies, even if, apparently his lawyers believed it was all OK.  Like many here have regularly called out, there appeared to be loads of holes in his case.  This latest interview, the principles of which may be true (i.e. had meetings etc) smacks of him trying to save face, cover his ar5e and apportioning blame, something I've seen more than once as referred to above. Is he working with the latest US consortium? I doubt it personally - I see it as a clever use of words saying he supports the takeover whilst hinting he's involved when in likelihood he's nothing to do with it.

Interesting, although POCA has true impact on where the cash splashes.  I am too remote from this and maybe you are.?  Failure to meet SOW SOF standards has legal implications which will mean none of this will be known.

I do believe however that the big challenge was when a payment to escrow was required.  It’s a big step particularly if the money was not wholly his.  This guy is a bs, he was a bs hat and wears bs trousers and he lives in a council flat.  Apologies to Lonny Donegan 

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Interesting, although POCA has true impact on where the cash splashes.  I am too remote from this and maybe you are.?  Failure to meet SOW SOF standards has legal implications which will mean none of this will be known.

I do believe however that the big challenge was when a payment to escrow was required.  It’s a big step particularly if the money was not wholly his.  This guy is a bs, he was a bs hat and wears bs trousers and he lives in a council flat.  Apologies to Lonny Donegan 

The Spanish Kid would not have been able to deposit cash in a British bank account as requested by the EFL because no bank with a branch in the UK would have let him open an account without intense scrutiny and certainly would not have accepted any cash without a full paper trail as to the source of that cash. Money laundering is a very serious offence, HSBC paid a 1.92 BILLION pound fine for accepting dodgy deposits and if you need further proof try buying a house for cash in the UK or USA, you have to provide full transparency as to the source of the funds.

Having cash in an overseas account with a bank statement was apparently not difficult for the Kid but a full explanation as to the source of those funds did not stand up to the EFL's scrutiny. 

How many on here would have been happy for the club to have been purchased and bankrolled with unexplainable monies?

The EFL did the right thing.

7 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

The Spanish Kid would not have been able to deposit cash in a British bank account as requested by the EFL because no bank with a branch in the UK would have let him open an account without intense scrutiny and certainly would not have accepted any cash without a full paper trail as to the source of that cash. Money laundering is a very serious offence, HSBC paid a 1.92 BILLION pound fine for accepting dodgy deposits and if you need further proof try buying a house for cash in the UK or USA, you have to provide full transparency as to the source of the funds.

Having cash in an overseas account with a bank statement was apparently not difficult for the Kid but a full explanation as to the source of those funds did not stand up to the EFL's scrutiny. 

How many on here would have been happy for the club to have been purchased and bankrolled with unexplainable monies?

If you think the UK is a beacon for AML control I fear you are mistaken.

The POCA control is firstly at the control of the lawyer who will be controlling the escrow.  The funds could already be in the uk jurisdiction we just don’t know.  I agree and have said previously that the EFL do appear to have done a proper job in this case.

9 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

One no conscience I’ll take the money from wherever it comes from vote for me. PP would be lovely and toasty in winter with that roof. 

Erik Alonso's on another planet. Reeling off names he'd have signed had he taken over. It's all nonsense. Maybe he did have a bank account full of money, that doesn't mean any of it was actually his or that any of it was going to find it's way to DCFC.

Simple fact is he couldn't answer the relevant questions and he's been sacked off, making him the second time wasting chancer to take Mel for a ride in less than a year.

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Erik Alonso's on another planet. Reeling off names he'd have signed had he taken over. It's all nonsense. Maybe he did have a bank account full of money, that doesn't mean any of it was actually his or that any of it was going to find it's way to DCFC.

Simple fact is he couldn't answer the relevant questions and he's been sacked off, making him the second time wasting chancer to take Mel for a ride in less than a year.

There was a story knocking about that Rooney wasnt convinced by Alonso and he had suggested signing players who couldnt even get a work permit, I suspect the 2 players mentioned would fit into that category.

58 minutes ago, Spanish said:

To be fair yeah pretty remote with only a basic understanding of the rules.  I agree with your Lonnie Donegan quote, I'd even add

Now here's a little story
To tell it is a must
About an unsung zero
That moves away your trust....

39 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Especially when he tried to pay in Pesato's and his excuse was his grandad had been saving up all his life as he knew sometime in the future he wanted to buy a football club

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

There was a story knocking about that Rooney wasnt convinced by Alonso and he had suggested signing players who couldnt even get a work permit, I suspect the 2 players mentioned would fit into that category.

One of them was an Italian playing in Italy and lowly Championship clubs have a pool of about 3 players we're allowed to sign from continental Europe after the Brexit changes. The other chap played in Brazil would also be someone we'd struggle to sign.

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That was how I took the Birch interview from a couple of weeks back, not that anyone agreed on here.

It sounded as though having the funds wasnt the issue, just that the EFL werent satisfied with where the funds come from.

He was asked to effectively place £35 million in escrow. He failed to do so and did not respond to EFL comms requesting an update on the situation for over a fortnight.

It's astounding that anyone still gives credence to anything the pint sized BS artists says. He lied about his backers, he lied about his financial wherewithal, he lied about owning a $42 million mansion, he lied about being involved with the current takeover talks and now he's lying about why his bid fell through. The kid's a fookin joker.

Birch said: “As he said in that piece there, he asked us not to trust his words and we didn’t, we asked for some tangible proof (of funds) which unfortunately he wasn’t able to deliver.”

15 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Didn’t bother the EFL too much where the money is coming from at a club that plays in red not too far from Derby 

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Didn’t bother the EFL too much where the money is coming from at a club that plays in red not too far from Derby 

Or the fact he was under investigation for match fixing. Ok hes been found not guilty but surely should have been told he would have to wait until the charge was dropped or he was found not guilty. 

19 hours ago, enachops said:

Jeez, has Conway done something personal to you - you don’t  seem a fan at all! Think the hate is slightly unjustified.

At least he’s getting something from those involved in these failed attempts. More than can be said for the local journalists. Thought it contained some decent bits. Glad Alonso failed. Absolute chancer. Next! 

I've never met the man and it's not hate it's simply critiquing aspects of his journalism. Getting something from those involved can actually be detrimental if it allows the subject to spin a story that's riddled with falsehoods but makes them appear credible due to a lack of scrutiny. It bothers me that journalists are prepared to interview people without doing a fact check that even some people on twitter managed to do- publishing interviews whilst being unprepared is basically journalistic malpractice.