El DerbyCo

roboto

Just now, ShoreRam said:

John Percy - possibly the most reliable reporter on Derby - talking about a threat of insolvency if we go down.

There’s a “threat” of being squashed by an artic every time you cross the road as well. I think Percy’s stock has slumped recently. 

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When I suggested the very same about a previous Percy article I was poo-pooed and told what a paean of journalism Percy is.

A like from me for use of that word. "Words dissemble, words be quick, words resemble walking-sticks, plant them they will grow, watch them waver so, I'll always be a word-man, better than a birdman". *

Substitute "bridman" for "Florist fan", if you like. 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

A like from me for use of that word. "Words dissemble, words be quick, words resemble walking-sticks, plant them they will grow, watch them waver so, I'll always be a word-man, better than a birdman". *

*Substitute "birdman" for "Florist fan", if you like. 

Lol! It's a bit of a wordy chant though. ?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Lol! It's a bit of a wordy chant though. ?

I like to think that Jim Morrison & The Doors were Rams Fans. "Break on Through (to the other side)", "L E* Woman", "This is the End"**, "Whisky Bar", etc

* Long Eaton

** perhaps inappropriate given tomorrow's potential outcome

26 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I like to think that Jim Morrison & The Doors were Rams Fans. "Break on Through (to the other side)", "L E* Woman", "This is the End"**, "Whisky Bar", etc

* Long Eaton

** perhaps inappropriate given tomorrow's potential outcome

Break on through to the Popside?

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I know we want more transparency around what's happening around the club, but this isn't it.

I'd reply with, what the hell has it got to do with you? This is part of the problem nowadays, these journos think they are entitled.... Maybe we should ask Craig how much he gets paid per article, where is his bank account, what are his sources, 

Turnabout is fair game surely?

5 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

I'd reply with, what the hell has it got to do with you? This is part of the problem nowadays, these journos think they are entitled.... Maybe we should ask Craig how much he gets paid per article, where is his bank account, what are his sources, 

I'd rather someone was 'investigating' the takeover than not and have all the surprises when ownership had changed, too late!

53 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Importantly though, John Percy is a journalist not an expert. You have to be careful throwing out words like insolvency. Given Mel is the the clubs biggest creditor, why would he be concerned by insolvency? That couldn't arise unless he called it in.

Something I thought about this morning, given that Mel Morris is probably aware what people are saying about him on here and elsewhere (on and those 'Fans' groups, 1884, ramsblog etc etc on twitter) would it be a massive surprise if he turned round and gave it a massive F U?

I think he originally was of the opinion that he wanted it to go to someone he felt would love the club like he did as a fan...

As time has gone on, his health has deteriorated and absolutely as you've said he's seen that even 200m of his own money doesn't garner you anything but hate and vitriol he probable changed his mind and thought screw it... I just want rid...

Why should he care about the fans now when they have so clearly demonstrated they have nothing but contempt for him?

Just now, SparxTheRam said:

I think he originally was of the opinion that he wanted it to go to someone he felt would love the club like he did as a fan...

As time has gone on, his health has deteriorated and absolutely as you've said he's seen that even 200m of his own money doesn't garner you anything but hate and vitriol he probable changed his mind and thought screw it... I just want rid...

Why should he care about the fans now when they have so clearly demonstrated they have nothing but contempt for him?

I wonder what the fans would have thought if he'd run us sensibly and within our budget financially? No doubt there'd have been dislike, but there was when he took over - not everyone was keen on him at the beggining.

Must be tough when through your own choices you've only got £500m left owing to your overspending at your own football club.

These are very nerve-wracking times for us all, not only are we staring relegation in the face but appear to be staring at financial disaster too.  I'm surprised given our recent history with dodgy as hell owners who have no money between them that so many are slating the Mail and Percy rather than looking at Alonso. He's 29, had five fights as a boxer and is a small time agent, yet people have no problem believing he can financially keep us running when it seems to have drained the resources of Mel Morris. Seriously, people may not like the Mail but none of this stacks up at all!

He's made claims that no-one can verify and the only other club we know he's been involved with got rid of him and the fans of that club appear to loathe him too. His whole attitude stinks and cries out fraud as far as I can see- usually if someone isn't answering the question but insulting the questioner it's because a) they want them to stop asking questions and b) the question has something in it that touches close to home. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder what the fans would have thought if he'd run us sensibly and within our budget financially? No doubt there'd have been dislike, but there was when he took over - not everyone was keen on him at the beggining.

Must be tough when through your own choices you've only got £500m left owing to your overspending at your own football club.

Good point. Mel can spend his money on whatever he likes. He'll get no hate from me, even if he sells us to a conman. He's not obligated to look out for the best interests of the club over his own, but let's be clear, that's exactly what this is. All the guff he's spouted about being a real fan over the past few years was just hot air. It makes me laugh when people on here break out the violins for him. Somehow I doubt the bailiffs will be turning up at Mel's Sandbanks residence.

