El DerbyCo

roboto

2 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Sold it to himself, what is your point?

The point is that the club doesn't own it anymore. Mel Morris does. We also have a big mortgage on the training ground. When Mel sells up there is no guarantee the stadium goes as well.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

I do wonder if to try and secure Championship status if Alonso will add any extra financial incentive, like a bonus, if we stay up.

I know it shouldnt be needed but if it worked who cares.

I doubt it would make any difference..

There is absolutely nothing in that Natalie Jackson interview. 

We’re on the verge of relegation to league 1 and have many players out of contract, bills still to pay and we are losing money hand over fist. Of course we’re in the poo, we have no income because we are still in a ducking pandemic!! There are many other clubs in the poo financially it’s just not in the press. 

None of this means we’re going to lose our club or we’re going to go into administration. Only way that will happen is if Mel has ran out of money. It would make no sense to liquidate and as someone who genuinely cares for the club he wouldn’t do it unless he had absolutely no choice.

I also notice everyone some are adamantly speculating we’re going to get a points deduction now when for months the consensus has been it will be a fine worst case. 

We have a massive threat of relegation yes, but it seems the gloom of this is leading people to speculate our Armageddon is just around the corner when there is nothing other than a random tweet from Collymore which he’s now deleted, a news report from natalie Jackson that says nothing, and stories about the EFL questioning Alonso’s money - which they should be doing as part of following due process to ensure the takeover is above board.

The only genuine known concern facing the club is whether or not we will be in the championship next season.

Pretty much exactly what I feared RE the EFL fit and proper test. Seemed to be taking much longer than I’d expect ( think even Sheikh Khaled was cleared in a day and he didn’t have a penny!) so something is clearly up. I suspected that Alonso was being coy about his potential backers because there might be something dodgy about them, and it seems that is indeed what the EFL are investigating. Given it’s gone on this long, I’m starting to think they’re actually going to turn him down, which is almost unprecedented for the “fit and proper” test! Probably good news as I wouldn’t feel this club is in safe hands with a man associated with Matt Southall, but equally it’s not in safe hands with Mel. He’ll sell to any charlatan who makes an offer, so God knows who the next bid will be accepted from!

I also don’t trust a man who would want to buy a football club seriously threatened by relegation. Surely you’d wait until we go down to pick us up at a cheaper price? Doesn’t exactly scream good businessman.

At least the players do have relegation clauses to reduce their wages though. It’s something you’d expect, but relieving to hear nonetheless. Should reduce the financial impact on the club, and help us adapt to the lower Leagues.

38 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The point is that the club doesn't own it anymore. Mel Morris does. We also have a big mortgage on the training ground. When Mel sells up there is no guarantee the stadium goes as well.

Mel ('s other company) also owes the club up to £80m for the stadium. Essentially, anyone buying the club, gets the stadium for free, just by agreeing to wipe off that debt owed to the club.

It's no secret that Mel's struggling to free up enough cash to keep the club running. He'll want rid of that debt ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Pretty much exactly what I feared RE the EFL fit and proper test. Seemed to be taking much longer than I’d expect ( think even Sheikh Khaled was cleared in a day and he didn’t have a penny!) so something is clearly up. I suspected that Alonso was being coy about his potential backers because there might be something dodgy about them, and it seems that is indeed what the EFL are investigating. Given it’s gone on this long, I’m starting to think they’re actually going to turn him down, which is almost unprecedented for the “fit and proper” test! Probably good news as I wouldn’t feel this club is in safe hands with a man associated with Matt Southall, but equally it’s not in safe hands with Mel. He’ll sell to any charlatan who makes an offer, so God knows who the next bid will be accepted from!

Trevor Birch has joined the EFL since then and is overseeing the process. He wouldn’t have been involved with the Khaled bid.  Hence it will be much more thorough than ever before which is what we want surely? 

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Trevor Birch has joined the EFL since then and is overseeing the process. He wouldn’t have been involved with the Khaled bid.  Hence it will be much more thorough than ever before which is what we want surely? 

Yeah good point, hopefully he will make the checks much stricter - we don’t want any more situations like Wigan. If the EFL stop the takeover bid, believe me that’s good news.

9 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Perhaps Mr Collymore could explain what he means or keep his mouth shut. Sadly, whilst I can’t see us disappearing like Bury, things I have heard for quite a while indicate that administration could well be on the way. Cash your season ticket refund cheques quickly! 

It is all character building. That’s the way I think I will look at it. That Rotherham on a Friday night feeling might be a few years away but we will get there eventually. 

In the days when the Sheikh was still around there was a Daily Mail article which revealed some of the terms of the sale contract (which was never signed). It indicated that MM had required short term capital to be made available to the club as part of the closing. I can’t believe that requirement has not been included in Alonso’s deal, so if it proceeds I think we’ll remain solvent, at least for a while. 

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What makes you say the Sheikh was done in a day? We heard about him passing the test and the club released a statement the same day but the is no indication of when they first started the testing process. Also, as mentioned already, Birch is now in charge of the test whereas he wasnt around during the Sheikh fiasco.

I'm not concerned about financial disaster (yet) because Mel still has enough to run us even if he's desperate to be rid of the club, there are 2 more potential buyers if Alonso falls through and there is just no evidence of impending doom. The big priority has to be on the field and staying in the division- not focusing on a tweet by Stan Collymore of all people.