v Stoke City (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

Marshall

Wisdom   Mengi   Clarke

Byrne   Knight   Shinnie   Buchanan

Sibley

Kazim-Richards   Lawrence

Roberts is unlucky to miss out, but I thought we saw the best of Sibley as a true No.10 behind 2 Center Forwards, so keep with that shape up front, which im not sure how we fit Roberts into? Knight & Shinnie have to play as a 2 deeper together. Both natural in that position and cover so much ground & pick up 2nd balls. I think we look a better side with 3 at the back. It also allows Byrne more freedom to get forward and ge is our biggest attacking threat.

COYR

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Marshall

Wisdom   Mengi   Clarke

Sibley

Roberts is unlucky to miss out, but I thought we saw the best of Sibley as a true No.10 behind 2 Center Forwards, so keep with that shape up front, which im not sure how we fit Roberts into? Knight & Shinnie have to play as a 2 deeper together. Both natural in that position and cover so much ground & pick up 2nd balls. I think we look a better side with 3 at the back. It also allows Byrne more freedom to get forward and ge is our biggest attacking threat.

COYR

Phil Gee?

1 hour ago, chewbacca said:

Cresswell training with the 1st team today, Chance he might make the bench for the first team squad this weekend? Be nice to see an academy forward hit the goal trail given a chance..have a feeling it might be Cresswell

Beat me to it, I was about to say about Cresswell was training with the first team, makes me wonder if Kaz is out.

36 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Beat me to it, I was about to say about Cresswell was training with the first team, makes me wonder if Kaz is out.

Yeah, looks like Kaz is doubtful according to Wayne...unless it's just a bit of a Red Herring to Stoke?

2 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Cresswell training with the 1st team today, Chance he might make the bench for the first team squad this weekend? Be nice to see an academy forward hit the goal trail given a chance..have a feeling it might be Cresswell

Just a precaution at this stage. Gregory is unavailable, Kazim is doubtful, potentially leaving just Waghorn with no other cover.

Cresswell deserves it. He's been great all year, but has recently regained his scoring form from 18/19.

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Roos

Wizzy     Edmundson    Clarke

Byrne         Knight   Shinnie        Fozzy

Sibley

Waggers      Lawrence

I'd probably have Mengi instead of wiz but otherwise that looks pretty reasonable ?

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'd probably have Mengi instead of wiz but otherwise that looks pretty reasonable ?

For me a toss up between Edmundson and Mengi, his extra height wins it for the former. Surprised after Tuesday that some are advocating a flat back 4 ?

52 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Rooney mentioned about playing Lawrence as a false 9, or having no striker at all up front.

Feeling very nostalgic about this. Shades of playing Johnny Russell at centre forward in our 2014/15 car crash. Memories.

Don’t need a striker if you don’t want to score goals 

16 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Marshall

Wisdom   Mengi   Clarke

Sibley

COYR

Sibley, Roberts and Lawrence are creative as a combination if Colin is out.

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

Rooney mentioned about playing Lawrence as a false 9, or having no striker at all up front.

Feeling very nostalgic about this. Shades of playing Johnny Russell at centre forward in our 2014/15 car crash. Memories.

More like our 1-0 loss to Huddersfield under Cocu.

Knight, Lawrence & Jozwiak actually played pretty well as a front 3 that day, despite the lack of a goal to show for it.

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Sibley, Roberts and Lawrence are creative as a combination if Colin is out.

Without CKr and Gregory we have little aerial threat except from set pieces. So perhaps Watson central midfield, and Sibley Lawrence and Roberts ahead of him. Play football on the ground  

Archived