El DerbyCo

roboto

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We're going to need: a good striker, a good attacking midfielder, some defenders at least so probably minimum 5-6 class signings and keeping all of the young players. So easily £20-30m could be spent in the summer to make the team a viable top 6 outfit.

Being more realistic, perhaps £10m with a good chunk on a striker and reasonable bargain shopping the rest would see some good progress.

How much did Byrne cost?  There are lots of clubs who are totally strapped, plenty of good players will be cheap. If we can just scout them well.  And Rooney’s team selection indicates some of our youngsters will be on the move (if not on loan). Don’t think P&S allows us to spend the amounts you mention 

Think it’s as much  about good decisions as dosh 

4 minutes ago, winktheram said:

Only been around about 270years. They own most of the land around Spondon and surrounding area. 

Ok ....well that’s a new one. I don’t recall any reference to Locko Estates when we were submitting planning applications.

Edited by RamNut

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Clean the dogshit and glass of the Ramarena and sell the whole of moor farm to a developer. Get some cash in for a striker. 

A depressing thought but probably won’t be far off the reality. God knows where any money is going to come from.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

How much did Byrne cost?  There are lots of clubs who are totally strapped, plenty of good players will be cheap. If we can just scout them well.  And Rooney’s team selection indicates some of our youngsters will be on the move (if not on loan). Don’t think P&S allows us to spend the amounts you mention 

Think it’s as much  about good decisions as dosh 

You're quite right,I was just working on speculation around £20m because Alonso said he'd pay £20m for the right player.

There are going to be bargain players out there.

Advice needed...

I've got a personal wealth of around 1 billion and looking to invest this money. I want to stay in the background though and let someone else manage my investment.

Someone has contacted me about investing a 100 million odd in a football club. I'm not sure football clubs are the best investment vehicles, but this guy seems the real deal. He has done a sports management degree and has had a few boxing fights.

Should I go for it?

Mel never owned Moor Farm outright, it was always on a long term lease. The only difference is that the lease is currently used as the security against an MSD loan. Interestingly, I think this is separate to the main loan and it could be treated as a separate entity. Maybe there is some room to manoeuvre, although quite what the plan would be is hard to guess. I remember Mel getting frustrated with the local council as they kept rejecting planning applications. Mel's investment in Moor Farm looks now to be a part of the past, so Alonso could walk away from it if there are barriers. 

9 hours ago, winktheram said:

Only been around about 270years. They own most of the land around Spondon and surrounding area. 

Yes iF I recall correctly DCFC have never owned the land always been in a very long lease with a “peppercorn “ (low rent). DCFC own the buildings but with the land being on green belt with very strict planning applied ( as Mel has found out ) this would be of no use or value to any “asset strippers” as it can only be used as a training ground or agricultural use. I suppose they could sell the buildings and rent the training facilities but the returns wouldn’t be worth the bother 

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

You would have thought so but in the interview with Chris Coles, he said it would just be him and that he has the wealth to fund the club. Although, he did say later down the line he may need to bring in external backers and sponsorships. All very mysterious anyway.

That contradicts his earlier interview with TalkSport where he said it was a consortium of backers (but with him as the lead investor)

It’s difficult to see why anyone would want to buy a football club other than to strip it of its assets or as a vanity project. No matter how much money you have surely you would want to limit your own risk by sharing it with other investors, if you can find some. 

From to the last weeks press it appears that the purchase of Derby might be a vanity project.  

It does make you wonder where the money has come from.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd