El DerbyCo

roboto

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

“Shoved under the carpet nationally” - is this not an oxymoron? 

the way he's worded it makes it sound so but it's more of a paradox. He's arguing that with it being on a 'bigger show' it might get buried by other topics (i.e., despite the bigger platform it'll receive less attention). Not sure I think that's true given how the internet works but I definitely think it's a way to try and side step more intense questioning from local presenters, put it on a national show that know fu** all about this club's affairs. 

I don't know how simon jordan knows eric alonso and he himself says he's heard it from someone so for all those convinced I'm not in the slightest. There is not a cat in hell's chance a 29 year old failed boxer and small time agent has the cash to run this club on his own so the money is coming from somewhere other than him. 

53 minutes ago, Anon said:

Agreed.

In the example shown in this thread the guy didn't just question why radio Derby hadn't got this interview, I'm sure the reply would've been far more civil if he did, but specifically called out Dawes and his colleagues for "poor journalism". I don't care who you are, if you choose to frame a question in this aggressive manner you'll likely receive a reply in kind.

Whilst that is true, Journalists are supposed to have 'sources' aren't they?

If a journo has no sources, then he can't be much of a journo surely?

I like Ed though ? 

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't think any media outlet should be applauded for publishing factually incorrect information.

They have not really forced the issue, they have forced someone to have to come out and defend themselves against their made up story, and in the meantime many fans have now decided this guy is a 'chancer' on the back of this story.

I think most of us think he's a chancer based on what the wendies think of this guy, his 'claims' of being involved with other clubs that have no evidence backing them up and the fact he's claiming to be funding this himself when basic logic tells you he's not. Alongside his 3rd rate attempts at showmanship to win us around to his bid that smack of the desperation you usually see in greasy haired used car salesman. 

8 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think most of us think he's a chancer based on what the wendies think of this guy, his 'claims' of being involved with other clubs that have no evidence backing them up and the fact he's claiming to be funding this himself when basic logic tells you he's not. Alongside his 3rd rate attempts at showmanship to win us around to his bid that smack of the desperation you usually see in greasy haired used car salesman. 

trouble is this just the sort of dirty water Mel is fishing in now

3 hours ago, Topram said:

Talksport have been great for Derby these last couple of years tbf not a fan of Jim White but we’ve definitely been kept updated by them

Kind of embarrassing really that we rely on talksport to keep us updated rather than the actual club letting us know what is happening

This issue Radio Derby is that they just don't seem to have any sources or contacts beyond the official channels. Fair enough that the club refuses to talk to them, but I somehow doubt John Percy has the club as his only source. 

Maybe they had their hand bitten badly by Colin Gibson and his comment about the dressing room under Nigel Clough.

That said, you really need to listen to any other local radio station in order to realise how good we have it. It's local radio. Not national radio. Comparing Radio Derby with talkSport is not a like for like comparison.

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Kind of embarrassing really that we rely on talksport to keep us updated rather than the actual club letting us know what is happening

I do have sympathy for the club's situation.  Regular updates tend to hurt at a later date it is just the way of the world.  I was worried when Mel and the crew were doing those roadshows because when things go wrong it takes great communicators to keep doing the comms when times are bad.  The club should keep it's head down and only announce facts at the appropriate times.  The sad thing is what are we going to do, go off and support Fester because they communicate better and are more successful.  No of course not.

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Maybe they had their hand bitten badly by Colin Gibson and his comment about the dressing room under Nigel Clough.

Huh? Thats Gibbo who now works for that 'hand'? Or have I misunderstood you.

I still think they're not talking to RD because more fans would hear it.

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

This issue Radio Derby is that they just don't seem to have any sources or contacts beyond the official channels. Fair enough that the club refuses to talk to them, but I somehow doubt John Percy has the club as his only source. 

That said, you really need to listen to any other local radio station in order to realise how good we have it. It's local radio. Not national radio. Comparing Radio Derby with talkSport is not a like for like comparison.

It could be to do with OB and Gibson jointing DCFC media and leaving Radio Derby? Poacher turned gamekeeper scenario? 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Huh? Thats Gibbo who now works for that 'hand'? Or have I misunderstood you.

I still think they're not talking to RD because more fans would hear it.

Colin Gibson works for the club, but Radio Derby itself may have changed policy about broadcasting speculation since then. That was my point

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

This issue Radio Derby is that they just don't seem to have any sources or contacts beyond the official channels

I don't think that's the case.

I think the relationship between club and local media has changed dramatically in the past few years.  

The club used to need the local media to get their message out. If the local media upset them, there was little that could be done.

But now there is Facebook Live, RamsTV, YouTube and more, it's no longer a relationship amongst equals. The local media need the club much more than the club need the local media.

And so local media must not upset the club in any way.

That's just the way it is these days.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

How does putting the stadium in his name but not refinancing it ensure he can buy players with it?

I’m guessing it’s 80 million out of his money gone straight away whereas he could pay it staggered like a normal mortgage meaning the 80 million now could be used to buy players. Not saying he’s going to spend 80 million straight away on players 

28 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The local media need the club much more than the club need the local media.

And so local media must not upset the club in any way.

I don't think it's quite as extreme as that, but fundamentally Radio Derby need to maintain a working relationship with DCFC to be able to do their job.  If they aren't getting reliable access to the club, pre-match and post-match interviews etc, they're going to struggle to fill their programs up on a Saturday afternoon, deliver daily sports bulletins etc.  That doesn't mean they aren't going to be critical of the club, but likewise they aren't going to go all in on a random rumour without some confidence that it's true.  The other locals (Derby Telegraph, Ryan Conway etc) will all be in the same boat to some degree.

A national journalist has none of that pressure, he can just report a random rumour and then move onto the next random rumour for his next story.

5 hours ago, GenBr said:

Not everything the Daily Mail writes is false. 

But I agree Mel couldn't possibly have chosen another chancer to take over the club. I refuse to believe such an outlandish story and I'm sure our Spanish friend has already passed the fit and proper persons test.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on both of us." Stephen King

"Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."  George W. Bush

4 hours ago, Topram said:

Talksport have been great for Derby these last couple of years tbf not a fan of Jim White but we’ve definitely been kept updated by them

Likewise not a huge fan of Jim "the best connected reporter in football" White mainly because of the complete circus sky turned the transfer window into. 

But he does make some good points unlike the fat drunkard that is Alan Brazil.....