El DerbyCo

roboto

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Really? I can't imagine a respectable far right party like Vox would operate in that way. If you can't trust the far right, who can you trust?

Good news about Alonso though. I hope he turns out to be ultra woke. Will be interesting to see people who were happy to ignore any dangerous political views he may have, then lose their heads if he does/says anything they deem unacceptable.

I look forward to BLM investing in a team and all those people willing to take the right's shilling having a meltdown!

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Why would the Vox party want to use his name and likeness? Who does he think he is, Connor McGregor? And if so, why would he follow multiple prominent members of that party on Twitter if you’re concerned about being associated with them?

Just looked through the list of who he follows, and Santi Abascal, the leader of VOX, is the only politician I could see. The list was made up 95% boxers, a few football related, and a couple of celebrities. Doesn't  look as though he's deeply involved in VOX. I know many people (and I mean many) who  agree with many things that VOX promote. When they first came on the scene there was a lot of interest. Obviously the ultra rights have attached themselves to the party as being the nearest to their thinking, but then many have attached themselves to Podemos, the most left wing of the popular parties. I imagine that like Podemos have done since taking some power by a coalition, VOX would change their tune once in power. As I said in a previous post though, I pay little attention to politics in general and am probably speaking out of the wrong orifice.

3 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Just looked through the list of who he follows, and Santi Abascal, the leader of VOX, is the only politician I could see. The list was made up 95% boxers, a few football related, and a couple of celebrities. Doesn't  look as though he's deeply involved in VOX. I know many people (and I mean many) who  agree with many things that VOX promote. When they first came on the scene there was a lot of interest. Obviously the ultra rights have attached themselves to the party as being the nearest to their thinking, but then many have attached themselves to Podemos, the most left wing of the popular parties. I imagine that like Podemos have done since taking some power by a coalition, VOX would change their tune once in power. As I said in a previous post though, I pay little attention to politics in general and am probably speaking out of the wrong orifice.

Seeing as you’re in/from Spain, your insight is massively appreciated ?

I don’t know much about the Vox Party, and don’t want to delve into politics on here at all really. I’m more concerned by Alonso’s excuse...”they’re using my name and likeness?” Really, fella? Why would they do that? Smells a bit fishy to me...

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I feel sorry for all those running shops and all the money from sales going to whoever is leasing the property out...

It’s not the same thing  though is it? In a retail environment only a portion of the sales goes to cover the cost of the rent. In a football ground not owned by the club 100% of sales goes to the owner of the ground - 0% goes to the club. 

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

It’s not the same thing  though is it? In a retail environment only a portion of the sales goes to cover the cost of the rent. In a football ground not owned by the club 100% of sales goes to the owner of the ground - 0% goes to the club. 

Bull poo. All matchday revenue goes to the club. The only grey area is money generated on non-match days due to hiring of rooms for conferences, etc...

There is absolutely no way Mel would put everything he possibly could to keep us right up against the P&S limit to then cut our spending power by over £10m per season.

55 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Exactly - not a fan of Conway but he does have contacts and does seem to be right more often than he's wrong. Maguire seems to trawl google and social media for his inside track.....

I'm the opposite. I like Conway and I think The Athletic is a brilliant resource, but I don't get the sense that he has great contacts. I was a little disappointed when, as @Ghost of Clough says, his early ITK pieces 'turned out to be a load of ****'.

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If we West Stand fans become the Rioja and Manchego brigade does that make us worse than Keane's prawn sandwichers?

12 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Interesting - And somewhat reassuring to know he only follows the leader (who we all know from Uncle Nige can be fairly humorous figures_)

I'd also say from a political standpoint a lot of parties like the BNP have done well in the past by appealing to people on local issues - If they have one real issues which affects your personal life it's easier to 'support' them than the bigger parties who talk about tax reform, funding the right parts of the state, economic policy and societal values which are so lofty many can't get on board with them because they struggle to see how they affect day to day life (as quite often they don't)

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm the opposite. I like Conway and I think The Athletic is a brilliant resource, but I don't get the sense that he has great contacts. I was a little disappointed when, as @Ghost of Clough says, his early ITK pieces 'turned out to be a load of ****'.

I'm not sure Ryan Conway has particularly deep contacts (at the moment), but, he's also young in his career. He obviously is good at talking to the people in and around the club. If he keeps doing a good job, contacts, favours, people willing to share a titbit with him will all grow. It's just the nature of the profession. He clearly is perceptive, understands his field, good with people etc, so he has all the makings of a good sports journalist.

The Athletic as a whole I imagine has to have some decent contacts around the game.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm not sure Ryan Conway has particularly deep contacts (at the moment), but, he's also young in his career. He obviously is good at talking to the people in and around the club. If he keeps doing a good job, contacts, favours, people willing to share a titbit with him will all grow. It's just the nature of the profession. He clearly is perceptive, understands his field, good with people etc, so he has all the makings of a good sports journalist.

The Athletic as a whole I imagine has to have some decent contacts around the game.

Aye, good point.

But he has to be careful. If I were him, I wouldn't make vague allusions to being ITK until I knew for sure that I was ITK (i.e. on John Percy's level).

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Further, unless the rental lease for dcfc is legally watertight there may be clauses to allow other "events" to take place. 

Remember Wembley cup final 1970...the stadium had just been used for the horse of the year show... 

image.thumb.png.f0e55f6133e639a287fe6a5278eeb15c.png

And the long distance Pigeon throwing competition.

Some observations -

It looks like at points this thread was subject to a coup attempt to turn it into the politics thread. 

Should the term WASP not now be considered a bit racist? Just asking.

If the bloke really is dubious I imagine he will be boiled alive by the Media and Social Media, and I would HOPE the EFL tests would flag him up.

I think Mel was great - he did his best to blast us into the Prem - it didn't work, mainly as we didn't get the rub of the green. Thanks Mel. I can't imagine he would sell us into a bad situation.

I will wait and see, I don't think the dice have stopped rolling yet. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Seeing as you’re in/from Spain, your insight is massively appreciated ?

I don’t know much about the Vox Party, and don’t want to delve into politics on here at all really. I’m more concerned by Alonso’s excuse...”they’re using my name and likeness?” Really, fella? Why would they do that? Smells a bit fishy to me...

You're right, it does sound strange, especially as no one here seems to have heard of him! It wouldn't be the first time that someone's image or work has been used without permission however.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bull poo. All matchday revenue goes to the club. The only grey area is money generated on non-match days due to hiring of rooms for conferences, etc...

There is absolutely no way Mel would put everything he possibly could to keep us right up against the P&S limit to then cut our spending power by over £10m per season.

Well that’s not the case at Oxford United who have a similar scenario with the former club owner still owning the ground and getting all the revenue from the concession sales as well as the non-football events. Let’s hope you are right and the club come to a different arrangement with Morris.