v Stoke City (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wiz works well in a back 4. He’s hopeless if Byrne is too advanced. As we saw today. Edmundson is the utility man and the one to pick in your formation 

Wisdom works well in a back 4 when the opposition don't target him in the air. If they do, he has an awful game and becomes a liability. At least in a back 5, he'd have Clarke and Edmundson either side of him to compensate.

This is how we treat our youngsters: Watson has one half out of position in a dysfunctional 11 ... then we drop him. Seriously ? Hope they have a good therapist 

So you'd have him in the middle over Sibley? He'll be fine in games where we have loads of possession. Good enough as an impact sub but not ready to start.

How does Buchanan now justify his place?  He’s just getting more and more flimsy and most of his crosses are beyond embarrassing. We’ve not shown any serious threat down the left since ... can’t remember. 

I don't recall him being targetted last night. One mistake early on and struggled a bit when Watson lost his man- not Watson's fault, he shouldn't have been played as a winger.

For me the team picks its self really 

Marshall 

bryne wis clarke fozzy

shinnie knight

roberts sibley lawrence

ckr (if unavailable then waggy I think??)

cba to put the players in their actual places as it’s too much effort. But I think bird needs time in the u23s. I don’t think I’ve seen him look forward for months now. 

14 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Makes me laugh now Stoke have forbade Gregory to play against them, the devastating goal machine that he is. 

I think you'll find that is the EFL rule for the league. It is different for cup games where it is at the parent club's discretion.

Marshall 

Mengi   Wisdom  Clarke

Byrne                                    Forsyth 

Shinnie 

Roberts       Sibley       Lawrence 

Kaz 

43 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Buchanan needs a rest. He’s starting to hide from forward runs. Plays backwards most of the time. Never quite looks in control. Fozzie has more experience and a much better delivery and forward pass rate 

He's had a very good season overall, but he is looking tired - we've asked a hell of a lot of him and Knight this season.

16 minutes ago, Rammed79 said:

Marshall 

Mengi   Wisdom  Clarke

Byrne                                    Forsyth 

Shinnie 

Roberts       Sibley       Lawrence 

Kaz 

I would have Edmundson in for Mengi simply for extra height and would probably stick with Roos otherwise agreed ?

17 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wiz works well in a back 4. He’s hopeless if Byrne is too advanced. As we saw today. Edmundson is the utility man and the one to pick in your formation 

This is how we treat our youngsters: Watson has one half out of position in a dysfunctional 11 ... then we drop him. Seriously ? Hope they have a good therapist 

How does Buchanan now justify his place?  He’s just getting more and more flimsy and most of his crosses are beyond embarrassing. We’ve not shown any serious threat down the left since ... can’t remember. 

I’ve always thought Wiz looks good in a back three, I like edmundson but with Clarke and Mengi I’d prefer a bit more experience with Wiz in there and Marshall behind them. 
I think Watson looked okay in patches in that first half but ultimately the players that finished that game got us back in the game yesterday. Who do we drop for Watson? He didn’t do enough to warrant starting above Knight Sibley Shinnie or Lawrence.

The alternative is Forsyth either or to me.  Fozzy can still whip in a worldie cross but Buchanan still offers a lot even when he makes mistakes I’ve found. Maybe he could do with a spell on the bench. 

When I look at a squad I always look at the balance of Form/Ability and their experience/nouse

Defence 

expirienced - Marshall/Wiz

young talent - Mengi/Clarke 

Wingbacks 

Expirienced - Byrne

Young Talent - Buchanan 

Midfield 

Experienced - Shinnie/Lawrence 

Young Talent - Knight Sibley 

Forward

Exp - CKR 

Whereas I like to see youth play, I like to see it not put in an environment where they are set up to fail. I’d rather them be benched and put the older heads in especially when we’re struggling. 

Marshall

Byrne       Wisdom      Clarke     Forsyth

Knight      Shinnie

Roberts       Sibley     Lawrence 

Kazim

Tempted to play Mengi or Edmundson as Wiz has had a poor couple of games,  but wanted to avoid too many changes in the back line, this game is right for Foz as Buchanan struggled again.

The front 6 picks itself based on the other night 

And our Number 1 back in goal 

Roos  Marshall   

wisdom Clarke forsyth

byrne  knight.  Buchanan

Jozwiak. Sibley. Watson. Roberts

Waghorn.   CKR.  Gregory 

Archived