Is Rooney good for player development ?

kevinhectoring

26 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Watson wasn't being played as a winger. If you listen to Rooney, he was asked to defend on the left but in possession he had a free role, which I'm sure is what you would approve of him having. Knight has never been asked to play as a winger. Similar rules apply, when in possession he joins in inside. 

Sibley's been discussed plenty and in his interview he admitted he'd been too enthusiastic and rash, and now he's learning to be calmer or more mature. It's good learning, and it's good management all round. 

As I said, we've been watching entirely different games.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Watson wasn't being played as a winger. If you listen to Rooney, he was asked to defend on the left but in possession he had a free role, which I'm sure is what you would approve of him having. Knight has never been asked to play as a winger. Similar rules apply, when in possession he joins in inside. 

Sibley's been discussed plenty and in his interview he admitted he'd been too enthusiastic and rash, and now he's learning to be calmer or more mature. It's good learning, and it's good management all round. 

I can't remember the last time we even deployed "wingers". Blame Pep, he brought in a new style of play, you see it with Foden, where although they hold a position without the ball, with it the three are interchangeable.

Seems our youngsters aren't able to play like that according to some ?

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So we don't know that Sibley is best through the middle or that Watson isn't a winger. We don't know that Knight is a midfield ratter not a winger. I could go on but honestly, I think I must be watching a different side to some on here.

We do but all of those situations have been justified - 

Knight - player outwide when he first came through last season, plays in the middle now but on occasion this season where we have had CMs available and no wingers he’s done a job for us. 

Sibley - had plenty of opportunity’s to stake his claim to CM earlier in the season and didn’t take them. Tuesday is the first time he’s looked back to his best this season. I do think he looks pretty comfortable as a Left winger too. 

Watson - Has had 1 competitive start. No one knows where he will end up, he had an opportunity on Tuesday to show he’s good enough to handle himself in the championship. 

I just think you’re idealistic. That’s not how football works.  

On 17/03/2021 at 09:40, Duracell said:

Judging Rooney on his player development is like judging an officer's military strategy when they turn up for their first day of the new job - and it's the Battle of the Somme.

Interesting analogy and I’m not a WW 1 historian. But you don’t want to win the battle you want to win the war. This means that if you have talented youngsters, you need to pick the squad for tomorrow’s match with a eye to how your selection will develop your youngsters for games and years to come.  I get the ‘we’re in a relegation battle’ point. But this is about balance and I don’t think he’s got the balance right. Knight may be the exception, but I’m not sure any of the other youngsters have been brought on this season the way we would have liked 

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

No he didn't!

Screenshot_20210318-195304.thumb.png.3a513b656c39051306a8f1968d665ee7.png

I've given up mate. Honestly, folk on here are just making poo up as they go along. Sibley's had loads of opportunities, Knight's never been played out wide, Watson wasn't out wide either last game... Best just to nod, smile and move on sometimes ?‍♂️

On 17/03/2021 at 12:48, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I couldn't think of a better right back for Joz to play in front of. Byrne a right back has shown a winger how to cross a ball. The player with the most assists should never be a right back in any team in any league. 

Trippier got 17 assists the season Burnley went up.

12 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Yes, but I'm not sure what difference it makes?

Those who claim he was dropped after that game, when he wasn't available anyway. I think it took him a while to be fully fit. Pretty poor that since then he has only made above 75 mins 3 times!

On 17/03/2021 at 13:34, Big Trav said:

Give joz an arm round the shoulder is the best way. You can tell just in the few games he’s played he is a massive confidence player. He’s had a hard time settling in by the sounds of it. New country new food new cultures. Double that up with a pandemic and he can’t see his family friend or girlfriend I’d expect him to not settle well. His bestfriend *bielik* is now out for 9 months. The lad needs comforting rather than the hairdryer. 

New food? Have you not seen how many Polski Skleps are around these days?

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Trippier got 17 assists the season Burnley went up.

I was very keen for Derby to go for him after his loan at Barnsley.  Think he only cost about 500k.  Remember Kevin Philips playing against us a couple of games into his Watford career back in the days when they were pants and he was excellent.  Hoped we'd sign him as he only had a short contract - 300k to Sunderland .  I'm wasted really, reckon I could get us promotion for a couple of million.

16 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I've given up mate. Honestly, folk on here are just making poo up as they go along. Sibley's had loads of opportunities, Knight's never been played out wide, Watson wasn't out wide either last game... Best just to nod, smile and move on sometimes ?‍♂️

Or, or, wait for it, just listen to what the manager said, and accept you're wrong. Accept that Watson had a free role when in possession but that he didn't really show it, for a whole load of reasons.

I'd prefer to listen to the manager's explanation, but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

50 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Or, or, wait for it, just listen to what the manager said, and accept you're wrong. Accept that Watson had a free role when in possession but that he didn't really show it, for a whole load of reasons.

I'd prefer to listen to the manager's explanation, but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

Chill your tits matey. Sorry I don't share your opinion on this but that's all it is. No need to be banging on about 'narratives' and the like.

Rooney says, "We asked him to play from the left defensively, but when we have the ball to almost have the freedom to come inside and pick up positions we felt could cause Brentford problems" but that it didn't work out yadda, yadda, yadda so he yanked him off a half time. How that constitutes good player development only you will know. Probs best leave it there anyway as this is tedious AF. Obviously you feel, Rooney is doing a bang up job with the young'uns, some of us don't. That's where it starts and finishes really ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Chill your tits matey. Sorry I don't share your opinion on this but that's all it is. No need to be banging on about 'narratives' and the like.

Rooney says, "We asked him to play from the left defensively, but when we have the ball to almost have the freedom to come inside and pick up positions we felt could cause Brentford problems" but that it didn't work out yadda, yadda, yadda so he yanked him off a half time. How that constitutes good player development only you will know. Probs best leave it there anyway as this is tedious AF. Obviously you feel, Rooney is doing a bang up job with the young'uns, some of us don't. That's where it starts and finishes really ?‍♂️

Whether your 19 yrs old or one of the senior pros in the team and your not doing the job asked of you by management then you run the risk of being substituted , dont understand this witch hunt of Rooney hes doing a good job under the circumstances

10 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Whether your 19 yrs old or one of the senior pros in the team and your not doing the job asked of you by management then you run the risk of being substituted , dont understand this witch hunt of Rooney hes doing a good job under the circumstances

What witch hunt would that be? The title of the thread is do people think he's doing a good developing young players? Some people, myself included, don't think he is right now. Doesn't mean I want him gone, as I've stated clearly on several other threads, only that the likes of Sibley could have been handled better. Am I not as entitled to an opinion as you, or do I need your permission to post? It's feckin weird the way some of you lot throw a hissy fit every time someone has the temerity to be critical of the man.  ?‍♂️

Archived