1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

There’s a “threat” of being squashed by an artic every time you cross the road as well. I think Percy’s stock has slumped recently. 

It happened to a friend of mine in Dublin. I, meanwhile, was run over by a bicycle. Neither of us died, so it's exactly the same, really.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't imagine the money brings him much comfort for his ill health but presumably as he has plenty left we shouldn't be happy that he put all that money in? 

Derby weren't exactly in a great state when he took over, and while I'm sure he could have done things differently if he had run the club as you suggest no doubt all those that claim he should 'put his hands in his pocket' and buy us players would have been even more out in force.

Did he hire the wrong managers, with hindsight yes, but at the time they all seemed like worthy appointments perhaps with the exception of Rooney although it very nearly worked to perfection with Lampard so why not think lightning might strike twice?

It's funny how time makes so many forget and look back with hindsight claiming that they knew this was coming.... 

Most fans were happy when we were throwing money around, now he should have been more prudent, you can't have it both ways 

Mel gambled, rightly or wrongly that we would get to the prem, it failed and now we are paying the price, but you know what, we've been relegated before, as have much bigger clubs than us that are now back on the prem, so while I wouldn't welcome it, and while it would obviously be financially impactful..... If it happens I will still support my club, my team.

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

Good point. Mel can spend his money on whatever he likes. He'll get no hate from me, even if he sells us to a conman. He's not obligated to look out for the best interests of the club over his own, but let's be clear, that's exactly what this is. All the guff he's spouted about being a real fan over the past few years was just hot air. It makes me laugh when people on here break out the violins for him. Somehow I doubt the bailiffs will be turning up at Mel's Sandbanks residence.

The thing that really annoys me, is that at the point he took over, we were a pretty solid, well-run club.  We'd spent a good 5 years getting our house in order under Clough.  Some of the football wasn't the best, but we'd made steady improvements.  I was happy to buy into being a bit rubbish for a while because I could see progress was being made, on and off the field.  And at the end of it, we'd got a young, hungry squad with a lot of good players in it.  The wage bill was relatively sensible for a club our size.  McClaren had then come in and kicked things on a bit without really breaking anything, and you could see a real chance of getting up and staying up.

The spending splurge and rash of managerial appointments when Mel took over ruined every single bit of that progress.  So not only have we wasted the last 5 years under Mel, we've also wasted all of the progress we made in the previous 5 years as well.  Whether we stay up or go down, it feels like we need another 5 years of getting our house in order, and I really don't know if I can be bothered to sit through that again at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

These are very nerve-wracking times for us all, not only are we staring relegation in the face but appear to be staring at financial disaster too.  I'm surprised given our recent history with dodgy as hell owners who have no money between them that so many are slating the Mail and Percy rather than looking at Alonso. He's 29, had five fights as a boxer and is a small time agent, yet people have no problem believing he can financially keep us running when it seems to have drained the resources of Mel Morris. Seriously, people may not like the Mail but none of this stacks up at all!

He's made claims that no-one can verify and the only other club we know he's been involved with got rid of him and the fans of that club appear to loathe him too. His whole attitude stinks and cries out fraud as far as I can see- usually if someone isn't answering the question but insulting the questioner it's because a) they want them to stop asking questions and b) the question has something in it that touches close to home. 

His family are wealthy wine producers with vineyards in the Rioja region (ie “old” money).

Also Simon Jordan cited EA as a “man of considerable means”. Whilst we might not embrace his pugnacious style, he is a relatively young man from a boxing culture. 

Who would like the Daily Mail poking their nose into private financial dealings and in a cynical way? Is there a public interest motive? Not really. It’s tabloid journalism really. 

Just re-dressing the balance ...jury still out. EA will look a proper Charlie if he can’t back up his words indeed but still too soon to call him out. 

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

His family are wealthy wine producers with vineyards in the Rioja region (ie “old” money).

Also Simon Jordan cited EA as a “man of considerable means”. Whilst we might not embrace his pugnacious style, he is a relatively young man from a boxing culture. 

Who would like the Daily Mail poking their nose into private financial dealings and in a cynical way? Is there a public interest motive? Not really. It’s tabloid journalism really. 

Just re-dressing the balance ...jury still out. EA will look a proper Charlie if he can’t back up his words indeed but still too soon to call him out. 

And equally is too early to call out Mel Morris if this takeover doesn’t happen. Everything everyone says is he’s a man of integrity, he’s massively pro-Derby as a city and bought the football club to try and do something with it. I still can’t believe he would plunge us into administration causing himself problems with his other businesses but also completely ruining his reputation. If he did then he would be another Karl Oyston but I don’t think he is.

Edited by BramcoteRam84