El DerbyCo

roboto

Just now, Ellafella said:

His family are wealthy wine producers with vineyards in the Rioja region (ie “old” money).

Also Simon Jordan cited EA as a “man of considerable means”. Whilst we might not embrace his pugnacious style, he is a relatively young man from a boxing culture. 

Who would like the Daily Mail poking their nose into private financial dealings and in a cynical way? Is there a public interest motive? Not really. It’s tabloid journalism really. 

Just re-dressing the balance ...jury still out. EA will look a proper Charlie if he can’t back up his words indeed but still too soon to call him out. 

He's said he's not using his family's wealth though and I believe someone dug into their wealth and whilst 200 million is a good chunk of change it's not exactly much if you're running a second tier football club in England. I mean Simon Jordan said he'd heard it from someone I think so I don't know how that person knows Erik. Common sense I think tells us at 29 after 5 fights and being a small time agent he's not going to have tens of millions in the bank lying around. I'd expect him to be wealthy but not football club owner wealthy if that makes sense?

The public interest motive I think is quite clear and it's not exactly a private transaction- it's the taking over of an institution that means a lot to tens of thousands of people. If he isn't expecting people to be scrutinising this then he's not that smart. 

24 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

I can't imagine the money brings him much comfort for his ill health but presumably as he has plenty left we shouldn't be happy that he put all that money in? 

Derby weren't exactly in a great state when he took over, and while I'm sure he could have done things differently if he had run the club as you suggest no doubt all those that claim he should 'put his hands in his pocket' and buy us players would have been even more out in force.

Did he hire the wrong managers, with hindsight yes, but at the time they all seemed like worthy appointments perhaps with the exception of Rooney although it very nearly worked to perfection with Lampard so why not think lightning might strike twice?

It's funny how time makes so many forget and look back with hindsight claiming that they knew this was coming.... 

Most fans were happy when we were throwing money around, now he should have been more prudent, you can't have it both ways 

Mel gambled, rightly or wrongly that we would get to the prem, it failed and now we are paying the price, but you know what, we've been relegated before, as have much bigger clubs than us that are now back on the prem, so while I wouldn't welcome it, and while it would obviously be financially impactful..... If it happens I will still support my club, my team.

I suspect he thought Rooney would get us to mid-table whilst he ‘learned’.

Then from a position of relative strength based on new ownership we might buy the players for a promotion push next season, with stars being swayed by the celebrity manager.

Hasn’t quite worked out like that though.

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

He's said he's not using his family's wealth though and I believe someone dug into their wealth and whilst 200 million is a good chunk of change it's not exactly much if you're running a second tier football club in England. I mean Simon Jordan said he'd heard it from someone I think so I don't know how that person knows Erik. Common sense I think tells us at 29 after 5 fights and being a small time agent he's not going to have tens of millions in the bank lying around. I'd expect him to be wealthy but not football club owner wealthy if that makes sense?

The public interest motive I think is quite clear and it's not exactly a private transaction- it's the taking over of an institution that means a lot to tens of thousands of people. If he isn't expecting people to be scrutinising this then he's not that smart. 

I Don’t disagree with that @Leeds Ram ...perhaps there’s a bit of chicanery going on but hopefully ? the process put in place by MM will prevent the worst case scenario. I have faith in MM and Pearce ...they’re smart chaps and I’d back them every time. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

I Don’t disagree with that @Leeds Ram ...perhaps there’s a bit of chicanery going on but hopefully ? the process put in place by MM will prevent the worst case scenario. I have faith in MM and Pearce ...they’re smart chaps and I’d back them every time. 

Yeah, I really hope that I'm wrong about all of this and it'll all turn out alright and be done quickly so we can get some players in. I get people have faith in Morris, personally I'm out of faith with them following the previous attempted takeovers. 

59 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

I think he originally was of the opinion that he wanted it to go to someone he felt would love the club like he did as a fan...

As time has gone on, his health has deteriorated and absolutely as you've said he's seen that even 200m of his own money doesn't garner you anything but hate and vitriol he probable changed his mind and thought screw it... I just want rid...

Why should he care about the fans now when they have so clearly demonstrated they have nothing but contempt for him?

I’d hardly say Morris has experienced hate and vitriol. Some disgruntled fans on a fans forum is hardly hate and vitriol. His reign unfortunately has been a disaster. I think everyone appreciates his effort and intentions. But I’m afraid he will go down as one of the worst owners in our history. I’m afraid for Morris, despite his huge wealth, he’ll be remembered as a failure as a chairman. We are a huge mess and he is responsible for that, fans have been very patient and understanding given the circumstances.

I still think there’s we just let this carry on and see how it plays out.  Interesting that in both the mail and telegraph articles there’s no comment from the club.  I think phrases like “possible insolvency” are quite inflammatory.  It’s possible we could be in PL champions in 3 seasons, it’s not very probable though.

The only people who really know are Mel, Erik and those at the EFL assessing the bid.  The fact that they’re taking their time is a good thing - it’s being thought through to get the right answer.

I hope Rooney uses all this negativity of the last day or two to create a siege mentality.  But whatever happens tomorrow, whatever division we’re in, we’re still a big club at either level.  We’ll still be an attractive proposition for any future buyer and manager!!

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

22 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

£200mil should be enough to run a second tier football club. Although I agree where his money comes from should be scrutinised. Sounds dodgy 

1 minute ago, enachops said:

I’d hardly say Morris has experienced hate and vitriol. Some disgruntled fans on a fans forum is hardly hate and vitriol. His reign unfortunately has been a disaster. I think everyone appreciates his effort and intentions. But I’m afraid he will go down as one of the worst owners in our history. I’m afraid for Morris, despite his huge wealth, he’ll be remembered as a failure as a chairman. We are a huge mess and he is responsible for that, fans have been very patient and understanding given the circumstances.

That’s a fair assessment, sadly I feel Mel has lead with his heart and not his head. This is a big mistake when running a business and even more so when you are a custodian of a something such as DCFC.

It could’ve quite easily been so very different. 
???

48 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing that really annoys me, is that at the point he took over, we were a pretty solid, well-run club.  We'd spent a good 5 years getting our house in order under Clough.  Some of the football wasn't the best, but we'd made steady improvements.  I was happy to buy into being a bit rubbish for a while because I could see progress was being made, on and off the field.  And at the end of it, we'd got a young, hungry squad with a lot of good players in it.  The wage bill was relatively sensible for a club our size.  McClaren had then come in and kicked things on a bit without really breaking anything, and you could see a real chance of getting up and staying up.

The spending splurge and rash of managerial appointments when Mel took over ruined every single bit of that progress.  So not only have we wasted the last 5 years under Mel, we've also wasted all of the progress we made in the previous 5 years as well.  Whether we stay up or go down, it feels like we need another 5 years of getting our house in order, and I really don't know if I can be bothered to sit through that again at the moment.

Spot on, brother.

The one glimmer of hope may be that cheap rebuilds could be more fun if you have good academy kids in the team. Maybe we are better off in that respect now than 11 years ago... Assuming we don't have to sell them all!

22 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He is turning into Donald trump because he dared to call out some hack on possibly the worst “newspaper” ever..!? Fair play to him I say. 

Why not just put up or shut up?